Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to: Toshiba Satellite Satellite A215-S5818

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

how to: Toshiba Satellite Satellite A215-S5818

This is for 7.10.

If I don't reply in 24ish hours PM me to let me know. I forget to check my subscribed threads some times.

This is a how to to get the sound, wireless working and video card drivers. The wireless was a huge problem for me and it took me a month to get it to work right. Most of this is just reposts, but this way, there's one thread plus the wireless was especially hard so. I did this on a 64 bit install of Ubuntu.

First off is the sound.
    I used this thread if you want to see the original thread.

You'll need these to compile the Alsa files.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential ncurses-dev gettext
    sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev
    sudo apt-get install build-essential gettext ja-trans
    Note: I didn't always install the last one but it never hurts to play it safe I suppose.

Next is to install the headers.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get  install linux-headers-`uname -r`
    You can download the latest Alsa drivers and all here. I just downloaded the driver, lib, utils and firm files. Assuming you are in the directory with the files(firefox's default is the desktop).

To move the files
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /usr/src/alsa
    sudo cp alsa-driver* /usr/src/alsa
    sudo cp alsa-lib* /usr/src/alsa
    sudo cp alsa-firm* /usr/src/alsa
    sudo cp alsa-util* /usr/src/alsa
    To go to the files in /usr/src/alsa
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/alsa
    To untar them
    Code:
    sudo tar xjf alsa-driver*
    sudo tar xjf alsa-lib*
    sudo tar xjf alsa-firmware*
    sudo tar xjf alsa-utils*
    Now to compile them.
    Code:
    cd alsa-driver*
    sudo ./configure 
    sudo make 
    sudo make install
    cd ../alsa-lib*
    sudo ./configure
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    cd ../alsa-firm*
    sudo ./configure
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    cd ../alsa-util*
    sudo ./configure
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    Assuming all of the same model laptops are the same.
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    and add to the bottom of the file
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba
    If not, or you really wanna play it safe, this thread can tell you how.

Reboot and you should have sound.

------------------------------------------

For for the fun part, wireless.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!! There's a new HAL that supports the card. I downloaded the madwifi with the new HAL and installed it and it worked. I grabbed madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3861-20080903 and it worked. Of course I'm sure there's a newer one out now. You just have to installed it which you can find out how to do that online. The madwifi site and the read me inside the download.

If you have a 32 bit install, scroll down to the bottom of the wireless section and read what DUfire posted first and then decide what you want to do.

First you want to go to the restricted drivers and disable the HAL, it will want to reboot but hold it's horses for now. You can go ahead and enable the video driver too now if you want too. This thread is the one I used the most, but I also used others.

Code:
     gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    and add this
    Code:
    blacklist ath_pci
    blacklist ath_hal
    reboot

You need ndiswrapper version 1.44 or 1.45rc1, I used 1.45rc1 and it works great so, but I heard either one can be used from here.
    You can download them here, you just have to click on the "view older releases.." link.
    EDIT: I have installed 1.53 and it works fine and without a problem. I'm not sure if it was the software before or me, but now the latest ndiswrapper seems to work.

To download the driver you need, go here. Note: you want the 5007EG, if you have a 64-bit version of Ubuntu etc you want the 64-bit XP driver, if you have a 32-bit version of Ubuntu, you want the 32-bit version of the XP driver.

Once you have ndiswrapper and assuming you're in the directory.

Code:
    tar -zxvf ndiswrapper-* 
    sudo remove
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    You want to make sure to do the remove step until you don't remove anything.

Once you do this, you want to unzip the zip file the driver is in, I did this is the GUI. You want to make sure the .sys file and the .inf file are in there.
    Assuming you're in the file you extracted
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i ____.inf
    ndiswrapper -l
    It should say the driver is installed, something like this:
    Code:
    net5211 : driver installed
            device (168C:001C) present (alternate driver: ath_pci)
    NOTE: if you use a 32 bit driver(because you use a 32 bit version of Ubuntu) the driver name won't be the same but the driver installed part should be there.
    If not, you may have gotten the wrong driver or something else might have gone wrong.

Once you have finished this, ndiswrapper wrap should be installed but there still needs to be some tweaking done.

Here, on the bottom of the laptop there is a sticker with the wireless LAN (reminiscent of Metal Gear Solid eh?). You'll need that MAC address.

Note: your wireless device might be called something else rather than wlan0, you'll need that need, mine was wlan0 so I'm using it as an example. You can check this by iwconfig, it should be something like wlan(n) where (n) is a number.

Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    Here you will need to add something like:
    Code:
     ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:1b:9e:85:6a:38
    Where my MAC address (aka the wireless LAN on the back of the laptop) is 00:1b:9e:85:6a:38 and my wlan0 section of the file looks like:

Code:
     auto wlan0
    ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:1b:9e:85:6a:38
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    I also did this
    Code:
     gksu gedit /etc/modules
    and added
    Code:
    ndiswrapper
    to the bottom of it.

Now reboot.

Network manager does not show any wireless networks. I have not tried WICD but I've heard people have had success with it where network manager fails.

To set up a connect without Network Manager, I followed kevdogs thread here.

installing wpa_supplicant and all it rather easy.

This is what DUfire did and it worked for him on a install of a 32 bit version of Ubuntu. I did mine on a 64 bit, so if you have a 32 bit install you might want to try his.

Quote Originally Posted by DUfire View Post
    Great guide on getting that dreaded ALSA to work for me! This is my second day using 32-bit Gutsy and there seems to be many conflicting tutorials on getting my Intel HDA card to work properly.

As for the wireless, starting from a clean install yesterday, I only took about one-third of those steps to get mine fully-functional.
    Basically, just make sure you have ndiswrapper-common and other installed [not on my laptop now], extract the .inf and .sys files into your /home directory, and...

Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i ___.inf
    ...should prove to install the drivers correctly. A quick sudo ndiswrapper -l will show if the driver installed correctly or not.

After it shows to be installed correctly, you need to add it to the kernel module [I guess this is what that does]. To do that, in your terminal type...

Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -ma && sudo ndiswrapper -mi

Also, you need to configure it at every boot so you don't have to reconfigure this everytime you reboot [which is probably a lot if you're still in the stage of configuring drivers/hardware]. To do that, type this in your terminal...

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    ...and add ndiswrapper to the end of the list.
    Save it, re-install, and it should be working for you.
    Then again, this was a clean install and I'm not too familiar with the complete workings of Ubuntu quite yet so I'm not sure how this would respond on other's machines.
    EDIT: I installed WICD from the instructions here:
    http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php and it works. It's a nice GUI if you ask me but I still just do it all in the command line so.

-----------------------

The easy part for last.

To get the video card driver just go to the restricted drivers part and enable it.
    EDIT: IMO Envy is a breeze to get the drivers working and works great. http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html Personally I think this is the best way but it's just me. You simply download the deb and install it so.
    Reboot.

IIRC all I had to do was install it from the restricted drivers and install it, but mine was on a 64-bit and was a couple of months ago so. If you're having problems with the video driver this is what DUfire said.

Quote Originally Posted by DUfire View Post
    EDIT: Also, from my experience with this computer, the ATI proprietary driver won't just work by enabling it from the restricted drivers menu. You might get and zorg error. You actually might have to get your wireless working then install some updates. Quite a simple fix, actually.

In your terminal, type...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-generic restricted-manager
    Once that is finished, you need to tell your system that the main video driver is the fglrx driver [rather than the default, or vesa]. To do that, go to...
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    ...and go to the "Device" section and change "vesa" to "fglrx".
    Save, close, reboot, and it should work for you, assuming just enabling it from the restricted drivers manager didn't work and you are indeed using an ATI Radeon X1200 video card.
    --------------------------------

I might have made a mistake in there some where due to having done most of this stuff a month ago, but if you have any problems, just let me know and I'll update this. Plus most of this was done at 3 am at night after a day of class so I'm not saying it's perfect. This is just what got it to work for me. Also, most of ,the links I put there are to the threads that helped me, if my write up is not clear enough let me know and also until I post or reply to a PM look in those threads I linked, there's a whole host of information on the Ubuntu forums and the wiki. Some times it's easy to find and some times not though. Again, if you have questions, you can PM me.
    Last edited by fissionmailed; January 12th, 2009 at 07:12 PM.
    If I don't reply to something, just PM me and let me know, college can be trying at times.
    Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stars

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: how to: Toshiba Satellite Satellite A215-S5818

I just want to say thanks, reading your guide helped me fix my system completely. The only thing wrong with my toshiba laptop was the sound, I already compiled my own alsa drivers and all that stuff, but adding the model=toshiba is what did the trick.

I must of overlooked it, but when I say it here and gave it a try, it fixed everything! Now I have FULL sound, before I was getting this low crappy sound, and now its actually loud as hell I even woke my room mate up!

The only thing I have to do now , is check the microphone, which I'll do tomorrow.

But thanks for this guide, I've been waiting on something like this to happen. Mad kudos man, seriously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I loves this. , thx.
    I've only tried Gutsy live on this laptop but im gonna fix that Saturday.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

To: LuisGMarine
    No worries man, mostly this is just stuff I've found on the board.

To: Glaxed
    While this is what done it to work for mine, some times things vary or just my instructions reek.

Once I get back to my dorm, I'm going to experment with the video drivers to try to find how to get those to work with another monitor. Once I figure that out, I'll edit that information in.
    If anything one has info at needs to be put in here for this, just let me know.
    If I don't reply to something, just PM me and let me know, college can be trying at times.

Beans
    Distro

I was wondering if we can try to figure out the web cam situation?

I Don't know about your laptop, but mine has a built in 1.3 mega pixel camera installed on the screen. I tried EasyCam, but I keep on getting errors that it's not supported. But I"m not even sure how to check what model the card is etc, I'm not sure of what commands to be running.

BTW has anyone tried playin an HD movie? Mine has an HD drive, but I was wondering if any application in linux can play the HD format. That's another thing to try.

Now that I'm starting college I need to find out if this computer is good with baterry life, hopefully it can last from 5:30 PM to about 10:00 PM, that's when my classes go. I don't knwo if I need to set up extra things to be able to get that much power out of the battery.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by LuisGMarine View Post
    I was wondering if we can try to figure out the web cam situation?

I Don't know about your laptop, but mine has a built in 1.3 mega pixel camera installed on the screen. I tried EasyCam, but I keep on getting errors that it's not supported. But I"m not even sure how to check what model the card is etc, I'm not sure of what commands to be running.

BTW has anyone tried playin an HD movie? Mine has an HD drive, but I was wondering if any application in linux can play the HD format. That's another thing to try.

Now that I'm starting college I need to find out if this computer is good with baterry life, hopefully it can last from 5:30 PM to about 10:00 PM, that's when my classes go. I don't knwo if I need to set up extra things to be able to get that much power out of the battery.
    lsusb might offer some info but I'm not sure, mine doesn't have one.

But what I can offer you is this
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu..._battery_power

THat might help with the battery, I need to configure mine that way.

And this
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...BluRayAndHDDVD
    for the HD dvd.

Sorry I couldn't help more but I'm not too knowable on this things. All I can do is just point you in the right direction.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the directions.

I'm curious if you got your microphone to work? I tried my microphone today and it was a no go. Maybe I should use the stable version of alsa, and not the darn rc ones, but I don't see why it should make that big of a difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by LuisGMarine View Post
    Thanks for the directions.

I'm curious if you got your microphone to work? I tried my microphone today and it was a no go. Maybe I should use the stable version of alsa, and not the darn rc ones, but I don't see why it should make that big of a difference.
    Yup, I just tested it. It works with the computer speakers and with audacity.

Beans
    Distro

going to compile the stable release of alsa. Then test the microphone, as for the HD movie thanks they worked like a charm.

I'm curious did I already ask you about the webcam?

Thanks again I'll post with my results later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Followed your directions... with minor corrections when warranted (like when your directions showed to compile firmware twice...)

And after two very careful tries.. including a reformat with clean install & update of 7.10, a no-go.

GUI puts two error msgs... one says :

No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found.

Other one says:

The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control. This means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed, or that you don't have a sound card configured. You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the speaker icon on the panel and selecting "Remove From Panel" from the menu.

Hmmmmmm... any ideas?

I have a Toshiba Satellite A215-S5818.. so we're at the very same specs..

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast