Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New RPG - The Age of Decadence

Beans

Exclamation Re: New RPG - The Age of Decadence

Much time have passed, so here some news :

Community

There is a new facebook group that I've made, so join up !
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...3339550&ref=ts

There is also a Twitter channel : http://twitter.com/IronTowerStudio

And a brand new IRC channel at the freenodes.net server names IronTower.
    To join just type : /j #irontower when you connected to the freenodes server (default at Pidgin).

Forums and content

If you still haven't joined the forums you are missing a lot, so come and join us here : http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php

There is the famous "Let's play AoD!" thread that every RPG developer should read : http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum...hp?topic=149.0

There is the new "Choices & consequences" thread which gives you a deeper insight of the game : http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum...26827#msg26827

There is also the brand new art edition - portraits ! : http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum...hp?topic=924.0
    They look very professional.

The FAQ is updated regularly : http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum...hp?topic=124.0

So is the gallery : http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum...hp?topic=341.0

A Combat Demo will hopefully be out in a few months.
    So stay tuned !

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: New RPG - The Age of Decadence

Looks great. I'll be looking for it's release

Beans

The game has been in development forever. It already went through at least one major overhaul, and their philosophy seems to be one of "if something better comes around we will start from point one and work from there" which is good to keep gamers interested through the delays but not that great if you want to finish a game (watch out because they just got a new portrait artist ). The combat demo was supposed to be out a few months back.
    The game is basically Fallout, which is a good thing. Focus, according to the developers, is around the fabled C&C (choices and consequences) and single character development.
    As far as crossplatform support, a Linux client is promised. However, latter I read (and I quote): "Attempts to make Mac and Linux versions are definitely planned."
    That there does not inspire complete confidence in me. Given the delays and "excuses" constantly thrown out, them finalizing the game and saying that they lack the resources for additional ports wouldn't surprise me. The engine for the game is crossplatform, so I still have hopes.
    Still, it's shaping up to be a good game. Vince gets some flak over at The Codex for the game not being done, but if promises are kept this will be one of the best RPGs to come out in a long time.
    Hardware:
    Processor: AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core @ 3.04GHz, Motherboard: LP DK 790FX-M2RS, Chipset: ATI RD790 + SB600, System Memory: 3960MB, Disk: 640GB WDC WD6401AALS-0, Graphics: HD4850 @ 750/1100, Screen Resolution: 1680x1050

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looking forward to it. I'll check back

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Dweller
    You recall wrong. The Linux/Mac versions were never promised and our position didn't change: we will try to port the game to Linux/Mac since Torque is supposed to be Linux/Mac friendly, but we won't waste a lot of time on it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, too bad.
    The Codex

Just a friendly update on the game. I somehow knew the devs were going to reverse their position. A port *was* indeed promised and I remember even asking Vince about it, and at first he told me that "there will be one" and then "efforts can be made towards one". Granted, I admit that I have not been following development since day one, so maybe Vince simply "promised" a port to me and he was being his marketing wizard self again. Still, I never had high hopes.
    Since the engine is Linux friendly, maybe once the game comes out (on Thursday ) some effort can be made. The devs. won't do it (they will "try") and the game won't be open source (I don't think so), so I guess it will either have to be a third party effort or someone proficient in Linux/Mac tries to get in the development team.
    By the way, There is now a short combat video and a readme for the combat demo. The demo itself *should* be out in three weeks or so if their beta-testing works out.
    Last edited by Melcar; September 17th, 2009 at 05:13 PM.
    Hardware:
    Processor: AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core @ 3.04GHz, Motherboard: LP DK 790FX-M2RS, Chipset: ATI RD790 + SB600, System Memory: 3960MB, Disk: 640GB WDC WD6401AALS-0, Graphics: HD4850 @ 750/1100, Screen Resolution: 1680x1050

Beans

Thanks for the update - I don't really read The Codex.
    But I still firmly believe that a Linux version will be made, it will be a HUGE mistake by them if they miss it - specially since he knows how many Linux users are reading his ITS forums.
    Other developer said that he knows someone who could port the game to Linux ..

IF all fails, I will have no other choice then to go to Canada and kill Vince

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MaximB View Post
    IF all fails, I will have no other choice then to go to Canada and kill Vince
    Or Port it yourself

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If it works, great. If it doesn't, too bad.
    I don't like the sounds of that, sounds like they'll be more than happy with only Windows revenue, but will take Mac and Linux if it's easy...
    By the people, for the people.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looks like a Diablo/Diablo two clone. I hardly consider this much of a RPG, it couldn't even hold ground to Bethesda's Elderscrolls 3: Morrowind, let alone the lastest Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion, but seeing as Linux can use all the decent games it can get, more power to them.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans

It's definitely not a Diablo clone. If you read through their forums you will see that it's more of a Fallout clone than anything else, and Fallout is far from Diablo. For one, the thing is turn based, unlike the brain dead click fest that is Diablo.
    Another thing, how can you not call it an RPG? Certainly Fallout was a RPG no? And a much better RPG than all the crap that Beth and Bio is churning out these days. The game focuses on character development, world interaction, and story. If that's not an RPG I don't know what is.
    I admit that the combat system will turn off a lot of the new gen players out there, but these guys are making the game for a specific audience.
    Last edited by Melcar; September 21st, 2009 at 11:19 PM.
    Hardware:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast