Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Sync Evolution with Nokia N95 via Bluetooth on Ubuntu Gutsy

Beans

Lightbulb HOWTO: Sync Evolution with Nokia N95 via Bluetooth on Ubuntu Gutsy

** NOTE: 26TH APRIL 2008 - THIS GUIDE ALSO APPLIES TO UBUNTU 8.04 HARDY HERON. TESTED AND WORKING 100% **

Hi all,

After much pain, I have finally got my Nokia N95 (non-8GB model) syncing properly with Evolution, so I thought I'd share my experience, in particular to those who are currently suffering from the "Syntax error" issue that arises out of most of the other HowTo's.

This HowTo has the following prerequisites:

• Vanilla Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 with relevant updates to today. Or vanilla Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS First Release.
    • Nokia N95 with firmware 11.0.026 or later.
    • OpenSync version 0.21 (Gutsy comes with 0.19 which causes the "Syntax error" messages people have been getting - Hardy Heron comes with 0.22).
    • Evolution 2.12.0 (as shipped with Gutsy - Hardy ships with 2.22.1).
    • A successful pairing of your N95 and Ubuntu install. If you can transfer files to/from your N95, you're ready to sync Evolution. If you don't know how to pair your Bluetooth-enabled phone, there is an excellent tutorial for doing that here.

NOTE: OpenSync does NOT have support yet for syncing Notes. Using this guide you will only be able to sync your Contacts, Tasks (ToDo's) and Calendar.

DISCLAIMER: You try these intructions at your own risk. I will not be responsible if your N95 goes supernova or if the cats and dogs in your neighbourhood call a truce and start living together. Backup all data on your N95 and Evolution installation before doing anything that you might regret later!

There are two lots of instructions here, one for the GUI fans and one for the commando, erm, command-line fans. Take your pick, but before we go anywhere, we do need to get the MAC address and SyncML Client Channel number your N95 uses.

1. To get your N95's MAC address, open a terminal and type:

Code:
      $ hcitool scan
      Scanning ...
              00:AA:11:BB:22:CC       Nokia N95
      $
    2. My phone is called "Nokia N95" and has a MAC address of 00:AA:11:BB:22:CC - yours will obviously be different. Note it down.
    3. Next, determine the Channel your N95 uses to sync with. By default, it should be Channel 10, but if in doubt, issue the command (substitute your MAC address):

Code:
      $ sdptool browse 00:AA:11:BB:22:CC
      ...and scroll through until you come to the section referring to "SyncMLClient" (NOT the "Nokia SyncML Server" or "SyncML DM Client"). Note down the Channel shown.
      HARDY HERON USERS: SKIP THE NEXT TWO STEPS. You do NOT need to do this. Go to Step 6 NOW.
    4. Next, we need to update Ubuntu's repository so we can get the latest OpenSync software. Start with getting the GPG keys:

Code:
      $ gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net/ --recv-keys CB210090B029CB84
      $ gpg --export CB210090B029CB84 | sudo apt-key add -
    5. Now add the following to the end of /etc/apt/sources.list (note, there is no Gutsy repository yet at the time of writing):

Code:
      deb http://opensync.gforge.punktart.de/repo/opensync-0.21/ feisty main
      deb-src http://opensync.gforge.punktart.de/repo/opensync-0.21/ feisty main
      GUI fans can use System->Administration->Software Sources->Third-Party Software and use the "Add" button to add each line in turn. When you click close, you will be prompted to reload to get the info from the new repositories you just added. Do so.
      HARDY HERON USERS: Continue instruction from here. The Ubuntu-supplied version of OpenSync is 0.22 and will work for you, hence no need for third-party updates.
    6. Now update the system with new package lists and download the software we need:

Code:
      $ sudo apt-get update
      $ sudo apt-get install multisync-tools multisync0.90 opensync-plugin-evolution opensync-plugin-syncml

Now we are ready to configure OpenSync. Choose GUI or command line instructions below.

COMMAND LINE CONFIGURATION

1. Let's go commando with OpenSync. First we create a group to refer to our sync session with. I've called mine "evolution-n95", but you can call it whatever you want. We then create the config for the Evolution side as the first member of this group.

Code:
      $ msynctool --addgroup evolution-n95
      $ msynctool --addmember evolution-n95 evo2-sync
      $ msynctool --configure evolution-n95 1
    2. Your text editor will pop up editing member 1 of your evolution-n95 group. Edit the config to look like this:

Code:
      <config>
        <address_path>default</address_path>
        <calendar_path>default</calendar_path>
        <tasks_path>default</tasks_path>
      </config>
    3. Now do to the N95 side, adding its config as the second member of the group:

Code:
      $ msynctool --addmember evolution-n95 syncml-obex-client
      $ msynctool --configure evolution-n95 2
    4. Your text editor will pop up editing member 2 of your evolution-n95 group. Edit the config to look like this (remember to put your N95's MAC address and Channel number in):

Code:
      <config>
      	<bluetooth_address>00:AA:11:BB:22:CC</bluetooth_address>
      	<bluetooth_channel>10</bluetooth_channel>
      	<interface>0</interface>
      	<identifier>PC Suite</identifier>
      	<version>1</version>
      	<wbxml>1</wbxml>
      	<username></username>
      	<password></password>
      	<type>2</type>
      	<usestringtable>1</usestringtable>
      	<onlyreplace>0</onlyreplace>
      	<recvLimit>0</recvLimit>
      	<maxObjSize>0</maxObjSize>
      	<contact_db>Contacts</contact_db>
      	<calendar_db>Calendar</calendar_db>
      	<note_db></note_db>
      </config>
    5. Now you're ready to rock and/or roll. Let's try syncing:

Code:
      $ msynctool --sync evolution-n95
      ...and you should get a whole stream of mumbo-jumbo similar to the following:

Code:
      $ msynctool --sync evolution-n95
      Synchronizing group "evolution-n95" 
      The previous synchronization was unclean. Slow-syncing
      Member 1 of type evo2-sync just connected
      received event dsession
      received contact dsession
      Member 2 of type syncml-obex-client just connected
      All clients connected or error
      Received an entry pas-id-47AA3D7000000000 with data of size 4 from member 1. Changetype ADDED
      Received an entry pas-id-47AAB03C00000000 with data of size 4 from member 1. Changetype ADDED
      Received an entry 20080206T205400Z-5332-1000-1-0@lamaar with data of size 4 from member 1. Changetype ADDED
      Received an entry 20080212T131911Z-5797-1000-1-0@lamaar with data of size 4 from member 1. Changetype ADDED
      Member 1 of type evo2-sync just sent all changes
      Received an reply to our Alert
      Going to receive 27 changes
      Received an entry 1 with data of size 4 from member 2. Changetype ADDED
      Going to receive 4 changes
      Received an entry 2 with data of size 4 from member 2. Changetype ADDED
      Received an entry 3 with data of size 4 from member 2. Changetype ADDED
      Member 2 of type syncml-obex-client just sent all changes
      All clients sent changes or error
      All conflicts have been reported
      Sent an entry pas-id-47BF9BC100000001 of size 92 to member 1. Changetype ADDED
      Sent an entry pas-id-47BF9BC100000002 of size 104 to member 1. Changetype ADDED
      Sent an entry pas-id-47BF9BC100000003 of size 113 to member 1. Changetype ADDED
      Sent an entry 20080223T040625Z-14241-1000-1-0@lamaar of size 426 to member 1. Changetype ADDED
      Sent an entry 20080223T040625Z-14241-1000-1-2@lamaar of size 252 to member 1. Changetype ADDED
      Member 1 of type evo2-sync committed all changes.
      Received an reply to our sync
      Sent an entry 29 of size 205 to member 2. Changetype ADDED
      Sent an entry 30 of size 153 to member 2. Changetype ADDED
      Received an reply to our sync
      Sent an entry 6 of size 362 to member 2. Changetype ADDED
      Sent an entry 7 of size 345 to member 2. Changetype ADDED
      Member 2 of type syncml-obex-client committed all changes.
      All clients have written
      Member 1 of type evo2-sync just disconnected
      Member 2 of type syncml-obex-client just disconnected
      All clients have disconnected
      The sync was successful
      $
      Depending on your data to sync, you may see a LOT of info. This may be done quickly or take a minute or two. In any case, you should see "The sync was successful" at the end amd be returned to the prompt.
    6. Pat yourself on the back - you're done. Sync again with the same command as much as you want.

GUI CONFIGURATION
    1. Go to the Accessories menu and choose "Multisync-qad".
    2. Click on the "Add" icon at the top. You will be prompted for a group name. You can use whatever you want. I chose "evolution-n95". Type it in and click "Apply".
    3. Now click on the "Edit" button in the middle of the window.
    4. In the new window that appears, click "Add member" on the middle-left. A new window appears.
    5. Choose "Evolution 2.x" from the list and click "Apply". This is your first member of the group and will appear as "evo2-sync" in the list under the group name.
    6. Click on "evo2-sync" in the list and the window content will change to show its config. All three of the options should read "Personal".
    7. Now click on "Add member" again and this time choose "SyncML over OBEX Client" from the list and click Apply. This will be your second member of the group and will appear as "syncml-obex-client" in the list under the group name.
    8. Click on "syncml-obex-client" in the list and the window content will change to show its config. Ensure that all the text in that window looks like this (substituting your N95's MAC address and Channel number of course):

Code:
      <config>
      	<bluetooth_address>00:AA:11:BB:22:CC</bluetooth_address>
      	<interface>0</interface>
      	<version>1</version>
      	<wbxml>1</wbxml>
      	<username></username>
      	<password></password>
      	<type>2</type>
      	<recvLimit>0</recvLimit>
      	<note_db></note_db>
      </config>
    9. Now click on the Close button. You are ready to sync. Click on the Refresh button in the middle of the original window and watch was your N95 syncs away. You won't get any feedback other than the status in that window. If all is good, after a few seconds or a minute, you should see "The sync was successful".
    10. Pat yourself on the back. If you have a pet, pat him too, because he's been begging for your attention all this time.

Note that your N95 will record a successful (or failed) sync in its log too.

That's it! Happy syncing!
    Last edited by HyRax; April 26th, 2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Added note about guide compatibility with Hardy Heron.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Sync Evolution with Nokia N95 via Bluetooth on Ubuntu Gutsy

Works perfectly! Thanks I have the latest firmware of n95, so that's ok. Any easy way to extend this to synchronizing google calendar at the same time? And is it possible to have n95 start the sync? (That's no biggi though)
    Last edited by olavjunior; February 27th, 2008 at 05:01 PM.

Beans

Hmmm - I don't use the Google calendar, so I haven't tried that, but it shouldn't be difficult. I'll look into it.

As for the sync, I setup a cron job to execute the command-line sync twice a day from the PC, so I don't even have to initiate sync from my N95. I treat the N95 as a "slave" to the PC.

Given that it is OpenSync that facilitates the sync itself, it would have to be listening out for the N95 to work, so this HowTo I did won't facilitate an N95-to-PC sync, only a PC-to-N95 sync. Again, let me look into it.

Beans

OK, there's a post in these very forums where someone has dealt with syncing Evolution with Google Calendar using SyncEvolution and scheduleworld.com to facilitate a two-way sync.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=282408

But like with the N95, it is a master-slave type arrangement - everything has to be initiated from your PC - your N95 and Google are just "off-site copies" of your contacts and calendars.

As for the N95-to-PC sync, I'll keep looking.

Beans
    Distro

Nice Having one problem though.. I've used the graphical interface to choose what to be included in the synk. And there I've chosen the private adressbook (I have two, one for emailadresses and one for phone contacts) But it still synks all my email contacts So I've ended up with hundreds of duplicate names... :S

EDIT: Never mind, I must have done something wrong, cause all my emails had gotten into my regular contacts. Deleted and everything works fine now
    Last edited by olavjunior; February 28th, 2008 at 04:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for posting this guide!

I seem to be able to get tasks, calendar and contacts syncing but can't get notes to work. If there are any notes on the N95, the process just seems to stall. Are notes syncing for you, or do you not use these?

Beans
    Distro

Damn! I get duplicated every entry in the calendar, both on phone and pc!! Help!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by paddy1978 View Post
    Thanks for posting this guide!

I seem to be able to get tasks, calendar and contacts syncing but can't get notes to work. If there are any notes on the N95, the process just seems to stall. Are notes syncing for you, or do you not use these?
    Hiya,

I was never using Notes before and my instruction does include syncing the Notes.

Just trying it out myself, yes - the sync does indeed hang and some further research indicates that OpenSync does not have support for syncing Notes yet.

The problem is fixed by simply not syncing Notes, or deleting your Notes from both sides before trying to sync again.

Go into a terminal window and enter:
    Code:
    $ msynctool --configure evolution-n95 2
    ...and edit the second-last line that reads
    Code:
    <note_db>Notes</note_db>
    ...to be:
    Code:
    <note_db></note_db>
    Save and exit, then try and re-sync. Your Notes will be ignored and the sync will complete successfully for just the Contacts and Calendar.

FOR GUI USERS: Open Applications->Accessories->Multisync-qad, hit the Edit button, then click on "syncml-obex-client" in the list on the left, then edit the above-mentioned line in the panel on the right. Click on the Close button and then click on the Refresh button to sync again.

I've modified my instruction accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by olavjunior View Post
    Damn! I get duplicated every entry in the calendar, both on phone and pc!! Help!
    As for your doubled contacts, not sure how that happened - mine has worked flawlessly...!
    Last edited by HyRax; March 5th, 2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote!
    Racecar is just Racecar spelt backwards...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi there I was wondering if you guys could help me.

I can connect to my phone via bluetooth no problem.

My phones mac address from the hcitool scan is
    Code:
    00:1C:9A:1F:38:4C       My phone
    My evolution configuration file for evolution from msynctool --configure evolution-n95 1 is...
    Code:
    <config>
      <address_path>default</address_path>
      <calendar_path>default</calendar_path>
      <tasks_path>default</tasks_path>
    </config>
    This is my bluetooth config (msynctool --configure evolution-n95 2)
    Code:
    <config>
            <bluetooth_address>00:1C:9A:1F:38:4C</bluetooth_address>
            <interface>0</interface>
            <version>1</version>
            <wbxml>1</wbxml>
            <username></username>
            <password></password>
            <type>2</type>
            <recvLimit>0</recvLimit>
            <note_db></note_db>
    </config>
    When I run msynctool --sync evolution-n95 I get
    Code:
    Synchronizing group "evolution-n95"
    The previous synchronization was unclean. Slow-syncing
    Member 1 of type evo2-sync just connected
    received event dsession
    received contact dsession
    Member 2 of type syncml-obex-client just connected
    All clients connected or error
    Member 1 of type evo2-sync just sent all changes
    Member 2 of type syncml-obex-client just sent all changes
    All clients sent changes or error
    Member 1 of type evo2-sync committed all changes.
    Member 1 of type evo2-sync just disconnected
    During this process on my phone it says connecting,disconnecting and then System Error.

Here is my Sync Connection Settings on my N95
    Server Version: 1.1
    Data Bearer: Bluetooth
    Host Address: PC Suite
    Username: none
    Password : none
    Allow sync requests: Yes
    Accept all sync requests: Yes

In my applications I have Contacts, Calendar and Notes enabled. And the settings seem pretty straightforward.

When I view the log profile the Status says Incomplete.

Can anyone spot something wrong with my setup?

Thanks!

Beans

Check the version of OpenSync you are running. The ¨Syntax error¨ issue is directly related to the version supplied with Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10. Upgrade to OpenSync 0.21 or later and I suspect your problem will magically disappear (see the top of my first post).

You can check your version of OpenSync by looking at the version installed via System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager, then lookup ¨ÖpenSync¨.
    Racecar is just Racecar spelt backwards...

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast