Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Adobe Digital Editions using WINE

Beans

Installing Adobe Digital Editions using WINE

At present Adobe Digital Editions does not support LINUX with a promissed version due in the future.

I need to run Adobe Digital Editions (DE) to make use of an academic website (Athens) that uses the DRM elements of DE to loan out articles to the user for a defined period of time.

Two pre requirements of DE when running on Vista are: Adobe Flash 9.0 and Adobe READER 8.0. I have got both these running using the linux versions of the software.

I had hoped to run DE using WINE, but I am figuring that as the application is a Rich Internet Application (RIA) it does not download and install as a normal .exe file.

Any clues or help? Are their any alternatives?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Installing Adobe Digital Editions using WINE

I have been trying to figure out how to get DE running for awhile as well. I don't have the same requirements as you, but I have a few PDFs that I need DRM authorization for.

I am currently trying to get DE to authorize my PDFs. I have it installed. What I did was look at the shortcut in Windows and find where the .exe was being pulled from. The default location in Windows XP is: C:\Documents and Settings\(USER)\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\www . macromedia.com\bin\digitaleditons1x5\digitaleditio ns1x5.exe

(NOTE: The spaces in the path above are because the board keeps changing the link name to a hyperlink.)

I copied this .exe and installed it with Wine. It runs great, but I have not been able to read any DRM PDFs. Yet.

Hope this helps.

Beans

I got Adobe Digital Editions to work using WINE as well. I just went to the folder where the program is on my windows partition (as already listed above) and right clicked it in Nautilus and told it to open via WINE. It then went about installing it into WINE. After that I copied the Digital editions folder from my windows to my WINE 'c' drive -- creating the exact folders C:/Documents and Settings/.../www.mac.../...

I then drag-and-dropped my DRM'd book into the running program. It was either here or when installed it that it asked me to authorize my computer with my adobe user name and password (received by registering on the adobe web-site -- otherwise it threatens to tie the ebooks down to your hardware to make sure your not given into the temptation of a pirates life on cyber seas).

It runs just like it does in WinXP now. My theory is that all one needs to do is get a hold of the install file without having to go through the flash install utility on the adobe website. -- I'd tried that with Firefox running in WINE but it would always give me an error message after downloading the installer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I was able to get it to work as well... If anyone needs the installer just post here and I will see if I can direct you to the right place for download...

Beans
    Distro

I've been looking for it for 20 minutes and can't trick the download site into thinking I have windows. That would be great if you could post it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, installing now!

Beans

Thanks for the excellent info above. Just want to add that after getting the EXE from a windows machine and copying it to an arbitrary directory on my machine I installed it using Crossover Office 7.1. It works fine so far. When I purchased some ebooks they download as an "ascm" file. In Windows they automatically launch Adobe DE but in Linux they just land on your Desktop. Dragging them onto the DE icon that Crossover left on the Desktop completed the cycle and DE then downloads them perfectly.

Beans

I'm trying to read e-books on a Thinkpad 600E running XUBUNTU (Intrepid) using Adobe Digital Editions v1.5. I successfully installed ADE using WINE and the method outlined above. But I haven't been able to authenticate, so can't open my e-books. I suspect others were able to do this because they had previously authenticated using MS Windows on the same PC (dual booting). I don't have that option. Anyone know how to authenticate using WINE on a pure XUBUNTU installation?

Thanks in advance. JTT

Beans

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast