Thread: What do you think of the Epiphany Browser?

Beans

What do you think of the Epiphany Browser?

Hey

I have been using Firefox for a long time hae liked it, but am always open to new stuff. I was looking at the Epiphany Browser and was wondering, has anyone using it noticed a performance differce? Is there anyone that likes it better than firefox and why is that?

I am using it right now and it seems to be performing about the same, maybe a bit faster but that might be human error. I don't like the borders however.

The Net Duck
    My personal website is www.thenetduck.com
    A great new design community is: www.FreakinAmazing.com

Beans

Re: What do you think of the Epiphany Browser?

i definitelythinks its better. Epiphany is great for older machines. Since Mozilla uses their own toolkit for firefox some performance issues can be seen on my pc. I like Epiphany but I never saw a difference when I was using a coreduo. Epiphany is perferct for this computer though - remember smartbookmarks.

Beans

Re: What do you think of the Epiphany Browser? - stupid browser

There is a reason why GNOME have lost to KDE and why it will lag behind it for years to come. GNOME's open dialog is one. Epiphany browser is another.

When it starts up, it looks just like any other browser. But when you try to actually use it, it kicks and screams and has everything the opposite way from what a normal user wants. Its navigation buttons are extra large, taking almost an inch in height on my monitor, with no way to resize them. Its preference menu is almost empty. You want no popups for certain pages? - NO, you can only disable popups for all or enable them for all. You want new pages to open in tabs instead of new windows? - NO, I haven't found an option for that yet.

And bookmarks... this is the true epiphany of stupidity. I wanted a simple toolbar with a couple of buttons which will take me to the bookmarked page. First I tried to add the toolbar - I went to View and then checked 'Bookmarks Bar' - ok so far, the toolbar appeared. But there is no way to add bookmarks to it. After I removed the unneeded search dialog, the toolbar is blank and can't be populated. Well, not loosing hope, I went to Edit -> Toolbars - a dialog appeared. But still no way to add bookmarks! Instead there is "Add a New Toolbar" button. As promised, it added an empty toolbar. But still I can't add anything to it! What is the use? And better yet - I can't remove this new toolbar! Now I have two empty toolbars, one of which I cannot remove. Wonderful! What were developers thinking - that is if they were and did not just sprinkle random gui elements around a canvas?

Beans

I like the browser, but it misses the mark on a few things.

First, proxies. I *must* have a proxy in my browser, so I can tunnel my http:// traffic and DNS traffic away from public networks through SSH.

Second, controlling tabs in the interface is extremely clunky. Not very many options at all.

While Firefox may be a bit of a memory hog, and Epiphany runs smoother, Epiphany has a bit to go if it wants to run with the big browsers of the market.

Beans

Epiphany is written almost entirely in C which makes it extremely fast. Once I got used to setting a few extensions, I learned I could live without all the frills of Firefox. I miss the NASA Night Launch Theme, and the Awesome Bar which is, well... awesome, But Epiphany is my default browser and when it goes webkit exclusive will probably remain such.

I've wrote couple blogs about Epiphany that can help customize it better:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by mikepol View Post
    There is a reason why GNOME have lost to KDE and why it will lag behind it for years to come. GNOME's open dialog is one. Epiphany browser is another...
    I always find it hilarious when someone joins a forum, makes one post, and it is an obvious flame-bait/trolling statement.

Beans

Redigged:

Epiphany is written almost entirely in C which makes it extremely fast. Once I got used to setting a few extensions, I learned I could live without all the frills of Firefox. I miss the NASA Night Launch Theme, and the Awesome Bar which is, well... awesome, But Epiphany is my default browser and when it goes webkit exclusive will probably remain such.

I've wrote couple blogs about Epiphany that can help customize it better:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by atoponce View Post
    I like the browser, but it misses the mark on a few things.

First, proxies. I *must* have a proxy in my browser, so I can tunnel my http:// traffic and DNS traffic away from public networks through SSH.

Second, controlling tabs in the interface is extremely clunky. Not very many options at all.

While Firefox may be a bit of a memory hog, and Epiphany runs smoother, Epiphany has a bit to go if it wants to run with the big browsers of the market.
    Epiphany does have proxy; you just need to use the configuration of GNOME under SYSTEM>PREFERENCE>NETWORK PROXY. I am using proxy on Epiphany as I'm posting this since Firefox is slow and freezes on me using proxy.

Beans

Question Re: What do you think of the Epiphany Browser?

What do we need to do to make JavaScript work with Epiphany? I have a RichFaces file upload control that works with IE/FF but not with Epiphany. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've tried Epiphany on Ubuntu 9.10 but I must say the performance is disappointing. For instance if I load http://news.bbc.co.uk/ in FF 3.5 it takes about 12 seconds to render but if I do the same in Epiphany it takes 16 seconds (both are averages over several tries with cleeared cache). Is there some setting that I'm missing? I know that Epiphany scores better re. standards compliance (e.g. Acid3 test) but performance surely counts for something too.
    Last edited by Rmantingh; November 20th, 2009 at 09:58 AM.