Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I wish people would mark their threads solved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I wish people would mark their threads solved

Hello.

Now, I would very much appreciate if people would follow up on threads they start, and mark their threads solved when they are. This way it would be so much easier to see at a glance what the status (and information content!) of a thread is.

This is all just more or less idle talk, but... how could we encourage people to do this more? A global persistent notice on the forum front page? (I'd support this, but some would probably say it's overkill.)

Opinions?

kko1

PS. IMO it's easiest to follow up your threads if you subscribe, but to each according to their liking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: I wish people would mark their threads solved

i like the global notice idea, nothing worse then reading a thread for pages and find it solved at the end.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Moved to Feedback & Help

The best thing would be a Flash popup of Clippy that reminds you to mark the thread as solved. (joking, in case it wasn't obvious)
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

On the theme of using the feature, there's another suggestion to improve the visibility of the Solved -feature here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...59#post4306459

And related discussion, on the topic of finding the Solved threads also here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...87#post4306387

Sorry for the "spam", but I thought bringing all three discussions together would be a useful way to approach the issue.

kko1

OT: p_quarles: Thanks for the move. So you're one of those Genesis guys - "the only thing about me is the way that I walk"?

nikoPSK is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

well, just tell them, and they should remeber. I didn't know at the beginning.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Gentle reminders should get the practice more widespread.

On that basis, is this thread now 'solved'? In which, may I politely request you edit the subject as such?

Mathew
    www.NewtonNet.co.uk - Now supporting IPv6!

~ Please don't use PM's to request assistance - post your query on the forum and share the discussion - if you've got a problem chances are you won't be the only one! ~

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Gentle reminders should get the practice more widespread.

On that basis, is this thread now 'solved'? In which, may I politely request you edit the subject as such?
    I wouldn't consider this 'solved' at all at this point. (I wonder what gave you that idea.) I think discussion on this topic has barely started, and it would be pretty premature to call an end to it.

As to the "gentle reminders" - I just don't think that's quite enough. That is why I was advocating for something more effective (more visible) and, indeed, perhaps also not quite so gentle.

kko1

OT: p_quarles: On second thought I'm not sure whether I actually should've thanked you for the move to Forum Feedback. I was at first aiming for more free-spirited discussion, which is why I initially posted in the cafe. Perhaps some concrete suggestions would have emerged from there, and been brought to Forum Feedback later for refinement / implementation. But we'll go with what we have here.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by kko1 View Post
    I wouldn't consider this 'solved' at all at this point. (I wonder what gave you that idea.)
    Lighten up - it was a joke!

As to the "gentle reminders" - I just don't think that's quite enough.
    I disagree. Common behaviour breeds itself.

That is why I was advocating for something more effective (more visible) and, indeed, perhaps also not quite so gentle.
    This really bothers you doesn't it?

Mathew
    www.NewtonNet.co.uk - Now supporting IPv6!

~ Please don't use PM's to request assistance - post your query on the forum and share the discussion - if you've got a problem chances are you won't be the only one! ~

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

As to the "gentle reminders" - I just don't think that's quite enough.
    I disagree. Common behaviour breeds itself.
    I agree. Common behaviour breeds itself, even if it's a sensible behaviour. (There's a BUT coming, and here it is...) BUT I would not agree that marking solved threads as such actually is common behaviour - yet. Hence the question / suggestion, i.e. how can we encourage this enough for it to become a common behaviour?

(Also, how can the "best practice" be introduced to new forum members, so that it becomes and remains common behaviour also among them?)

That is why I was advocating for something more effective (more visible) and, indeed, perhaps also not quite so gentle.
    This really bothers you doesn't it?
    It does. How could you tell?

kko1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by kko1 View Post
    how can we encourage this enough for it to become a common behaviour?
    Maybe some kind of pop-up, as already mentioned. (say, on the next time the OP posts--something to the effect "Did the previous response answer your question? If yes, mark 'solved'"). And/or a sticky in each of the sub-forums would help too. Or maybe a sticky asking people to revisit threads they've started and mark them as solved. Once the number of thread titles marked '[Solved]' passes a certain percentage then people will get the message.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast