Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu? No more.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu? No more.

Quote Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
    what?security issues on arch is fixed slow?
    That was the case with mplayer. It took them three weeks to fix the problem after the bug report was filed.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=332405

With regard to security, you might want to browse the Arch forums, for example:

Arch approach to security
    http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=332180

I've been using Debian (mainly sid) exclusively for about two weeks now ("business card" iso, only the base system + Openbox and a few other goodies). It seems just as light or lighter than Arch to me.

Configuring it is different from Arch (no rc.conf!), but I have a reasonable knowledge of its guts so it's not a problem for me. Mind you, after using Arch for a few months I find myself typing "pacman" instead of "aptitude" every once in a while.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

well!I am just a week old to archlinux.for the past 6-7 yrs am on Debian and for the past 3 yrs on Debian Sid,which I had installed via network-install iso.

I am very much satisfied with Debian Sid apt-pinned with experimental and testing repos

even my siggy can be helpful

Beans

Has anyone spoke of the AUR?
    Last edited by raul_; March 8th, 2008 at 12:13 PM.
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    I'd have to agree. I thought aptitude was cool until I started using pacman. There's no contest.
    QFT, + yaourt <3
    ARCH64+XMonad | Ubuntu32 Natty | Configs | Webs | Blog

Beans

IMHO the AUR owns checkinstall although checkinstall is easier to use than making a PKGBUILD
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Not that easier. If you manage to get to the checkinstall command you can surely write a PKGBUILD. The only difference in writing a PKGBUILD is making sure you use fakeroot'ed directories.

Beans

Arch rocks! Been using it a while now and pacman is the bomb. Arch is really great for one who wishes to further knowledge of their system/linux in general as it really requires you to know what the hell you're doing much moreso than with Ubuntu.

And yes, AUR is very neat, as is ABS. A very, very user-friendly, fast, simple system for building packages and finding practically anything you need to install.

I probably like this community more than Arch's, however, as the snobbery and holier-than-thou-ness many of them give off to anyone who uses/used Ubuntu is incomprehensibly lame. I mean, it's a computer at the end of the day, yeesh.
    Last edited by herbster; March 9th, 2008 at 08:52 PM.
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans

Whatever works, ja?

Anyway, a buildscript can be anything with the correct variables. Anything other than something called PKGBUILD can be specified via makepkg.conf or at runtime with option -p.

Code:
    pkgname=monkey
    pkgver=1
    pkgrel=1
    arch=(i686)
    source=(http://animals.china.billgates/monkey.tar.mz)

build() {
    cd $srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver

mkdir -p $pkgdir/home/pidstew/monkey
    cp -r * $pkgdir/home/pidstew/monkey/
    }
    And then
    Code:
    makepkg -g >> thescript && makepkg -icp thescript
    should take care of your checkinstall habit. Seriously, that was just less than 30 secs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by machoo02 View Post
    Uh-oh....I think I might have caught the Arch bug. Decided to try it out on my laptop today, and I think that the experience can be summed up in 3 words. Sweet! Merciful! Crap! Bootup and shutdown is wicked fast, compiz runs amazingly, etc. When I get a little bit of free time, and after I work out a few minor things like suspend/hibernations, I might just switch over completely.
    I'm looking to try this out on a laptop as well. What, if any, guides did you use for install.
    If installing ubuntu is a 1 (on a 1 to 10 scale of hardness), where would you put Arch?
    Thanks for any info.
    J.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybirdman View Post
    I'm looking to try this out on a laptop as well. What, if any, guides did you use for install.
    If installing ubuntu is a 1 (on a 1 to 10 scale of hardness), where would you put Arch?
    Thanks for any info.
    J.
    http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

Put it this way: With Ubuntu, you install the system and many of the main parts of an everyday user's needs are there (evolution, firefox, etc.-- hell, even compiz). You install Arch and you are booting into a terminal, basically. You'll have to install the X server, gnome, window managers, firefox, etc. yourself. This is not to comment on the difficulty, as the installation of these packages are a breeze, but to say that you get a very, very barebones system whereby you yourself then choose exactly what you want.
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast