Thread: What are your Skills and Interests?

Beans

What are your Skills and Interests?

Hello all, we're trying to get a better idea of what our members (and those interested in becoming members) are interested in and what their skill sets are. Please, take a moment to list:

• Where your Ubuntu/Linux/computer interest and experience lie
    • What you'd like to get out of the LoCo
    • What skills you have that you feel might help the cause of the LoCo

For myself:
    I've always been interested in the open source philosophy and advocating for open source and open standards. For computers, I've always been a go to guy for technical issues and tinker with them pretty often. I've never contributed to open source development but it's something that I'd like to get into.

I'd like to help make the group a better resource for people interested in learning and/or migrating to open source or open standards, and to spread adoption.

I'm a web developer that works mostly in PHP/MySQL. I may be able to help with some of the web stuff, and also may be able to help write some literature advocating OSS.
    Last edited by kepardue; February 8th, 2008 at 03:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: What are your Skills and Interests?

I have been advocating the use and usefullness of Ubuntu since I have been using it, I have not really contributed to the project in any other way, I have helped out in #ubuntu and on the forums where my knowledge lets me.

I love the connection, and social aspect the LoCo provides, and would love to help both this LoCo and the OK LoCo spread Ubuntu, have fun with Ubuntu, and support it locally.

I have no coding skills, but learn what I can to help. I have learned a lot about MoinMoin for the wiki, and have just started to wet my feet in some programming, but not enough to do anything constructive.

Beans

Am a fairly skilled LISP and C programmer, I tend to try helping new users get accustomed to Linux, focusing more on the causal user, but also take part in various projects to help students find what tools there are on Linux as well as helping young programmers get their feet wet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm a big proponent of open source and open standards. I've been using Ubuntu exclusively (at home) for more than a year now. My goal is increased adoption of Ubuntu and open source software in the community.

I have a pretty wide range of experience. I do database design, networking, general tech support, a little bit of programming and other things I can't recall at the moment. I also am pretty good at writing. I can help out with marketing, contacting people, updating the wiki.

At the moment my interests are leaning toward using Ubuntu as a server in various capacities.

Me to o. Open sourse is everything for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I am a retired computer consultant (unfortunately on Microsoft products) and VB programmer that got into Linux, C++ and Ubuntu around the time v8 ended and v9 was in beta. I dual boot Windows and Ubuntu on my Dell 3000 system so that I can develop cross-platform applications.

I have a couple Open Source projects on sourceforge.net one of which is used all over the world and has been recognized a couple times.

I am currently part of a development team attempting to develop a cross-platform Open Source ham radio project using C++ and Nokia Qt SDK.

I am also the Louisiana Section ARRL WebMaster. The site www.laarrl.org is completely maintained and designed on Ubuntu with Linux tools (Quanta+, Inkscape, gimp, etc.).