Thread: Virtual Box Questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Virtual Box Questions

I want to use Kubuntu at work. After doing some reading and asking, I think Virtualbox is the best solution for my needs.

I have the WinXP reinstall CD from Dell. I also have the Dell specific drivers, etc. reinstall CD. Because Virtualbox uses a virtualized environment, I shouldn't need the second CD, but I'm curious to know if the first reinstall CD will work with Virtualbox or if I need a "normal" Windows CD. I do have a evidently unused copy of Windows 2000 server I could install although I think I'd rather install XP Professional onto the virtual system.

If you have any experience using those pesky GHOST CD's in Virtualbox, I'd love to know what your experience has been.

--andy
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Virtual Box Questions

This thread has been moved to the Virtualisation section.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

It is my understanding that you need a "proper" Windows Installation CD to install/use Windows in Virtual Box; NOT a factory-restore CD.

I used the tutorial on this page to install/set up Windows in Virtual Box and it specifically states "no recovery CD's".

You might try asking on the Virtual Box Forums though for further assistance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You should bump against a plain old trademark copyrighted lovely blue screen.
    - On an Asus G74Sx (16G, 1T, 2630QM, GTX 560m etc etc.. )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well Hoot. I may not be able to go the virtualization route. I guess I'll just stick to dual booting for a while longer. Once OOo is able to open Office 2007 files, I should be able to abandon the evil world of Windows once and for all (at work).

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well if it helps I was able to install Vista with my factory restore CD. So far from what I've seen, Vista works fine (I'm using my virtualized XP more than Vista). Then again, it's Vista, and you're using XP. But it might be similar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's interesting akiratheoni. So you used the reinstall/rescue VISTA CD. Did you do anything less than obvious to get it tow work. What I have been told elsewhere is that this won't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Nope, I just popped in the Vista disc and installed it like normal. I didn't notice any difference when installing it. In fact I didn't notice I was using a factory rescue disc until I read this thread.