Thread: Laptops to purchase?

Beans

Laptops to purchase?

I want to purchase a new laptop with Ubunto pre installed. I know Dell has some and also aware of Systems 76. Looking for feedback on which of these might be better or others systems that would be good.

Thanks for any advice.

t

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Laptops to purchase?

I got my wife a Darter 1 a while back. The nice thing about System76 is they are a smaller company and have really great tech support. Usually you can get a pretty quick response on the forums for those things that don't require an instant fix. They keep a pretty good eye on their section of the forums here.

I don't know how the prices compare hardware wise with a similarly spec'd DELL. On the one hand, I'm all for supporting a smaller business dedicated entirely to shipping with Ubuntu, as opposed to a larger company that hides its Ubuntu options away behind in some back room. On the other hand, it is good to support a huge distributor's Ubuntu offering to show that it is a viable option and deserves better status/promotion.

Moral conflicts aside though, I'd probably go back to System76.
    In life without walls, who needs windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm looking into the same question, for a laptop for my sister. Right now it's a pretty even split between an Ubuntu-preinstalled machine from System76 or Dell or a SuSE-preinstalled machine from Lenovo (I figure that should be supported just fine by Ubuntu too).

Interested to see other people's experiences with any / all of those...

Beans

I have an asus eee pc that I ended up putting kubuntu on. I think it's a very nice little system, but I think it's somewhat 'limited' in purpose. Great for writing away from the house, possibly browsing the web at a hot spot, but not enough battery life for really extended work.

I've also converted a couple of Acer 3820 laptops that have become my primary laptops. Those do come with Vista Home, perhaps the best reason to put Ubuntu onto a computer that Acer could come up with. I did have to replace the wifi card on one of the laptops, and bluetooth isn't working, though I don't have a lot of use for that myself.

I've heard good things about the Dells, nothing about most of the others. The distro that comes with the eeepc is xandros (I think) and uses the kde interface in some interesting ways.

Hope that's helpful

Beans

I've owned a Dell Laptop, and it was great. I haven't looked into much others, though. I know not to by any PC from HP, they suck, and come with stuff you don't want. Maybe you should look into what's cheaper. Ubuntu is free, and if it costs more for a PC with it Pre-installed, than that sounds like a rip-off. I had no trouble install Ubuntu
    on my PC. What's the reason you want it Pre-Installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I don't have any experience with a Linux preinstalled laptop, but one not mentioned yet is Linux Certified. They do custom and IBM builds.
    http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html

Beans

I have Dell Laptop. It's really pretty. those who cant go for XPS i am sure they can take a serious look into this Model Especially the N series which has a flexibility who don't use Vista , Xp and working on Linux Unix solaris they don't have to worry for Pre Installed Win Os which also been charged. overall it has a good features. I wish my views have helped you..
    ====================================

gordongreg

Minnesota Alcohol Addiction Treatment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Gateway have some pretty respectable specs, and I think a lot of it works with Ubuntu.