Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu? No more.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Ubuntu? No more.

If only they could stay current with security fixes...

I noticed that they finally updated mplayer yesterday. The old version had multiple critical security issues. (and it only took them 21 days to update it )

I decided to go back to gentoo until arch can acquire enough developers to keep up with security updates. From reading the dev mailing list it looks to me like the current devs are a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Beans

i'm just about to completely switch my distro from ubuntu to arch after testing it out for a week or so.

in my opinion it blows ubuntu out of the water if you have moderate linux skills.

there might not be a nice package GUI but pacman in my eyes is far superior to apt, between that and the AUR everything just works beautifully .....and MUCH faster than Ubuntu.

haven't had compiz crash out on me once which i can't say for either feisty/gutsy.

i also prefer the more simplistic approach to startup scripts/init etc

i still think ubuntu is a great distro expecially for ppl new to linux but arch is definitely superior if you can handle it.

Beans

Don't understand why people think Pacman is better as aptitude or apt-get, it simply does it's job and it's a little less typing.
    As far as I know it's not even offering wild cards.. or it must be a recently added feature.
    Also it doesn't have moo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kellemes View Post
    Don't understand why people think Pacman is better as aptitude or apt-get, it simply does it's job and it's a little less typing.
    As far as I know it's not even offering wild cards.. or it must be a recently added feature.
    The reason I prefer pacman has more to do with makepkg/PKGBUILD than with pacman directly. I agree with you that as far as installing packages is concerned pacman and apt-get are pretty much on par. It is incomparably easier, however, to make/customize packages using pacman tools -- and that's of crucial importance to me.

Debian, it seems to me, is designed to create a separate caste of package creators and maintainers -- this is a means to an end, I suppose, the end being rock-solid stability of the final product. The side effect of such an arrangement is that the process by which packages are created is shrouded in mystery and, for practical purposes, inaccessible to regular users who are expected to be satisfied with the ability to install a wide range of available binary packages or, if worst comes to worst, to compile sources manually.

In this sense any debate regarding whether apt-get or pacman are "better" is kind of pointless, IMO -- what is meaningful is not so much their relative capacities as far managing packages is concerned but the difference between the design philosophies they represent. I happen to prefer the philosophy behind Arch and pacman which I see as a programmatic attempt at empowering the regular user.
    Last edited by fwojciec; February 28th, 2008 at 07:22 PM.

Beans

... and it's a little less typing.

How is it less typing?

apt-get install x
    vs
    pacman -S x

apt-get update
    vs
    pacman -Sy

apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade
    vs
    pacman -Syu

When it comes to dependancies pacman performs better than aptitude.

Beans

i agree with fwojciec, it's not strictly pacman but the package system as a whole ...it's more flexible than apt.

for me pacman handles dependancies better too.
    Last edited by marscay; February 28th, 2008 at 08:29 PM.

Beans

yeah i tried out arch for a bit but i cant download large files at any time since i have a download limit during the day so since arch requires you to download a lot besides the iso (i donwload the iso at night) i had to give it up...
    hp dv6395 ea 2gb ram core 2 duo 2.00 Ghz archlinux User | Arch rocks! | Submit Bug Reports! https://launchpad.net/ubuntu | Include detail in your thread titles!

Beans

Uh-oh....I think I might have caught the Arch bug. Decided to try it out on my laptop today, and I think that the experience can be summed up in 3 words. Sweet! Merciful! Crap! Bootup and shutdown is wicked fast, compiz runs amazingly, etc. When I get a little bit of free time, and after I work out a few minor things like suspend/hibernations, I might just switch over completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

me too! 2 days on archlinux now!kdemod is superb !
    @yabbadabbadont:
    what?security issues on arch is fixed slow?
    I have core,extra,community,unstable and kdemod repositories enabled.
    Is there any reason for a desktop user to be worried

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Pardon the ignorance...what is Arch built on?
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast