Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Adobe Digital Editions using WINE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Installing Adobe Digital Editions using WINE

Quote Originally Posted by misha680 View Post
    So I am not sure this is "allowed" but it's second on Google and very helpful.

http://www.pdfunlock.com/ebook

Worked for me for Adobe Digital Editions.
    Misha
    It says you have to have 32bit and windows. I am using neither.
    EDIT: and it appears as though the service was shut down. Does anyone have the newest Adobe Digital Editions? Thanks
    Last edited by Abadon125; November 19th, 2009 at 05:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jasonparekh View Post
    Hit the same error if I tried to open the file via the menu. Instead, drag and drop your ACSM file into the Digital Editions window (via Nautilus if nothing else works).
    I can't get it to open an ACSM file no matter what I do. I get the error above if I do 'open with' or if I use the open menu item from Digital Editions itself, and when I dragged and dropped, it said "Unknown command line file type".

Any ideas? Digital Editions seems to run fine under WINE but if I can't open an ACSM file... it won't do me any good.

/Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've got ADE working and I can read ebooks I bought on a windows pc.

But here is my question. Does anyone know how I would go about getting it to recognise my Sony Reader so I can transfer ebooks between them?

Thanks.

EDIT: Just after I wrote that I tried to copy and paste the ebook I bought, from my ADE folder straight to my Sony Reader. It's not encrypted, and I can read it perfectly. I have no idea why. When I try to open it in the normal E-book viewer I'm told it's protected by DRM. I'd be interested to hear any theories.
    Last edited by shayguitarra; November 29th, 2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: More info.

Beans

Yeah, I have the same problem as Kevin... I can download a urllink.acsm file, but I can't open it with ADE via "add item to library" or drag and drop it into the window ("unknown command line file type")

Also, for anyone who's thinking of just trying an older version of ADE, it won't work... it checks whether there's an updated version, and closes if you refuse to download it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shayguitarra View Post

But here is my question. Does anyone know how I would go about getting it to recognise my Sony Reader so I can transfer ebooks between them?
    The trick is apparently to use a Windows box ONCE in order to validate your reader with ADE. Here's what worked for me (with Windows... I'll get to what I was finally able to get working with Linux after).

1. Install Sony eBook Library on the Windows system (this is apparently necessary for the drivers).
    2. Install ADE and use the same email/password that you will use with your ebooks.
    3. ADE will ask you to validate the device. Do it. It really does ask you, and there's no way to get it to probe for the device explicitly, so try rebooting if it doesn't work. And this works with Windows 7, although both Adobe and Sony seemed to think their software wasn't Win 7-supported.

OK, so on to the Linux struggle... I still can't get ADE to open .acsm files, so I installed QEmu+KVM +WinXP, and got ADE and Sony Library working there, only I'd get the virtualized Blue Screen Of Death if I opened ADE (in KVM) with the reader activated (in KVM, with the -usbdevice flag). Not a problem with Sony Library, just ADE. So instead I run KVM with a samba connection to a Linux folder, validate ebooks with ADE (in KVM), then move them to the Linux folder, then transfer them to my reader with Calbre. Phew! In point form:

1. Open the .acsm with ADE in a virtual Windows environment.
    2. Copy the DRM-ified epub from the "My Digital Editions" folder in virtual Win to a shared Linux folder.
    3. Use Calibre in native Linux to transfer the epub to your Reader.

This will only work if you are able to activate your reader with ADE first! Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowgoblin View Post
    The trick is apparently to use a Windows box ONCE in order to validate your reader with ADE. Here's what worked for me ...
    Thanks for the workaround! I might give this a go. Hopefully Adobe makes this easier in the future.

/Kevin

Beans

I've successfully installed ADE 1.7.2 with Wine on Ubuntu 10.4. Just D'n'drop the downloaded URLLink.acsm on ADE-Windows. Works without any Problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

1.7.2 works for me on 64bit 9.04 too.

I'm also able to transfer files to my Astak EZReader. You just have to mount it before starting ADE. ADE detected it and authorised it, no problem. It took a little while and the dialogue box went blank, but it did work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just successfully installed and authorized ADE 1.7.2 under WINE, but the drag-and-drop feature doesn't do anything at all. I have an ACSM file that I got from my local library, and dropping that on ADE does nothing. Am I doing this wrong?

Cheers,
    stevo

P.S. When I start up ADE, it says "Could not find Digital Editions folder." There is such a folder, and it was created by the installer. Why do people make programs that don't let you browse for "missing" folders?
    Last edited by stevo1977; June 28th, 2010 at 06:29 AM.
    Kernel Linux 3.2.0-23-generic, MEMORY: 4Gb, PROCESSOR: AMD Athlon II X4 Quad Core Processor,
    VIDEO: GeForce 8600GT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Installing Adobe Digital Editions using Wine

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1977 View Post
    I just successfully installed and authorized ADE 1.7.2 under Wine, but the drag-and-drop feature doesn't do anything at all. I have an ACSM file that I got from my local library, and dropping that on ADE does nothing. Am I doing this wrong?

Cheers,
    stevo

P.S. When I start up ADE, it says "Could not find Digital Editions folder." There is such a folder, and it was created by the installer. Why do people make programs that don't let you browse for "missing" folders?
    which version of Wine are you using? wine-1.2-rc5 is the most recent.

to find out, open a terminal and type:
    wine --version

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast