Thread: User Groups in New Hampshire and Boston

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

User Groups in New Hampshire and Boston

The Ubuntu Local Community Team is focused on Free Software advocacy in NH. Some Ubuntu users are not ready to participate enthusiastically in a grass-roots promotion effort. Instead, you may be seeking a casual user group focused on general Ubuntu usage. There are, in fact, many such Linux user groups in the area. With a little driving, you could even attend a half-dozen meetings every month. Here are the details on where to find these groups.

GNHLUG provides the information and the event scheduling on the four Linux-interest clubs in New Hampshire and on three programming-interest clubs.

The Boston Linux and Unix user group holds large, monthly events at MIT. They have a long history, since they started out as the venerable Boston Computer Society.
    Last edited by matthewcraig; March 31st, 2008 at 05:11 PM.
    Join your a Local Linux User Group or an Ubuntu Local Community Team...
    Purchase your next computer with Ubuntu pre-installed and supported for best hardware compatibility.
    Support companies that support Ubuntu and Linux solutions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: User Groups in New Hampshire and Boston

The New Hampshire Community College offers several 3-credit Linux foundation training courses:

Linux I CIS146: The purpose of this course is to provide students with the fundamental skills needed to work in a Linux environment. A recent version of the popular public domain operating system, Linux, will be used as a vehicle for course delivery. Topics to be covered include the file system, file management, text editors, running and creating shell scripts, X windows, and basic system administration. Installing the Linux operating system and networking issues will also be discussed.

Linux Applications CIS149: In this course, students will explore the various common business applications available to run on Linux. These include Star Office, Open Office, Evolution, Mozilla, Gimp, and many other useful, open-source programs, which are generally available free from sources on the Internet.

Linux II CIS246: Building upon fundamentals previously acquired, students will further develop Linux skills and knowledge in a hands-on environment. Students will install a dual boot operating system, develop shell scripts for application management, configure secure business productivity applications, discuss Linux security issues, and gain a further understanding of Linux administration with respect to using and configuring various network services, including the Apache web server, Send Mail, MySql and others.

Linux Databases CIS249: In this course, students will establish a firm foundation in Linux database installation, design, construction and use. Students will install and use My SQL and Postgres SQL, two popular open source database programs, along with a variety of useful tools to work with these databases. Students will also write basic PHP/Perl code to link these databases to websites.

One could recommend this low-cost, college-accredited class as an alternative to the traditional Microsoft-Windows-Focused computer introduction classes.
    Last edited by matthewcraig; May 14th, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
    Join your a Local Linux User Group or an Ubuntu Local Community Team...
    Purchase your next computer with Ubuntu pre-installed and supported for best hardware compatibility.
    Support companies that support Ubuntu and Linux solutions.

Beans

Re: User Groups in New Hampshire and Boston

Quote Originally Posted by matthewcraig View Post
    The Ubuntu Local Community Team is focused on Free Software advocacy in NH.
    Is this group still active? Where can I find information about them? I am likely to be moving to Concord in the fall.
    I am not a lawyer...yet.
    Music Manumit Podcast - remixable Creative Commons music!
    My neglected blog: http://douglasawh.wordpress.com
    My website: http://opensourceplayground.org