Thread: XP under Linux system requirements

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

XP under Linux system requirements

hi
    I'm curious about what kind of a system you would need to run XP well under a linux distro like ubuntu in something like virtualbox? I know they say 512mb of RAM with 1gb recommended, but I mean to run it well with apps like photoshop or illustrator or other heavy load programs.

I'm asking because I want to use linux, but I need to run a lot of graphics and video apps (like adobe ones) that are still not properly supported in WINE.

Is it realistic to run those kind of apps in a guest windows in virtualbox? And if so, what kind of specs would you need to do so fairly effectively?
    Currently I'm on a Dell dual core XPS m1210 with 1gb of RAM, but I'm guessing this machine would not be able to handle it properly...

PS: It would also be nice to run compiz and so on on the host while running xp as a guest... but I'm guessing that will take the requirements even higher yes?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: XP under Linux system requirements

I Would Recommend At Least 2GB Of Ram - 3 If You Really Want Max Performance.

However I Can't Seem To Get My Photoshop Running In A Fullscreen Resolution In Virtualbox - So I Use VMware Server - Its Free But You Have To Compile It Yourself.

Also - You Need To Be Sure To Set The Monitor And The Ubuntu's Colorization Settings To Defualts - Otherwise You Won't Get Very Accurate Colors In Your Images.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My Dell E1606n works fine with only one gig of RAM and VMware Server. I use heavy graphic editing when on the road and find with its Core 2 Duo at 1.77GHz everthing is just fine, consisting all things. See my signature.
    Last edited by fjgaude; March 13th, 2008 at 05:38 PM.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,16G RAM | Dell Laptop 11.6" N3050.
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win8 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

However I Still Recommend At Least 2GB One Of The Reasons Is It Is Better To Dedicate An Entire Stick Of RAM 2 Windows Than Just One Stick Split In Parts - Its Also More Stable In Situations Where Data Loss Is Of Utmost Importance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Technically I don't follow your logic regarding RAM sticks... So be it.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,16G RAM | Dell Laptop 11.6" N3050.
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win8 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Thanks for the info. I might give it a try on my machine and see how it goes...
    But I won't get my hopes up trying to run xp with 512mb ram under a virtual machine and then throwing photoshop at it (x.x)