Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HOWTO: On-the-fly Multiseat (one computer acting as several physical ones)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: On-the-fly Multiseat (one computer acting as several physical ones)

Motin, are both your keyboard/mouse sets USB, or is one pair PS/2 and one USB?

To everyone here, do you think this setup (and also userful's) will work well with PCI-Express cards?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mayeulk View Post
    libncurses5-dev has some required headers. The script uses dbus.
    Hence my full list of packages to install becomes:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xgl libx11-dev libxtst-dev gizmod libncurses5-dev dbus-x11
    Thanks, I have updated the guide accordingly.

I also needed to download and compile errut from the same website as xevdevserver-2.0.0

Code:
    cd /errut-1.0.0/
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    before doing this:

Code:
    cd ../xevdevserver-2.0.0/
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    This is a bit odd, I never had do do this - what distribution are you using?

In addition, for completeness about the .sh script:

Code:
    sudo cp detect-and-assign-multiseat-mouse-and-keyboard.sh /usr/local/bin/
    sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/detect-and-assign-multiseat-mouse-and-keyboard.sh
    Thanks, I have added this to the guide.

Still, I have problems.

Code:
    # Any unused X display number...
    export SEAT2_DISPLAY=:1.0
    Can you be more specific?
    Code:
    echo  $MAIN_DISPLAY
    returns
    Code:
    :0.0
    Is :1.0 OK?
    :0.0 is the default main display number and :1.0 should be perfectly fine for that 2nd seat.

Is the following empty value OK?
    Code:
    # Tip: Use an empty value here while testing as fullscreen can be hard to get out from!
    export SEAT2_GEOMETRY=
    It sure is! It omits the -fullscreen parameter from the command that launches Xgl.

Where could I find inormation on how to "correctly launch KDE atm" ? (I Googled a bit, without success).
    Anyway, I'm far from it.
    Sorry, I am in the same position. Anyone else?

Doing
    Code:
    DISPLAY=$MAIN_DISPLAY ; sudo /usr/bin/Xgl -dpi 86 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv:pbuffer -softcursor $SEAT2_GEOMETRY :1.0 &
    Has no effect.
    The launch of Xgl is done before launching KDE, so the above command should be the same regardless of desktop environment used. Also, there is a semicolon in your command that should not be there for the first part to make sense.

I assume it is correct to do all the above in a graphical command line Konsole.

Thank you for your help.
    That is correct. Always glad my guide came to some use! Thanks for your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by arfarean View Post
    I've success spawn 2 independent Xgl process by following this thread instruction, using Ubuntu 8.04.

I wonder how to make it automated and make it without "frame" like this:

from http://research.edm.uhasselt.be/~jor...Misc.DualSeatX
    To make it automated, you best follow another guide, since this guide is specifically about how to acccomplish multiseat on demand... About that frameless 2x2 solution: Jori used a certain window manager with a name that has slipped my name unfortunately. It is very lightweight having the ability but to split the screen into 2x2, 3x3 patterns.

You may also have some luck in using Devilspie - with which you probably can make the Xgl windows frameless and with a fixed position upon startup.

Quote Originally Posted by EdGato View Post
    Motin, are both your keyboard/mouse sets USB, or is one pair PS/2 and one USB?

To everyone here, do you think this setup (and also userful's) will work well with PCI-Express cards?
    I am using the built-in mouse+keyboard of my laptop together with a pair of USB ditos.

This current setup requires X to be able to provide an extended desktop to the other graphic outputs. It it's possible to extend the desktop to more than 2-3 outputs then yes it will work, but otherwise you still have to dwelve into xorg.conf into such a degree that you might have better luck following a guide that is targeted for permanent multiseats.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro

Hi! I have a problem with this tutorial. Following the steps from the first page i stopped on make in XevdevServer dir because of some error. Meanwhile i discovered that my second keyboard isnt working(thought its maybe cause plug and play doesnt works as it should) and maybe because of that i should make ./configure again after restarting system. The thing now xserver starts without any pointer and keyboard working and restarts twice and after that i cant do anything on blank screen. I have no idea what can i do else. Im pissed because if i reinstall system ill have to go with my pc box near the access point and connect it by wire and configure wireless. So first can anybody tell how to restore this to defaults or sth like that? Second is how to make this all working on dual headed video card from nvidia.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kacperpl1 View Post
    Hi! I have a problem with this tutorial. Following the steps from the first page i stopped on make in XevdevServer dir because of some error. Meanwhile i discovered that my second keyboard isnt working(thought its maybe cause plug and play doesnt works as it should) and maybe because of that i should make ./configure again after restarting system. The thing now xserver starts without any pointer and keyboard working and restarts twice and after that i cant do anything on blank screen. I have no idea what can i do else. Im pissed because if i reinstall system ill have to go with my pc box near the access point and connect it by wire and configure wireless. So first can anybody tell how to restore this to defaults or sth like that?
    Since you only performed the first steps in the tutorial, and since trying to compile or install xevdevserver will not interfere with your X settings, I can only conclude that your misfortune is due to the installation of xserver-xgl. How that could affect your keyboard availability right away I have no idea though... Anyway:

xserver-xgl will attempt to autostart when installed, thus I added instructions on how to disable xserver-xgl autostart:
    mkdir -p ~/.config/xserver-xgl/
    touch ~/.config/xserver-xgl/disable

If you are sure that you performed that step correctly, then you can try to uninstall xserver-xgl:
    sudo apt-get remove xserver-wgl

If you cannot use X at all, then restart in rescue mode by chosing rescue mode for your kernel in the grub menu on computer boot, then run the above commands.

All in all, nothing in this tutorial except for the installation of xserver-xgl, should affect your system upon a reboot.

Second is how to make this all working on dual headed video card from nvidia.
    Can you configure an extended desktop with your graphics card? If so, then this guide will work for you. That is the only prerequisite to be able to use one monitor for each desktop.
    Last edited by motin; July 9th, 2008 at 02:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Im still unable to make the file.
    kacper@QuadK8:~/xevdevserver-2.0.0$ make
    Making all in src
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/kacper/xevdevserver-2.0.0/src'
    if g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"xevdevserver\" -DVERSION=\"2.0.0\" -I. -I. -g -O2 -MT xevdevkeyinfo.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/xevdevkeyinfo.Tpo" -c -o xevdevkeyinfo.o xevdevkeyinfo.cpp; \
    then mv -f ".deps/xevdevkeyinfo.Tpo" ".deps/xevdevkeyinfo.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/xevdevkeyinfo.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
    xevdevkeyinfo.cpp: In function ‘void printUsage()’:
    xevdevkeyinfo.cpp:40: error: ‘exit’ was not declared in this scope
    xevdevkeyinfo.cpp: In function ‘int processDeviceEvents()’:
    xevdevkeyinfo.cpp:136: error: ‘u_int8_t’ was not declared in this scope
    xevdevkeyinfo.cpp:136: error: expected `;' before ‘buffer’
    xevdevkeyinfo.cpp:145: error: ‘buffer’ was not declared in this scope
    make[1]: *** [xevdevkeyinfo.o] Error 1
    make[1]: leaving directory `/home/kacper/xevdevserver-2.0.0/src'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    I dont know what to do now. errut make crashes too.

EDIT: Ive managed that i had to include <cstring> and <cstdlib> in every bugged .cpp file because of newer (4.3) and a bit bugged version of gcc.

EDIT2: Ive managed how to launch it but dunno why it stays with cross instead of the arrow and with dotted background. I am running xubuntu so ive changed gnome-session to xfce4-session and nothing changed.
    EDIT3: After running this script for check only
    #!/bin/bash
    export SEAT2_SESSION="dbus-launch --exit-with-session xfce4-session"
    DISPLAY=$DISPLAY sudo /usr/bin/Xgl -dpi 86 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv:pbuffer -softcursor :1.0 &
    DISPLAY=$DISPLAY exec sudo dbus-launch --exit-with-session xfce4-session &
    i get crashes like this:
    kacper@QuadK8:~$ sh ND_SEAT.sh
    kacper@QuadK8:~$
    ** (xfwm4:10064): WARNING **: Another Window Manager is already running
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/TTF/, removing from list!
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/OTF, removing from list!
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/CID/, removing from list!

** (xfce4-session:10054): WARNING **: Unable to launch "nm-applet --sm-disable" (specified by autostart/nm-applet.desktop): Nie można wykonać procesu potomnego "nm-applet" (No such file or directory)

** (update-notifier:10360): WARNING **: not starting because user is not in admin group

WARNING: modinfo for module fglrx failed: modinfo: could not find module fglrx

WARNING: modinfo for module nvidia_new failed: modinfo: could not find module nvidia_new

WARNING: modinfo for module nvidia_legacy failed: modinfo: could not find module nvidia_legacy
    still nothing opens in newly opened Xgl. Maybe its because of drivers or because of xfce4.
    My system specs: Xubuntu Intrepid 32bit
    Nvidia 177.13 xen patched, installed from binary
    Quad AMD K8 and a single 9600GT(because of that i cant use 169 drivers, and 173 drivers are still not available for intrepid so i must build them from binary and 173 wont patch for xen kernels)
    Last edited by kacperpl1; July 9th, 2008 at 10:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Im still unable to make the file.
    I dont know what to do now. errut make crashes too.

EDIT: Ive managed that i had to include <cstring> and <cstdlib> in every bugged .cpp file because of newer (4.3) and a bit bugged version of gcc.

EDIT2: Ive managed how to launch it but dunno why it stays with cross instead of the arrow and with dotted background. I am running xubuntu so ive changed gnome-session to xfce4-session and nothing changed.
    EDIT3: After running this script for check only

i get crashes like this:

still nothing opens in newly opened Xgl. Maybe its because of drivers or because of xfce4.
    My system specs: Xubuntu Intrepid 32bit
    Nvidia 177.13 xen patched, installed from binary
    Quad AMD K8 and a single 9600GT(because of that i cant use 169 drivers, and 173 drivers are still not available for intrepid so i must build them from binary and 173 wont patch for xen kernels)
    Great that you managed to build xevdevserver!

As for the script, it is dependant that the $DISPLAY variable is set. Without it, it will try to start in your desktop environment, and not in the window. Therefore, make sure that you have run all the "export" commands in the terminal found under "2. Launch that 2nd seat" before running the commands that launch dbus/gnome etc.

Beans
    Distro

I know what do u mean but i'm still unable to run xfce or gnome int that xgl. MY starting script:
    #!/bin/bash
    DISPLAY=:0.1 sudo /usr/bin/Xgl -dpi 86 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv:pbuffer -softcursor -fullscreen :1.0 &
    DISPLAY=:0.1 exec sudo dbus-launch --exit-with-session xfce4-session &
    And crap ejected by terminal:
    kacper@QuadK8:~$ sudo sh 2ND_SEAT.sh
    kacper@QuadK8:~$ Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
    Use defaults: rules - 'xorg' model - 'pc101' layout - 'us'

** (xfwm4:6353): WARNING **: Another Window Manager is already running

WARNING: modinfo for module nvidia_new failed: modinfo: could not find module nvidia_new

WARNING: modinfo for module nvidia_legacy failed: modinfo: could not find module nvidia_legacy

** (xfce4-session:6343): WARNING **: Unable to launch "nm-applet --sm-disable" (specified by autostart/nm-applet.desktop): could not exec descendant process "nm-applet" (No such file or directory)
    Connection failure: Connection refused

Tracker version 0.6.6 Copyright (c) 2005-2007 by Jamie McCracken (jamiemcc@gnome.org)

This program is free software and comes without any warranty.
    It is licensed under version 2 or later of the General Public License which can be viewed at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt

Initialising tracker...

** (trackerd:6381): WARNING **: Tracker daemon is already running - attempting to run in readonly mode
    starting HAL detection for ac adaptors...none found
    Throttle level is 0

** (update-notifier:6387): WARNING **: not starting because user is not in admin group

EDIT: Can u tell me what distro are u using and what xserver do u have? I'm just unable to launch multiple gnome/xfce4 sessions using almost clear xubuntu hardy or intrepid. Give more spec about your system where all this does work. I just don't get it how is this possible that none of those simple tutorials and howto's works in my xubuntu.
    Last edited by kacperpl1; July 11th, 2008 at 06:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I know what do u mean but i'm still unable to run xfce or gnome int that xgl. MY starting script:
    I don't see where you got :0.1 from, I usually only use :0.0 and :1.0. Also, the Xgl should use :0.0 and the dbus command should use :1.0 in ordered to be started within the Xgl window.

For that part, it should then read:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    DISPLAY=:0.0 sudo /usr/bin/Xgl -dpi 86 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv:pbuffer -softcursor -fullscreen :1.0 &
    DISPLAY=:1.0 exec sudo dbus-launch --exit-with-session xfce4-session &
    My suggestion is that you follow the guide point by point and make sure that works before trying to automate the process through a script.

EDIT: Can u tell me what distro are u using and what xserver do u have? I'm just unable to launch multiple gnome/xfce4 sessions using almost clear xubuntu hardy or intrepid. Give more spec about your system where all this does work. I just don't get it how is this possible that none of those simple tutorials and howto's works in my xubuntu.
    Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04, although when I wrote the guide I used Gutsy 7.10, or even Feisty 7.04.

X.org version: 1:7.3+10ubuntu10.2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Very nice how to.

May I add some general information. X sessions are numbered starting with 0 , ie :0 , :1 ., etc.

With multiple monitors we add a . , so first session, first screen == :0.0
    first session, second screen == :0.1

second session, first screen (with default numbering) == :1.0
    second session, second screen == :1.1

and on ...

although not the same, you may be interested in these links as well :

How-to run Multiple (Virtual) X sessions - Ubuntu Forums

How to Xephyr ~ AKA Multiple, nested X sessions - Ubuntu Forums

If I may, keep in mind that the Ubuntu wiki is also user maintained (hint)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultiseatX
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

When I put this in terminal:

DISPLAY=$MAIN_DISPLAY sudo /usr/bin/Xgl -dpi 86 -ac -accel glxbuffer -accel xvbuffer -softcursor $SEAT2_GEOMETRY :1.0 &
    say me

XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
    after 81 requests (81 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

[1]+ Exit 1 DISPLAY=$MAIN_DISPLAY sudo /usr/bin/Xgl -dpi 86 -ac -accel glxbuffer -accel xvbuffer -softcursor $SEAT2_GEOMETRY :1.0

I will testing http://es.wikibooks.org/wiki/Multite.../Usando_Xephyr

is for debian sarge but I will testing

Will it work?
    Last edited by Augustino; November 18th, 2008 at 05:23 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123