Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DC, a dreamcast emulator for linux ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Cool Joypad

Sorry for bumping into an old thread, but can you play games using a joypad with it.

Beans

Re: Joypad

Quote Originally Posted by raj7095 View Post
    Sorry for bumping into an old thread, but can you play games using a joypad with it.
    You can do that with nulldc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Joypad

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone would help me out with something. I got lxdream, installed it fine and everything, but it does not run. I get the following errors in terminal:
    lxdream: could not connect to socket
    lxdream: No such file or directory
    05:00:19 00000000 WARN Could not initialize LIRC. LIRC hotkeys will be disabled.
    05:00:19 00000000 WARN Failed to load plugin: '/usr/lib/lxdream/input_lirc.so': Initialization failed
    05:00:19 00000000 ERROR Unable to load file '/home/dalton/.lxdream/dcboot.rom': No such file or directory
    05:00:19 00000000 WARN Unable to load file '/home/dalton/.lxdream/dcflash.rom': No such file or directory
    it opens the lxdream window, but says "Unable to create render buffers (requires either EXT_framebuffer_object or GLX 1.3+)" followed by "Video driver 'gtk' failed to initialize (could not connect to display?)". Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: DC, a dreamcast emulator for linux ?

The file "dcboot.rom" is the needed Dreamcast BIOS. It is needed to play games, however (insert legal mumbo jumbo here) you will have to search google for something like "dreamcast bios" and find it yourself. You may have to rename .BIN files to .ROM and place them in your '/home/USERNAME/.lxdream/' directory.

I did not see any video error messages, Soul Calibur ran but very slow.

BTW: Their website has a newer version then shown in this forum, with a DEB package to make things easy. http://www.lxdream.org/
    Last edited by NeoZiggy; November 11th, 2009 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Tested program and found some answers.

Is it ok to resurrect still relevant threads? I would love a dreamcast emulator.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Jinn View Post
    Is it ok to resurrect still relevant threads? I would love a dreamcast emulator.
    It's close call for necro lock - especially when you haven't added anything to the thread. But I'll let stay open for now.

Well I tried installing that deb and it said 'wrong format'. I wonder if I am missing some files or if its really just not compatible. Other people in 2008 seemed to have installed it at least.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Jinn View Post
    Well I tried installing that deb and it said 'wrong format'. I wonder if I am missing some files or if its really just not compatible. Other people in 2008 seemed to have installed it at least.
    I got that too because it was a 32 bit .deb and I run a 64 bit system. Just go to the link in the second post and on the left side of the page, click Downloads and download the correct .deb file. Now it installed correctly for me. I still have yet to actually try the emulator.

Does it play Soul Calibur?

Beans

I know this thread's a little old, but I was hoping for a little help with lxdream.

I have it installed and I can get it to run, but it's extremely sluggish. It only gets through the opening dreamcast logo and the time and date prompt, after that it won't load the game I'm trying to run. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the video settings, but for some reason I'm unable to access the the video or audio settings for the emulator. They're simply grayed out in the dropdown menu.

Anyone know how I can get into the settings? I'd at least like to see if it'll run a game decently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12