Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Posting Homework Problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Posting Homework Problems

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Computer programming is all about problem solving and being able to use your mind. If you can't do that...
    I think too many people forget that! Good thing this thread stuck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: FAQ: Posting Homework Problems

Last edited by Lusst; March 26th, 2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: :gnitidE rof nosaeR

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am not to fond of this, dont ask any homework questions. Several times I have asked questions about features of particular programming languages or other problems which I know (in theory exactly what I need to do) but do not know enough about the language to practically implement it. I have used this forum as a place to do research.

Yes people should not ask anyone to do any code for them but asking specific questions to further their knowledge of what they are trying to accomplish should be perfectly ok.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by keeler1 View Post
    Yes people should not ask anyone to do any code for them but asking specific questions to further their knowledge of what they are trying to accomplish should be perfectly ok.
    from the same thread you are posting to:
    you can ask questions that are related to homework. If you get stuck on certain aspects of the assignment (like compiling your code in Linux, or something not specific to the solution to the problem.) you can ask."

This was added since someone posted a threads like:
    "Hello, I HAVE to do this task ___, please, show me how to do it"
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    -Bill Gates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I agree with the above, in the sense that if anyone posts a

Hey, look at me! I have a whole bunch of **** to do and I was wondering if I can copy off of you guys! LOLZ!!1
    they can die in a fire.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with helping someone out with the logic of their homework assignment, provided they took the necessary steps (ie: read the book, did their homework, started writing) to at least attempt to do the work on their own.

I help moderate an MMA board over at Sherdog.com, we get stupid questions all the time...trolls are banished on a daily basis. Someone who walks in and asked "What's the best way to build punching power for MMA?" is immediately set alight and ridiculed until they either conform, are forgotten, or just never show up again. It's not pretty, but it works.

What I love to see are the people who come in and ask "Hey, I read the FAQ, but I would still like help putting together a solid strength program. Here's what I have managed to do so far, any input?

While Strength & Power may not directly relate to writing a solid program, I do believe that this forum is a very, very powerful tool to help out newbies, novices, and professionals alike.

There's a fine line here guys, concerning people who are lazy and want stuff done for them, and the legit people who just need a little help now and then.

- Seacrest, out

Beans

I think the current policy addresses this well enough as is. We do help people help themselves with homework, but we don't do their homework.
    LambdaGrok. | #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I dunno about you lot but I'd do someone's homework for a tenner and a packet of peanut M&M's.

Disclaimer: Yes I usually talk crap

Beans

he'll be your boss someday, pedro_orange .. you should look forward to it -- it's great

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by lnostdal View Post
    he'll be your boss someday, pedro_orange .. you should look forward to it -- it's great
    Probably better than my current boss. An IT Project manager, managing 6 software engineers & we had to send him on a Sharepoint course so he could understand how to use our wiki.

In my previous job, my boss was IT illiterate. It's very common. All they have to ask you is "How long will it take you?" and phone people up.

Anyone fancy a new job?
    Disclaimer: Yes I usually talk crap

Beans

Here's one of my homework:

Which is the easiest and which is the hardest for you among these sciences in High School?

Please answer if you have taken up Biology,Chemistry, and Physics in high school.
    Which is the easiest and which is the hardest for you and why?

I can't tell yet as of now which is the easiest for me since I have just started Physics, but so far, Chemistry was the hardest for me because of all those things I had to memorize.
    yo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast