Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you own a camcorder?

Beans

Re: Do you own a camcorder?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmyra View Post
    Before getting any in-depth reviews, I bought JVC GZ-MG130U. I am going to give it a spin and I will report back for duty! Any immediate questions...fire them away!
    I was just about to tell you not to buy a JVC. Me and a friend purchased our jvc camcorders on the same day. His broke like 5 days after the warranty expired and JVC would not assist him in any way, to fix it would not have been financially viable anyway they told him. He purchased a new camcorder but a different brand.

Last year my camcorder started displaying "Removed Lens Cap" errors although the lens cap was off. A bit of googling led me to find out this is a common problem on jvc and they actually have a procedure to deal with owners of these defective cams.

So I contact the local jvc distributor for repairs, tell them what the problem is and they give me a verbal estimate over the phone. Then I tell them that it is a factory defect and jvc has issues statements to this effect, oh no they are aware of it. So why bill me? Uh, sorry we will only bill you for labour wich to me is not on (if there was no factory defect there would be no labour, common sense). So I argue with a few egits and eventually spoke to a guy that was apologetic and told me to send it in. I only got my campcorder back like 9months later and then the bastars wanted to bill me for it as well and I had to go through the whole process again of arguing with people.

I own a jvc , tv, vcr x2, had a home theatre system of theres at one stage so I 'was' a fan. I will NEVER ever again in my life buy a jvc product simply because of my last experience.

Beans

I have an ELURA 100 (Canon). I have been trying to get gutsy to recognize it. When I plug it in, nothing, I have trying USB and firewire, nothing. Any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks for the "heads up" on JVC.
    The last great frontier is In Your Mind!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I would be interested in reading your review... Hope you are still going to write it.

Do you know of any sites with other camcorder reviews?
    It sounds as if hard-disk type camcorders should work automatically with Ubuntu. I wonder if there are any exceptions?
    The last great frontier is In Your Mind!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I own three camcorders. One is a Canon something-or-other. I really don't like it. While it's nice and small, I find the digital video to be quite grainy and it doesn't seem to have a manual focus setting. The only thing that is good about it is it picks up color very well indoors. It works horribly with Ubuntu.

The second one I own is a full size RCA VHS camcorder which I absolutely love. It's got manual and auto focus, iris, and zoom. I picked it up a couple months ago at a thrift store for $20 and fixed it up. I really needed the manual settings, and this one does the trick. The video quality is excellent. It's much like the one in this ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-VHS-CAMCORDE...QQcmdZViewItem

I'll try and remember to put up a pic of it.

The third one I own predates the VHS camcorder. In fact, it predates Betamax camcorders. You need a seperate video recorder for this one:

http://labguysworld.com/RCA_CC-002.htm

I have a VCR that this thing connects directly to which is currently in need of repair. The camera itself is also in need of slight repair, as the film behind the lens is discoloring. It weighs a good 15-20 lbs and sits on your shoulder. I recorded quite a few videos with this thing, and they turned out pretty good. However, I'm now looking to get rid of it.

All my camcorders work horribly with Ubuntu. It would be much better if I could get some kind of software to record from the composite input on my TV card.
    Last edited by Bungo Pony; March 26th, 2008 at 03:54 PM.
    What do tone deaf singers, floppy drive music, and an old woman dreaming about mashed rodents have in common? They're all on my blog! CHECK IT OUT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm looking for a camcorder that has a video input, in a price range of around $200 - $300. Any ideas?
    Robert K. Tompsett Registered Linux User 499013
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    ICBM Address 42.23N,-85.89W (EN72bf)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rktompsett View Post
    I'm looking for a camcorder that has a video input, in a price range of around $200 - $300. Any ideas?
    This has nothing to do with the subject of the thread, and the thread itself is over 5 years old. Please start a new thread, as this one is closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12