Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Show off your Desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Show off your Desktop

simple and clean. Modded Nautilus 3 with highly customized metacity, GTK3 and icon themes. Sticking pretty closely to the glory that was Nautilus Elementary circa 2011 as Gnome 2.3 was breathing it's dying breath and the catastrophe that was Unity was unleashed upon the Ubuntu desktop.

As a side note, am I the ONLY person that thinks Faenza icons are the dumbest, UGLIEST thing to happen to Linux since the Crystal icon set for KDE3?

What is up with the stupid box shaped icons? The ONLY thing Faenza got right was the monochromatic icons
    Last edited by N00b-un-2; January 31st, 2013 at 04:41 AM.

Beans

Unity with the square side dock Icons is Ugly.. I like what you got there that info on the side look is cool looks like some kind of system info not sure how that works N00b-un-2 but really cool looking!!
    I don't miss that top bar I love Ubuntu with Gnome and Cairo that doc is sweet it can control everything on 12.04 if it can't control it You can make a custom launcher with custom Icon that can... If Ubuntu wants to pull old windows users over they need to make a dock like that and concentrate on a clean looking easy to use desktop..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rockinrandel View Post
    Unity with the square side dock Icons is Ugly.. I like what you got there that info on the side look is cool looks like some kind of system info not sure how that works N00b-un-2 but really cool looking!!
    Are you for serious? It's conky! How is it that there is anyone using Linux that doesn't know what conky is?

here is where it all started for me with conky:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ght=show+conky
    and of course here:
    http://conky.sourceforge.net/config_settings.html

Conky is an amazing, lightweight text based system monitor that is configured using a simple markup language somewhat similar to HTML. It will dang near make you breakfast if you tell it to. It is extensible using anything from simple bash scripts, to scripting languages like python, ruby, perl, up to high level languages like Java and C++
    Although it is primarily text based, Conky gained graphic support several years ago.

You can think of Conky as the Linux equivalent of Rainmeter on Windows, only far more flexible and powerful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Dull and boring but, suits my work flow perfectly.

Linux Mint 13 (MATE DE)
    Greybird window theme
    Faenza Icons (I think they're beautiful )
    Comix Cursor set
    Modified Glass clock screenlet
    Modified Clear Weather screenlet
    Clear Calendar screenlet with (No Back theme)
    Modified Watermark screenlets

I would love to be using Conky if I could get it to do/look the same as my screenlets.

Beans
    Hidden!

Fun to build and use:

Xfce 4.8 on Debian Wheezy 7.0 (gnome 3.4.2 installed as well, hybridised DE). Using the Debian Squeeze net-installer as a base CLI only install, then updating to Wheezy and installing the DEs.
    Style: MurrinaCrystalHuman
    Icons: Dropline Neu!
    Nautilus controls desktop. Compiz acts as the WM. Xfce4-panel (heavily customized set up ) and system daemons used with gnome services on etc.
    Screenlets: 3 instances of the "Output" screenlet, make up the display on the screen right hand side.
    Wallpaper: dragon.jpg
    Tux's image is on both the, otherwise transparent, cube caps. Yosemite National park picture makes up the skydome background.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Oh, good grief! I hadn't even noticed that this was in the Irish LoCo. I just saw "show us your desktop."

Oh, well. At least Mint is from there!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Same here, Guilty as charged.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
    Oh, good grief! I hadn't even noticed that this was in the Irish LoCo. I just saw "show us your desktop."

Oh, well. At least Mint is from there!

Nothing wrong with flashing your desktop here

Though if Mint was from Ireland we would have called it Shamrock
    Currently running LXQt on;
    - Packard-Bell Imedia S1800 PC [2010, Dual Core Pentium E5800, Nvidia GeForce GT 620, RAM 4GB]
    - Dell Inspiron 15 3521 [2013, Dual Core Intel i3-3217U, RAM 8GB]

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

My desktop is pretty bland compared to the latest uploads! Only real tweak is the top panel transparency
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Currently running LXQt on;
    - Packard-Bell Imedia S1800 PC [2010, Dual Core Pentium E5800, Nvidia GeForce GT 620, RAM 4GB]
    - Dell Inspiron 15 3521 [2013, Dual Core Intel i3-3217U, RAM 8GB]

Beans

No sorry I don't know what conky is I just started using Ubuntu about 3 months ago.. I been using Windows for the past 18 years I like Ubuntu a lot but really don't like the desktop all that much so I did a lot of reading about tweaking things installing Gnome. using Cairo dock that kind of stuff changing things up a bit.. I'm not a pro on Linux by any means but not a novice computer user ether.. I was always good a tweaking windows, making windows Icon sets themes and things like that so I thought I’d try my hand at making something on Ubuntu .. Rainmeter oh Yah open source program it displays customizable skins, like memory and battery power, RSS feeds and weather forecasts mostly skins that are some what functional..
    record your notes and to-do lists, launch your applications, and control media player - pretty clean non obstructive interfaces . I'll have to do some reading about Conky and how to implement that into some kind of them i build It looks really cool.. Thanks for the info N00b-un-2 I’ll do some reading on it..

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast