Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VirtualBox - How can I Increase Screen Resolution??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Arrow Re: VirtualBox - How can I Increase Screen Resolution??

Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    I don't know if you simply want to play at full screen, or if you want to increase the display resolution, but I do think you need to install Guest Additions properly (either way).

To do that select Guest Addtions from the "Devices" menu in your VM. It nothing happens when you do that, then go to "My Computer" and double-click on the CD icon. This should launch the wizard to install some additional drivers. Follow the wizard, accept the license, ignore the unsigned driver warnings, etc. At the end, reboot the virtual machine. Now you can go in and out of the VM with your mouse without it being trapped inside the VM. You can also resize the window, and the VM will automatically adjust the resolution.
    Ok, so I successfully installed the Guest Addon ,but it's still jumping back to the tiny resolution when I try to play Starcraft.

Any suggestions??

Beans

Re: VirtualBox - How can I Increase Screen Resolution??

i'm having the same problem, but running ubuntu as the guest and osx as the host.

i posted this in another thread:

I'm using Vbox on my macbook pro.
    i started with a fresh install of 7.10, installed updates, installed builder-essentials and installed guest additions.

i followed all the advice i could find on this forum - booted into recovery mod, did the reconfigure, added 1440x900 resolution, and there is no change.

if i mess with xorg.conf directly, either nothing happens or the video won't boot properly.
    when i go to preferences --> screen resolution, the max is still 800x600.
    when i go to administration --> screen and graphics, its listed as "plug n play" with max res 800x600.
    if i change "plug n play" to "LCD Panel 1440x900", the video goes crazy after reboot.

there's got to be something i'm missing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

you'd need the drivers for the card that's in your laptop to get that resolution, but the thing with virtual machines is that they (at least, vmware and virtualbox, not sure about Qemu) use virtual hardware, which is generic, meaning, you get basic fuctionality (probably even using the VESA driver atm) but nothing more. No compiz, no high resolutions, etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lswest View Post
    you'd need the drivers for the card that's in your laptop to get that resolution, but the thing with virtual machines is that they (at least, vmware and virtualbox, not sure about Qemu) use virtual hardware, which is generic, meaning, you get basic fuctionality (probably even using the VESA driver atm) but nothing more. No compiz, no high resolutions, etc.
    i have seen plenty of posts about how people using ubuntu as a guest and are running 1440x900. i've followed all their directions to the letter but i'm getting nowhere!

Beans

can anyone help?

Beans

I successfully added the screen resolution of 1280x800 to my hardy installation on virtualbox with my macbook as host.

Instructions here.

Anyone get shared folders working with Ubuntu guest and mac host using virtualbox?

Beans

Once you've installed the guest tools, you can increase the screen resolution just by dragging the outside of the window. The problem is, regardless of what windows is doing, starcraft runs at 640x480. If you find a tweak to make starcraft run at a higher resolution, that should do the trick. If you want to do it by messing with virtualbox... good luck
    Last edited by Xnyper; June 8th, 2008 at 03:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

After struggling with increasing Screen Resolution for months, I finally found that ignoring xorg.conf was the best way to go, This is the contents of my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "VBoxMouse"
    Driver "vboxmouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    EndSection

I'm running with 1280x1024 instead of the default 1024x768 by using the setting in startupmanager. This adds vga=775 to the kernel line in the /boot/grub/menu.lst

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-18-generic root=UUID=c9d44d29-9154-49cb-a612-c6fb39dc294c ro quiet splash vga=775

Beans

There's a great new simple solution to the screen size problem since the release of VirtualBox version 1.6.2.

It's a new VBoxManage command, explained in the Help Contents/ User Manual at section 9.12 under the heading "Configuring the maximum resolution of guests when using the graphical frontend".

As the default screen resolution option was unsatisfactory for me, I found by trial and error that the perfect resolution for a Guest on my Host's desktop (with a 19 inch LCD) is 1272 x 920. So in my HOST system, I shut down VirtualBox, then opened a terminal and typed:

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/MaxGuestResolution 1272,920

This worked perfectly. Now when I run any guest machine in Virtualbox, the guest immediately opens to my desired screen size (1272x920) and it works consistently time after time. You can set any screen size you want this way. Absolutely no adjustments are required inside the guest machine's settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you Ubeaut!! ... the "setextradata" info was exactly what I needed. That permanently assigned my resolution settings just like I wanted.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast