Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Package Website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Ubuntu Package Website

I had this idea about a redesign of packages.ubuntu.com, or possibly just a separate website altogether. Kinda like a web-based frontend for the Ubuntu repositories, but user friendly and fun, like Download.com or Linspire's CNR.
    What does everyone think about that idea? Is it something the Ubuntu community could benefit from?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Package Website

I like the idea. You might take a look at http://packages.ubuntu.com/ before you go to all the work of designing from scratch. Your implementation looks a lot prettier and would probably have some functionality not in the above site, though.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

loving it

Beans

thats hot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Okay, good response. I'll contact the http://packages.ubuntu.com to see about using this design. Although, the site is very functional now, especially for developers and advanced users. I think my idea would server better as a separate site (downloads.ubuntu.com?) or as a subsection of the existing site (packages.ubuntu.com/downloads). It will be super-easy to implement in CSS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Looks really good!

K
    "When I'm right no one remembers....When I'm wrong no one forgets.."
    Registered Linux User#396300 Get Counted
    Use The Guide
    After The Guide read the Ubuntu Docs
    Basic Linux Commands - Check

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i like what i see. the community projects in ubuntu is one of the things i like about this distro.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by philipacamaniac
    Okay, good response. I'll contact the http://packages.ubuntu.com to see about using this design. Although, the site is very functional now, especially for developers and advanced users. I think my idea would server better as a separate site (downloads.ubuntu.com?) or as a subsection of the existing site (packages.ubuntu.com/downloads). It will be super-easy to implement in CSS.
    Post this on the user's mailing list. Probably also send an email to Jane Siber from Canonical. She would give you the right direction as to how to run with this.

The packages.ubuntu.com site is a copy of debian's package site. It scans the repositories regularly and updates itself. It saves on processor power by scanning at regular intervals and generating the pages once and caching them. This is different from the typical contructed-on-demand CMS pages. I hope this helps.

They (Canonical) love ideas like this, you know.
    Last edited by az; September 30th, 2005 at 01:52 AM.
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Excellent idea! Carry forwards -- this is the future of CNR.

I'd love to see a portal built around Ubuntu's main/universe repositories, highlighting special apps, collecting statistics on popular packages, and perhaps even letting users comment about packages and rate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Two things:

1: This is awesome looking.

2. The packages.ubuntu.com site was a community based effort. Yours can be too. Personally though.....I would also try to work with one more party:

http://klik.atekon.de/ubuntu.php

Klik has been trying to make an Ubuntu side for a while. Your idea+ klik could be the ultimate way to install programs (plus would get over the klik site's problem of mixing Debian and Ubuntu sources).

This thing is SOOOOO slick that I bet if you need help you will get it. I will personally say that you can use these boards to recruit help. Please do in fact.

Yet another step on the path of Ubuntu rulling the desktop world!
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast