Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will there ever be a good and working Gnome menu?

Beans

Will there ever be a good and working Gnome menu?

I've now tried (as far as I know) all the available gnome menus, and they all seem to fall short in one way. The reason I like having only one menu is because I like to have just one panel (with window list on it). Here's the problems I've had with the ones I've tried:

Normal menu

Unintuitive and requires too many clicks to open things...

Normal menu with one button

Even if you customise it, it's not good if you don't like lots of menus to open things

Gimmie

Very laggy/slow and creates a window in the window list for no reason

SLAB menu (Gnome-main-menu)

I'd use this but I can't customise the filemanager which opens when you click on folders, and I don't use recent documents and can't hide it.

Mint Menu

I'd also use this but it crashes the gnome settings daemon on restart.

I'd be grateful if anyone knew how to resolve some of these problems...
    Last edited by Mazza558; March 15th, 2008 at 09:01 PM.

Beans

Re: Will there ever be a good and working Gnome menu?

Aha, I've found out that's a new (and customisable) version of the gnome-main-menu, and apparently the one in the repos is ages old. I've found the svn of it, I think, and need to know how to get this installed (svn noob):

http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gnome-main-menu/trunk/

Beans

What about USP (Ubuntu System Panel), the menu that Mint Menu is based upon? It works great for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by M7S View Post
    What about USP (Ubuntu System Panel), the menu that Mint Menu is based upon? It works great for me.
    It looks horrible in my opinion...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Did you know that you can customize the way things are organized in the menu by going to Menu->System->Preferences->Main Menu

You can even pull all of the apps out of the folders and put them all into a few mega folders. I have not figured out how to remove all the sub-menus and have just the apps sitting out in a line. I am not too sure I would personally want to do that, but I was testing to see if it was easy to do to let you know about it.
    The angels have the phone box!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by LeoSolaris View Post
    Did you know that you can customize the way things are organized in the menu by going to Menu->System->Preferences->Main Menu

You can even pull all of the apps out of the folders and put them all into a few mega folders. I have not figured out how to remove all the sub-menus and have just the apps sitting out in a line. I am not too sure I would personally want to do that, but I was testing to see if it was easy to do to let you know about it.
    Yeah just do that. Though I haven't actually done that myself because I think Gnome is perfect as it is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LeoSolaris View Post

I did that for a while, but it was stressing me out. All I really want is gnome-main-window to be customisable, then I'd be able to use it. I'm actually getting extremely frustrated now, as there's supposed to be a better version of the main menu but I can't even compile it - it requires packages which aren't even in Ubuntu's repos.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

What packages does it need? They have to be in the repos.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    What packages does it need? They have to be in the repos.
    It needs "libgnome-menu" (NOT libgnome-menu2) and "eel-2.0".

It doesn't matter though, I've given up on gnome-main-menu.

It is frustrating that there's nothing out there for me. The Mint menu doesn't open if your cursor is right in the corner of the screen (it's just a button), and part of the menu is hidden underneath my panel (32px).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza558 View Post
    It looks horrible in my opinion...
    If you like the looks of Mint Menu, you could probably customize USP to your liking as well. I agree with you on that out of the box USP isn't very good looking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast