Thread: Free at last

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Free at last

A faulty Suse disk led me to my saviour Ubuntu. Like so many I was trapped behind the bars of MSFT windows, a disaster led to my freedom. As you may guess I am completely new here, and have loads to learn, but what a breath of fresh air

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Free at last

Welcome to freedom. Feels good, doesn't it? As someone said when I posted a similar thread, it must be akin to what smokers feel when they finally are freed from cigarettes.
    You'll find plenty of help in your quest to learn on these forums. It is, in my opinion, the single greatest advantage Ubuntu has over other OS'es and other distros, and you'll find it a great resource.
    Welcome to Ubuntu and freedom, and the forums.
    Registered Ubuntu user #4019 Registered Linux user #434490
    Personal Blog completely unrelated to Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hey Kevin the piper...

Welcome to the ubuntu forums.

Yes I think we have all gotten too used to doing things the M$ way. Its nice to use an alternative operating system. Really does make a fresh change!

I think ubuntu (and linux in general) is doing pretty well for itself. But always more is better in the case of linux computers.

If you want to create graphics you can use g.i.m.p or inkscape. For creating music, you can use renoise (there are lots more).
    Of course there is Writer and all the other office suites.

Im always finding out about new programs and enjoying the usually very simple Add/Remove programs function

Enjoy!
    Derek

Beans
    Distro

Do you guys ever meet up in person in the Dublin area?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

We hope to have a meet-up in the Dublin area when ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) is released. So plans for the 26th of April during the day.
    At the moment we are looking for a suitable location for plugging in computers n laptops
    Maybe you would come along Comhra?

Keep an eye out on the forum

Slán
    Derek

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Comhra View Post
    The Irish Linux Users' Group (ILUG) meet up sporadically, usually in the Long Stone pub in the city centre. As the name suggests, it's not an Ubuntu-specific group.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Comhra View Post
    We definitely will! We'll even have our own place!

I've just come back from the Camara Workshop (my 1st visit), spoke to a few people and met ebel_
    There's loads of space(honestly, the place is huge!) and Camara has offered us to use it. I was told, there will be broadband available in the near future.
    In return we will help out at the workshop, in any way we can. Some ubuntu work needs to be done as well, I'll let you know all the details soon.

Drop by, say hello. You'll be given a tour and meet the people.

We should think of meeting up in person soon enough, a lot of organizing for the Hardy Release Party has to be done, and we don't have much time left.
    My Blog | Irish Ubuntu Community
    Registered Linux User #401535 | Registered Ubuntu User #13516

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by happy_tux View Post
    We hope to have a meet-up in the Dublin area when ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) is released. So plans for the 26th of April during the day.
    At the moment we are looking for a suitable location for plugging in computers n laptops
    Maybe you would come along Comhra?

Keep an eye out on the forum

Slán
    Derek
    Dia do Bheatha,
    That's the 'cúpla focail' out of the way!

I'd love to ; that was me on the IRC channel the other night (Riverrun). I left in the middle of the conversation to install the am/pm patch, which worked nicely.

Yeah, I'd love to come to the launch. I'm really looking forward to HH though I can't complain about Gutsy, it's steady as a rock on my box.

Be warned though, I'm likely to be considerably older than the rest of you!

Beans
    Distro

Andrew, I see that you've got a 'group-meeting' coming up on the 28th. I'm still new to Linux; it's barely 5 months since I dumped you know what. I'm still on a learning curve but I'm being very patient with myself and I'm enjoying it. Might drop in to see you all then.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mean-Machine View Post
    We definitely will! We'll even have our own place!

I've just come back from the Camara Workshop (my 1st visit), spoke to a few people and met ebel_
    There's loads of space(honestly, the place is huge!) and Camara has offered us to use it. I was told, there will be broadband available in the near future.
    In return we will help out at the workshop, in any way we can. Some ubuntu work needs to be done as well, I'll let you know all the details soon.

Drop by, say hello. You'll be given a tour and meet the people.

We should think of meeting up in person soon enough, a lot of organizing for the Hardy Release Party has to be done, and we don't have much time left.
    I'll have to check it out; the guys on IRC said that's it's up in Thomas St. somewhere, I'll call up there soon and say hello.