Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WINE and com ports.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

WINE and com ports.

I have recently found myself using my laptop at work more so than ever before. I work on digital controls for building systems. Air conditioning and services of that nature.

The basic program we use is called Datamate, i installed it under WINE and it worked very well up until the crucial point of connecting it to a building system via a communication port. And it resulted in NO connection or Connection failure.

I am not blaming WINE, but i am curious hoe the Linux environment would employ the COM ports versus the Windows environment. and if WINe has another way of doing that as well.

it is a very basic program, much like say a telenet type program, with a little of GUI added into it. Not fancy at all. I think my issue is that of COM port usage.

I am using a USB to serial adapter to get to the required RJ-11 communication connection, because my computer dosn't have the RS-235 available. I am hoping this is some setting i am missing here. any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I am sure i left something out, please let me know what i may be i will do my best to provide the info.
    "A bill of rights is what the people are entitled to against every government on earth, general or particular, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."- Thomas Jefferson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: WINE and com ports.

First you'll want to figure out what device your serial converter is. It should be something like /dev/ttyUSB0. If you plug in the converter, and then run dmesg in terminal, it should pick it up and list its location. If not, we'll have to find some drivers for it.

Next, wine handles com ports by having a link to the device (ie /dev/ttyUSB0), in the ~/.wine/dosdevices folder. This link would be created as follows:
    Code:
    ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1
    With that it might work, although there could be some issues with permissions, but if it doesn't work the first time hope is not lost.
    100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

So if i read that right, WINE is not intuitive when it comes to using COM ports, like the horrid windows operating system is?

I have to tell it to use it?

I will be trying my hand at that link setup first thing tomorrow, thank you.
    "A bill of rights is what the people are entitled to against every government on earth, general or particular, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."- Thomas Jefferson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Pretty much. I don't think many people have a use for com ports in wine so they don't set it up automagically.
    100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey thanks for the help, i was able to sucessfully set up a com port for wine to use. however it is still not talking on COM1, if you could provide some more help like earlier i would be greatful. thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Has anyone else had any luck with this?

I'm trying to use a USB-serial adapter for programming radios. I've set up the port in Wine as outlined above. It appears that I've successfully set up the com port, but the programming application doesn't recognize the com port.

If I need to provide any additional information let me know.

Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Superpup View Post
    Has anyone else had any luck with this?

I'm trying to use a USB-serial adapter for programming radios. I've set up the port in Wine as outlined above. It appears that I've successfully set up the com port, but the programming application doesn't recognize the com port.

If I need to provide any additional information let me know.

Thanks,
    I can't claim to have any luck, but the software i am using has a COM log, the file reads like many others i have seen where the BAUD rate was completely screwed up, where a single line should read "high, hello, message, hardware?" it reads those letters vertically as in a broken line, all as individual messages one letter at a time, let me see if i can cut and paste it. This message is not from WINE, but the software i am trying to use, this is why i cannot baud rate or something like that is so freaked out i just get kicked.

(6259) recv: "T" - 0 ms.

(6259) recv: "i" - 0 ms.

(6259) recv: "m" - 0 ms.

(6259) recv: "e" - 0 ms.

(6259) recv: "," - 0 ms.

(6259) recv: " " - 0 ms.

(6259) recv: "M" - 0 ms.

(6259) recv: "e" - 0 ms.

(6259) recv: "s" - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: "s" - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: "a" - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: "g" - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: "e" - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: "," - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: " " - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: "C" - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: "a" - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: "n" - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: "c" - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: "l" - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: "," - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: " " - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: "H" - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: "o" - 0 ms.

(6269) recv: "?" - 0 ms.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

So far I have been able to get the com port recognized in 8.04. I couldnt at all in 7.10.

The program I trying to use is called VX Commander. It is a programming utility for a ham radio. When it is reading the radio data, it always stops at 25% now.

Are there any logs that I might be able to find information as to why it is stopping? Or anyone have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well I am lucky, i have a log in the software i am using.

Are you running it with a true serial, or a usb converter? I have recently read that not all of them are Linux friendly.

Yes you can check the system log; Adminisstration- System Log not sure how much you will find there pertinent to your program, or go to terminal and type "dmesg" it will give you a brief synopsis of the recent activity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Oh and there are 34 packages in Synaptic for HAM radio stuff, did you check them out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast