Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the HP tx2000z to work

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Getting the HP tx2000z to work

So i got a tx2000z not too long ago, ordered it the day it came out. At first I wanted to throw it out the window but now I have gotten it to work just fine with Linux after about a month of working on it.

Here is what I had problems with:
    -Audio (Headphone jack didn't work)
    -Wireless
    -Lightscribe
    -Wacom
    -Fingerprint Reader

And now all works (except wacom).

I couldn't for the life of me get Gutsy Gibbon to work so I took a chance and tried the Alpha 5 version of Hardy Heron. Though it is an alpha, for the most part it is pretty steady. You have to do some upgrades at first but it works. You can get the iso at
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/h...sktop-i386.iso

Now you are installed. let's get working on the sound.

This is a really simple fix. Go to your terminal and type:
    Code:
     sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    and at the end add "options snd-hda-intel model=hp" to the bottom of the file and save it. Now type:
    Code:
     sudo /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
    Now your sound should work.

WIRELESS
    Ndiswrapper is your best bet here. In synaptic and install ndiswrapper-common, ndiswrapper-utils-1.9, and cabextract. Those will help. Now I have tried a lot of drivers and this one gave me the best luck:
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/24001.html

In the terminal navigate to the file you downloaded the file to and type:
    Code:
     sudo cabextract sp34152.exe
    sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    and you will want to do a "sudo gedit /etc/modules" and add ndiswrapper to the end of it. That will make ndiswrapper open on boot.
    That's Wireless.

Fingerprint Reader:
    just use this site. Everything I tell you will be verbatim to it.
    http://www.reactivated.net/fprint/wiki/Main_Page
    download the files, there are some dependencies you may have to get from synaptic.

Lightscribe:
    Go to these sites to install lightscribe utility and drivers.
    http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadS...nux/index.aspx
    --You just need the system software and simple labeler --
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10803
    -- third party labeler for lightscribe --

Webcam:
    http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/
    That sight has all you need.

WACOM
    Bad news guys, at this time linuxwacom doesn't support our type of Tablet PCs. Let me explain. Older tablet PCs with Wacom active digitizers used to be ported to the serial port. Newer ones are ported to the usb (use "lsusb" code to see for yourself) and linuxwacom doesn't yet support tablet PCs with their wacom mapped to their USB port.
    "Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"
    tells the driver to dialog with the tablet the Tablet PC
    way. Right now we only support serial Tablet PC. It is a
    special Wacom IV protocol, called ISDV4 protocol. This
    option is mandatory for Tablet PC."

However the news isn't all bad. I read the development pages and they are working on it.

Synaptics:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Once you do that upgrade after installing Alpha 5, it should start working (or at least it did for me). The newer kernel (2.6.24-10-generic) works really well.
    You can also install gsynaptics and configure it with a nice gui.

NVIDIA
    install nvidia-glx-new from synaptic, it'll work fine.

Screen Rotation:
    These tutorials helped me.
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2
    http://intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html

and also make sure xrandr is installed (Synaptic)

OKAY
    So ya, that is what i did. Sorry if it's not too detailed but that is what I did in a nutshell. Everything seems to work. Feel free to ask me if you have questions or comments. If anyone has any advice regarding this, I am willing to listen. Thanks all.

Beans

Re: Getting the HP tx2000z to work

Could you be more specific on the webcam? I downloaded the uvc and compiled it but I still dont get the webcam to work in skype?

Pat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thank you so much for this post! This computer isn't exactly being my new best friend.

However, you DID get my sound going. Which means, luckily enough, I have music while I tinker. ^^ So thank you LOTS for that.

Did you do anything else with wireless, though? That's the last thing I need before I can call this thing "acceptable," and I cannot get it to work for anything. My little wireless switch is very happily displaying its LED a neon red color, and in the (much-more-shrunken-and-formatted/reinstalled) Vista boot it's a happy blue.

Also, you said that your wacom actually worked? Where/how did you install the necessary utilities, and where would I pass the forced serial options ("Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4")?
    Last edited by ACLBandit; March 17th, 2008 at 09:48 PM.
    Say goodbye to the Blue Screen of Death-- Switch to Linux.

Beans

No, he did not get the Wacom to work. It is just formulated a little unclear.

As for your wireless problem. Which release of Ubuntu are you using? Gutsy? Did you already try using ndiswrapper? The following guide might be what you are looking for: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...eisty_No-Fluff

As for me I am using Gutsy and I actually had to compile the newest ndiswrapper to make it work. Let me know if the above guide helps you out. If not try to compile the newest ndiswrapper and give an update please.

Pat

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I had to compile the newest ndiswrapper as well (1.52 if I am not mistaken). I am not using Gutsy however, I am using Hardy Heron Alpha. IT is working pretty well. I just had horrible luck with Gutsy but Hardy seems to work seemlessly (minus the wacom issue).

Beans

It worked pretty nice for me on Gutsy. I had to recompole ndiswrapper and alsa but that was basically it.

TorchlightJay, could you be more specific on the webcam? I downloaded the uvc and compiled it but I still dont get the webcam to work in skype?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

well what I did in addition (forgot to mention it) was install webcam, webcamd and that seemed to help me a lot. I haven't tried it too often but I did have a point where it took pictures of me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by TorchlightJay View Post
    I had to compile the newest ndiswrapper as well (1.52 if I am not mistaken)
    Wonderful-- I just used the one from the repositories, so I'll try a compile of the newest version of ndiswrapper.

Also, sorry about the misread on your wacom. But they are working on that currently, as I think you said, so we won't have to wait long ^_^

EDIT: I compiled the newest version and installed the driver you recommended, but it didn't seem to do anything. Running "ndiswrapper -l" returns "bcmwl5: driver installed." However, if I install the bcmwl6, it says "driver installed, hardware present." Either way, it doesn't matter, sadly enough, because it doesn't turn the wireless on. No options for it under any networking tools, and my happy little switch is still an angry orange-red.

By the way, I am on the recommended Hardy Heron alpha, although it is alpha 6. Will that affect anything?

Any tips?
    Last edited by ACLBandit; March 17th, 2008 at 08:19 PM.
    Say goodbye to the Blue Screen of Death-- Switch to Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ya, I am using alpha 6 now too.

Are you on kernel 2.6.24-11? That one has a bug on it that keeps broadcom from working, even if you are using ndiswrapper.

The most recent version is 2.6.24-12, do an upgrade and see what happens (of course assuming that you haven't already).

The file I listed is the one that worked for me. I searched all over the web for a variety of drivers and that one gave me the best luck. Almost all of them said that the driver was installed and hardware was present but only that one got me a bluelight.

make sure to add ndiswrapper to your /etc/modules file.

also do a "depmod -a" and a "modprobe ndiswrapper"

You may have to do "rmmod ndiswrapper" and then do the steps listed above to remove old ndiswrapper modules and load the newer ones.

Beans

Did you remove the old ndiswrapper before compiling the new one? Did you also remove all wireless drivers in ndiswrapper before doing that?

Just to be sure, did you run 'sudo modprobe ndiswrapper' after installing the driver?

Quote Originally Posted by TorchlightJay View Post
    well what I did in addition (forgot to mention it) was install webcam, webcamd and that seemed to help me a lot. I haven't tried it too often but I did have a point where it took pictures of me
    Thanks man, that really did it.

Pat
    Last edited by pAt84; March 17th, 2008 at 09:27 PM.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast