Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB drive detection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: USB drive detection

yes i did a reboot- why would it show up under Printers and Faxes... it is a removal storage device....

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    <snip the tutorial>
    Hey, I've got a Motorola Q Smartphone connected via USB that I'm trying to get working in VMWare. This seems to work, however, when I select the device in the VM -> Removable Devices menu, it connects and then disconnects rapidly (along with the entry in the VM -> Removable Devices menu disappearing then quickly reappearing), and continually repeats this until I disconnect the device or disable the entry in the menu (during the time when it's there). Any suggestions?

On the plus side though, copy + paste to and from the VM now works (it didn't before)
    Last edited by djbon2112; March 11th, 2008 at 05:43 PM.
    Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K [4.7GHz]; ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z; AMD Radeon HD 6870; 16GB Geil DDR3-1600; OCz Vertex 2 128GB SSD; Lian Li PC-V351B; Corsair H100 cooler; Corsair TX650W; 3x BenQ G2222HDL + 1x Acer x93w; Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by adityakavoor View Post
    Here it is.. Yippie

I got usb to work also.

step 1: Edit Virtual machine settings

step 2: Select Hardware tab

step 3: See below .. click on Add

step 4: select USB controller

step 5: VM/Removal Devices/USB Devices and then I click on the name of the flash drive.

Enjoy
    did you need to turn off your vm to accomplish this? did you have to remove your existing USB controller first before adding the new one, as i tried adding a new USB controller when the vm was turned off but it was grayed out until i removed the existing controller in the hardware list.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Matt26 View Post
    yes i did a reboot- why would it show up under Printers and Faxes... it is a removal storage device....
    Well, I was thinking the device was a printer or scanner, but it is a drive.

Sorry about that.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,16G RAM | Dell Laptop 11.6" N3050.
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win8 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro

Hey sorry to bump, but anyone have any ideas as to my problem? I'm trying to get this solved as soon as I can since this is the only way I can update my phone to fix a DST error!
    Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K [4.7GHz]; ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z; AMD Radeon HD 6870; 16GB Geil DDR3-1600; OCz Vertex 2 128GB SSD; Lian Li PC-V351B; Corsair H100 cooler; Corsair TX650W; 3x BenQ G2222HDL + 1x Acer x93w; Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

Beans
    Distro

You did put this line in your /etc/fstab file:

Code:
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs   auto      0       0
    Seems like this has worked for just about everyone.
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,16G RAM | Dell Laptop 11.6" N3050.

Beans
    Distro

Yep. Though, I'm starting to doubt it's my computer. NOTHING to connect this freaking Q to Linux is working. Not SynCE, not WDDrive or whatever it is, it won't connect in VM, a random Bluetooth adapter I bought could neither detect or be detected by it, nothing. It connects perfectly fine to Windows PCs though.

My VM problem though doesn't seem to be a matter of detection: it connects (and the Windows XP inside the VM plays the device connected sound) but it then immediately disconnects. This seems like Ubuntu is constantly trying to take back control of the device. Is there any way to prevent that?
    Last edited by djbon2112; March 12th, 2008 at 08:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I plug my drive into main box, Ubuntu see it, I unmount it; then, go to VM/Removal Devices, click on USB Devices and check the drive. It comes right up and is seen in Win Explorer as another drive.

When I'm ready to leave it, in VM I unclick it. I suppose it shows in WinXP and I should release it there, so the OS thinks it is safe to remove a writeable device.

Let us know when you have your issues fixed.

Beans
    Distro

That might be my problem: Ubuntu doesn't see it at all; it isn't in Computer, and I can't think if where else it might be. Anyone know why it isn't being detected by Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

If it is a normal USB drive Ubuntu should have no trouble reconginizing it.

You BIOS shows that the USB functions are there?

Have you ever had this drive work in this situation?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast