Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Howto: Use BlueProximity and your cellphone for security

Then I'll remove it
    Against TCPA | Hell, it's about time! | FORZA FERRARI
    Almost Sober tour 2008

Beans

Can someone link me to a guide on pairing the iphone via BT on 8.04? Im using a generic compatible adapter on my desktop, and blueman BT manager. The phone showed up once as a "smart phone" but no longer shows up when I scan, nor did pairing ever work. Hope to get this working for use with Blueproximity.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kasulstyls View Post
    Hey Lars!!

Thanks for the app!!

I ment the instructional page has a section of working phones and non-working phones.

--Past--
    Working phones

* I removed the phone list because .. well this seem to work with everything

Non-working phones

* iPhones are reported as not working:/
    --end past --

Thanks for the fix

Have a good day!

kas
    You got this working with iPhone 3G? Can you post directions? I tried blueman bluetooth manager like another poster said, but my puter still doesn't see it...

Beans

I'm also not able to get my iPhone 3g to pair. Do I need to jailbreak my phone to accomplish this?

Beans

Question Re: Howto: Use BlueProximity and your cellphone for security

Can anyone recommend a good bluetooth adapter for me? I need an adapter that works flawlessly with blueproximity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have searched for some clue to solve this, but of the few things I have found, none of them work.

I just want BlueProximity to run a script when I leave, which will start 'motion', the webcam motion detection program. But I keep getting 'permission denied' errors, and motion dies. Honestly, I have never gotten motion to run except by sudo on the CLI, and I do not think I can teach an automated script to do sudo for me--without exposing my root password in plain text which I won't do. Recently, following some suggestion from somewhere now forgotten, I had chmod-ed some files/directories (changed the sticky bit) and got it to work as just 'motion' on the CLI, sans sudo.

The problem is that motion cannot create the PID file, /var/run/motion.pid. Permission denied.

Code:
    xxx@xxxbox:~$ motion
    [0] Processing thread 0 - config file /etc/motion/motion.conf
    [0] Processing config file /etc/motion/thread1.conf
    [0] Processing config file /etc/motion/thread2.conf
    [0] Motion 3.2.9 Started
    [0] Exit motion, cannot create process id file (pid file) /var/run/motion.pid: Permission denied
    [0] Motion going to daemon mode
    xxx@xxxbox:~$ sudo killall motion
    motion: no process killed
    xxx@xxxbox:~$
    Motion does not go to demon mode (like it says). It exits, like it says earlier.

I'm mentioning this here since it is a script I am trying to use with blueproximity. I know it does not have much else to do with this thread, but others here who use a script with blueproximity are likely to have run into something similar, and possibly resolved it.

I hope. Thanks.

edit
    UPDATE

I can fix this, but only by making /var/run world writable. Is that terrible to do?
    Last edited by ubuntwinkel; February 13th, 2009 at 06:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hi, I can't make it work

I've paired a nokia 6103b with Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex through a broadcomm usb bluetooth stick. I sent images to my computer without problem using bluetooth-applet and gnome-obex-server.

Blueproximity doesn't find my cellphone, even if I shutdown the obex-server, it says "Sorry, the bluetooth devices is busy connecting. Please enter a correct mac address or no address at all for the config that is not connecting and try again later".

I tried shutting down every bluetooth software, unplugging the adapter, starting bluetooth daemon, plugging the adapter again (it gets detected) and starting blueproximity and the result is the same.

When I did an "sdptool browse" as root the answer was:

Inquiring ...
    Inquiry failed

I suspect of some limitation of the USB stick... any ideas?

TIA for your help.

Beans

Well, I tried using this on my Motorola Razor (If it matters, the Miami Ink one with the dragon). But it doesn't work.... (Big sigh)

I was wondering if there's anyway to make it work. My phone's with T-Mobile. So, I don't know if that matters either.

Thanks guys! ^_^

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Howto: Use BlueProximity and your cellphone for security

Quote Originally Posted by AusIV4 View Post
    Seems to work with the Motorola RIZR.

I have a little bit of a security concern here though. I like the idea of my computer locking when I walk away, but in theory someone could spoof my phone's MAC, allowing them to unlock the computer when I'm not there. I'd much prefer it lock when I walk away, and I type in the password when I come back.

Is there any preferred way to disable unlocking the screen? I've set the "Unlocking Command" to "true" (a command that returns true and exits), but I don't know if there's a better way to do this.
    One of the reasons that you have to enter a number when pairing two devices in bluetooth is to address the very concern you raise. However if you set the unlocking command to something like 'echo `date` - bluetooth device within range >> ~/btlog.txt' so that you have a log of the device comming within range may help.

Another means would be to create a script that gets an encrypted file off your phone, decrypt it with gpg, verify it matches expectations then unlock the screen, increment a serial number within that file, re-encrypt it, and put the encrypted file back on the device, and you should have a much more secure method of verification than just the mac address for the phone. If you have multiple computers, each could have it's own verification file that gets put on the phone.

-Rusty

Beans

Well, security is not my biggest issue at this point, maybe when someone gets into my computer via bluetooth. Which, I highly doubt will happen.

Have you guys come up with anything on the Razor?

Thanks in advance! ^_^

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast