Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: SSH Tunnel Firefox

Beans

Re: HowTo: SSH Tunnel Firefox

I made the suggestion on the FoxyProxy forum here
    Last edited by vik.vaughn; March 23rd, 2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: link

Beans

God! Thank you a thousand times Wormser! I knew this thing existed but I just didn't know the ssh switch. MOUAHAHA now I can check Wikipedia, read the news, install freenet and say a big "allez vous faire foutre" to all the censors.

(I live in China)

Life rocks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I too have been wanting to know how to do this. I'm anxious to try it now. Do I have to change any settings on my router to allow this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yes on the router you need to port forward the ssh port to the server. Most ssh servers listen on port 22 by default, so if you are sticking with the default configuation you would port forward port 22 from the router to the IP address of the ssh server.

I would highly recommend however you change your sshd_config file to run ssh on another port -- not port 22. Port 22 is often scanned by script kiddies and other nefarious network scanning tools on the web. If you run your ssh daemon on another port, say port 2222, then in order to connect it would be:

ssh -D 9999 -p 2222 -C me@ipaddress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you. I will definitely try this the next time I am away from home.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you have multiple programs with which you would like to use an SSH tunnel with, a better option may be to System > Preferences > Network Proxy. Very similar setup as with the firefox dialog

Check Manual Proxy configuration
    Socks host : localhost: port
    Close

Then in Firefox, just check off the "Use system proxy settings" option in the dialog where you configured the proxy before.

This way, if you want to use Pidgin or IRC or whatever with the SSH tunnel, you don't need to re-configure them everytime you use a public wifi router. You can just toggle between "Direct Internet connection" and "Manual proxy configuration" from the System > Preferences > Network Proxy dialog. Of course this only works if those programs have a "use system settings" option, I know that Pidgin does this automatically at least.
    Last edited by se2131; April 30th, 2008 at 08:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For those ppl trying to figure out how to get this to work with Opera (which doesn't support SOCKS natively for some reason), look to this:

http://www.plenz.com/tunnel-everything

Here are the steps based off of that article

1) sudo aptitude install tsocks (you may already have this)

2) sudo nano /etc/tsocks.conf

3) Comment out everything in that file

4) At the end of the file, add these two lines:

Code:
    server = 127.0.0.1
    server_port = 9999
    5) Save and close

6) Start your SSH session: ssh -D 9999 user@server

7) run "tsocks opera"

The great thing about tsocks is that you can run a lot of programs through it (maybe all? dunno).

Beans

I've always used ssh on windows and mac, but I can't get this to work on my xubuntu machine. I can connect via putty, but firefox won't recognize what I'm doing.

I can get it to work from my terminal...just not from putty. The terminal would be fine except that I don't want to jump into the terminal and type ssh -D 1088 -p 80 username@ipaddress.com every time I want to get online.

Is there a quicker way? (I'm a linux noob)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by knottshawk View Post
    I've always used ssh on windows and mac, but I can't get this to work on my xubuntu machine. I can connect via putty, but firefox won't recognize what I'm doing.

I can get it to work from my terminal...just not from putty. The terminal would be fine except that I don't want to jump into the terminal and type ssh -D 1088 -p 80 username@ipaddress.com every time I want to get online.

Is there a quicker way? (I'm a linux noob)
    I realize you posted this a while ago, but couldn't you make a bash alias? Uncomment these lines from .bashrc:

Code:
    if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
        . ~/.bash_aliases
    fi
    Then edit your .bash_aliases file, and add an entry like this:

Code:
    alias commandname = 'ssh -D 1088 -p 80 username@ipaddress.com'
    Then all you would have to do is open a terminal and type in 'commandname'. Same amount of effort as opening a putty session and connecting that way

Beans

Just a note, there is a great app in the Repo's to do this from a GUI call gSTM (Gnome SSH Tunnel Manager).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast