Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Installing Adobe Digital Editions using WINE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installing Adobe Digital Editions using WINE

Shinto314 - so what you're saying is that, by this method, the Nook will be detected every time? I was searching for a solution as my wife uses ADE, and I want something fire-and-forget for her so that she doesn't need to worry about a terminal or menu-searching every time.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz Dual Core, ASUS ATX AMD Motherboard, CORSAIR 4GB RAM, EVGA 512MB GeForce 9500 GT, 1.5TB mirrored RAID, 30GB primary drive, pcHDTV and Hauppauge 1600 tuners. Yeah, this hasn't been accurate for a long time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Okay, from my experiments, the above instructions work, but they are not automatic, meaning that they have to be done every time you want to use your nook in ADE. Is there any way to make this automatic?
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz Dual Core, ASUS ATX AMD Motherboard, CORSAIR 4GB RAM, EVGA 512MB GeForce 9500 GT, 1.5TB mirrored RAID, 30GB primary drive, pcHDTV and Hauppauge 1600 tuners. Yeah, this hasn't been accurate for a long time.

Beans

I got as far as downloading Adobe Digital Editions, and it opens and show me an empty bookcase, and tells me I have 45 days until I need to upgrade, blah blah blah.

I checked out a book from my library (Chicago Public) and downloaded it, and tried dragging the .acsm files into the ADE window, and nothing happened. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm operating off of ubuntu 10.04, if it matters.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I works well with Wine in Gnome 3 (11.10 Oneiric) but not in previous versions.

I don't have any problems installing and using it so far, but I have all sorts of issues in 11.04. It installs and validates, but that's about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

That's great news! I'm on Lucid right now. Guess I'll be chefking out the upgrade process shortly! One less this to do under Windows!!!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by gacb View Post
    I works well with Wine in Gnome 3 (11.10 Oneiric) but not in previous versions.

I don't have any problems installing and using it so far, but I have all sorts of issues in 11.04. It installs and validates, but that's about it.

Beans

I'm using 11.10. System specs. Asus 1005ha BIOS 1601 and Sony Reader Pocket edition (PRS-350). I was able to install ADE under wine and validate my computer and borrowed 3 books from the library which read and work properly under ADE.

When I plug in my ereader Ubuntu acknowledges it and brings up a window but ADE does not seem to know of its existence. I followed the above directions for the Nook hopeful that they would work for the Sony Reader a couple of times with minor variations but there has been no change. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Smile Re: Installing Adobe Digital Editions using WINE

I just found a successful, fairly simple way to use Adobe Digital Editions under wine and open acsm files.

First, manually download the setup.exe from http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403051.html

Install it in wine by opening the command line and typing "wine setup.exe"

Once it's installed, open the Wine explorer by typing "wine explorer.exe" in the command line. Within the file explorer, locate the acsm file you downloaded. If you downloaded it to the Downloads folder within your home folder, you may be able to find the file at Z:\home\[username]\Downloads\[filename].acsm, or perhaps at My Documents\Downloads\[filename].acsm.

Right-click the file, and click "Open." It should open within ADE.

In my wine installation, the windows home folder is under C:\windows\profiles\[username], or in Linux at ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/[username]. Also ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/[username]/My Documents is symlinked to ~. So, the epub that is imported to your ADE Library can be found at ~/My Digital Editions. If you know how to strip adobe drm (hint, it's called inept), you can now strip the drm from the epub file in that directory and open the file in a native linux app (for example, FBReader).

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by chingchong View Post
    The link pointing to the Installer v1.7 is broken and sends you back to the Adobe front page for DE

Current installer is v2.0 for that site. It installed via WINE but wouldn't open, no error messages were generated

I edited my software sources in Ubuntu Software Centre and added ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa under the Other Software tab

Did an update and grabbed the latest WINE copy, when I opened WINETRICKS it gave me the option to install Digital Editions

Install went fine, Digital Editions opened and seems to work OK, except the search function crashes it every time

For my next trick I'll work out how to open the textbook I just bought

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

More power to you!! Just so I understand, the v2 will open and let you read the .acsm files, just not search within their content, right?

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Doublehelix22 View Post
    The link pointing to the Installer v1.7 is broken and sends you back to the Adobe front page for DE

Current installer is v2.0 for that site. It installed via WINE but wouldn't open, no error messages were generated

I edited my software sources in Ubuntu Software Centre and added ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa under the Other Software tab

Did an update and grabbed the latest WINE copy, when I opened WINETRICKS it gave me the option to install Digital Editions

Install went fine, Digital Editions opened and seems to work OK, except the search function crashes it every time

For my next trick I'll work out how to open the textbook I just bought

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast