Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kurdish screen reader

Beans

eSpeak - Kurdish

I have now added a first attempt at a Kurdish voice to eSpeak, Try the development version (1.31.12 or later) from:
    http://espeak.sourceforge.net/test/latest.html

The name of the Kurdish voice is "ku".
    The compiled binaries should be compatible with Ubuntu Gutsy.

I don't speak or understand any Kurdish, so much is guesses based on a little which I have read. I based the vowel sounds on the samples at http://www.skolutveckling.se/vaxthus...rdkurdiska.htm

I don't know whether this represents a suitable accents or dialect. Some of the sounds there differ from their descriptions on wikipedia or omniglot.

I'm not sure whether the "q" sound is correct. We don't have this sound in English, so I'm not sure if sounds OK. I've used strong version of "x", but again if it sounds wrong, tell me.

It puts the stress on the last syllable of each word. I know this is wrong in some cases, but I don't know the rules. Perhaps some word endings should be unstressed?

Probably vowel lengths need adjustment.

I don't know the names of the letters (eg. in English "see" for "c" and "eff" for "f") so I've made guesses.

I've made an attempt at numbers, but the information I found was confusing, with alternative pronunciations for some numbers. So probably some are wrong.

The pronunciation rules are in file: dictsource/ku_rules.

The file dictsource/ku_list gives the names of letters, symbols and numbers, and will contain any words with exceptional pronunciations. Also it should list common "function" words with attributes such as:
    Code:
    $u     unstressed
    $u+   unstressed, except at end-of-sentence.
    $pause  add a short pause before the word (eg. conjunctions).
    $brk   add a shorter pause. (perhaps some prepositions).
    These can help the speech to flow better. Currently all words are stressed (except for a couple which I've already added to ku_list).

So, send me corrections, suggestions, and additions. If we can improve it so that's it's useable then it can be included in Ubuntu and other distributions.

Beans

Re: Kurdish screen reader

ASquared21 wrote:
    What needs to be done is writing an Applescript or Xcode wrapper to allow the popular Linux speech engine of eSpeak to work with Apple's Voiceover.
    It would be better to ask this on an Apple formum. This is a general question about eSpeak and Apple, and not specific to any particular language. Unfortunately I don't have an Apple computer and I don't know anything about them.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi,
    Thanks. I tried the appropiate mailing list for Apple accessibility and just thought i'd try here, since I believed that having a thourough understanding of eSpeak on another platform, would allow a programer to duplicate the feat on Apple's Macintosh platform.
    Thanks,
    Alex A.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,
    A large thanks to the Kurdish Ubuntu Team and Jonsd. I can't thank the contributers to the eSpeak Kurdish Version enough. I appreciate all work from the bottom of my heart.
    Thanks,
    Alex A.

Beans
    Distro

Get it here, Free.
    [url]Http://eSpeak.sourceforge.net/[/url

Thanks,
    Alex A.
    "Blindness is a gift, not a disability." Follow your dreams, and remember you are as everyone else.

Beans

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12