Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Fedora diary

Beans

Re: My Fedora diary

Quote Originally Posted by Zdravko View Post
    1. It uses a true GNOME, and not a modified one.
    2. It works.
    Most Linux distros work. Some just require some work to get there.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sure, you are also right

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Fedora repos are smaller than Ubuntu. SMPlayer and qtcurve engine are missing for example. I don't really like searching for packages or compiling outside the repos after I jumped from Fedora to Kubuntu 2.5 years ago. Of course you might not miss any specific packages.
    Kubuntu 14.04 LTS | AMD Athlon II X3 455 | 8 GB DDR3 | GF 750 GTX

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zdravko View Post
    1. It uses a true GNOME, and not a modified one.
    2. It works.
    That is extremely unfair.

I assume you mean that "It works for me."

If you find a bug in Ubuntu or any of its derivatives, please file a bug report at: http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PriceChild View Post
    That is extremely unfair.

I assume you mean that "It works for me."

If you find a bug in Ubuntu or any of its derivatives, please file a bug report at: http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu
    Good point PriceChild.

Look, I use Fedora because I like it best. I like Yum, I like the repository system, I like the fact that they try to stay more cutting edge and keep updating packages through out the release... and I really enjoy the community there. I don't currently have an Ubuntu install, although I do try most every release and test release they come out with. It just isn't for me.

However, I would never try to claim the Fedora or any other distro is "clearly superior" to Ubuntu. Nor if I were an Ubuntu user (or did I when I was an Ubuntu user) claim that Ubuntu was "clearly superior" to others. There simply is no right answer here. Ubuntu does great work for linux, as do Mandriva, Fedora, Suse and many others. All these distro's are excellent, and all cater to a slightly different user. That's why having so many is a wonderful thing.

@ the OP... I am glad you have found Fedora to your liking. I hope that a few rounds of major upgrades don't break your system and change your mind. I hope the lack of support for many proprietary bits doesn't bother you. And I hope that you will respect Ubuntu and other distributions for the excellent product they produce, and simply politely say "no thanks" rather than take parting shots. Because you represent the Fedora community when you advocate the distribution, and the Fedora community by and large has great respect for Ubuntu and other distributions, and we don't want people to get the wrong idea.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samwyse View Post
    Fedora repos are smaller than Ubuntu. SMPlayer and qtcurve engine are missing for example. I don't really like searching for packages or compiling outside the repos after I jumped from Fedora to Kubuntu 2.5 years ago. Of course you might not miss any specific packages.
    The repository size is partly due to a complete lack of any proprietary bits in the Fedora repo's. Those are left completely to 3rd party repo's like livna, freshrpms and others. It's a philosophical choice. The major repo's are fully trustworthy and maintained by Fedora devs, so they might as well be considered part of the repo system (at least as much as the non-free repo's in Ubuntu are).

Also, specific packages will always differ. qtcurve and smplayer are not in Fedora's repo, but AWN is not in Ubuntu's. I happen to use AWN and not either of those other packages. Sure you can add trevino's repo for AWN, but isn't that almost the same as getting qtcurve or smplayer yourself in Fedora? It's a give and take, both have their pluses and minuses. You like Ubuntu, great. It's an excellent distro. I happen to like Fedora, it has what I need. While your statement was correct about repo size, it is misleading... almost any package you want/need can be found for either distribution if you look around.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Hidden!

I miss the Ubuntu's community

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    You like Ubuntu, great. It's an excellent distro. I happen to like Fedora, it has what I need. While your statement was correct about repo size, it is misleading... almost any package you want/need can be found for either distribution if you look around.
    I tend to nitpick about stuff. The reason why I'm testing Fedora again is because I'm a bit bored with Kubuntu and I don't really care for Ubuntu's image and hype.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

So I replaced Kubuntu with Fedora (KDE). Downloading 195 updates currently. I couldn't log in using my old homedir (I did chown it). I decided to move the whole dir to another location and copy only some of the important stuff to the new home.

edit: I decided to reinstall Kubuntu.
    Last edited by samwyse; February 20th, 2008 at 02:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I installed Fedora 8 (64-bit) on my desktop PC a few days ago. At first sight, apart from the theme, there's only very little difference between Ubuntu 7.10 and Fedora 8. Some differences that I noted:

• Fedora 8 contains newer versions of the Linux kernel and of ALSA (the sound system).
    • The graphical boot screen looks very nice, and I like the blue theme of Fedora better than Ubuntu's brown theme.
    • It has PulseAudio (which is to be included in Ubuntu 8.04).
    • You don't use sudo for administrative tasks; instead, at installation you have to set a password for the root user, and you login as root to do administrative tasks.
    • Fedora is by default configured with LVM.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast