Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Useful Tips for iPhone (and iTouch) Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Useful Tips for iPhone (and iTouch) Users

Hey everyone. I'm supposing that you're reading this because you either own an iPhone or iPod Touch, or plan to buy one or something related to an iPhone or iTouch... This is based on my own personal experience and I'd like to share these tips with you.

Battery Drain when syncing
    The iPhone and iTouch use a lot of battery life when syncing over SSH since the screen needs to be left on or otherwise the wifi connection will be lost. This is a problem for many, and this is why there is an app on Cydia called Insomnia.

Insomnia, allows to lock the screen and shut the screen down while still using the wifi. This saves up a lot of battery when syncing. I recommend it a lot because it works and I use it on my 3G.

Converting video:
    Sometimes it gets annoying to transfer video from ubuntu to the iPhone or iTouch, it's even more annoying trying to convert it (specially if it was downloaded from youtube).

Install these packages through synaptic:
    • ffmpeg
    • libavcodec-unstripped-52

These will save you a lot of google time, then to convert simply open up a terminal and cd to your video directory and type
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i name-of-your-file.flv name-of-your-new-file.mp4
    The resulting mp4 file can be transfered via GTKPOD to your device.

Transfering music and video:
    I personally use GTKPOD, it's the best application so far and I even have ALL (yes, all) of my album covers fully working on my 3G. I had to add some of the covers manually since I didn't have the meta-data written on them, this is why it's so convenient. It allows you to batch edit full albums.

Go to synaptic and get the package gtkpod-aac. This will allow you to transfer videos through GTKPOD since it's the same gtkpod package with mp4 and aac transfer capabilites, reason why it's more convenient than the normal gtkpod package.

Managing your music:
    My two favorite programs are Songbird and Banshee. Both for their user interface and for their ability to get album art. Each album I download through songbird gets its album art fetched automatically and I don't need to edit it later (the meta-data) on GTKPOD. I think that it was unnecessary to add this last part, but I still did

For Songbird Users:
    Songbird remote is a great application, it allows you to control Songbrid through your iPhone or iTouch. I personally use it, So if you can, give it a try. NOTE THAT it only controls songbird, it doesn't allow you to sync your music to the iPhone or iTouch.

Ubuntu Look and Feel
    The repos of BigBoss and ModMyi have nice ubuntu themes (for winterboard), check them out.
    Also, be sure to check out fontswap, ubuntu categories and ubuntu titling font, all of these available on cydia on the BigBoss and ModMyi repos. They will make your phone look and feel a lot like ubuntu.

Jamendo is always Good:
    I actually have 2 full albums downloaded from Jamendo on my 3G and other songs, so it's a nice way to discover music. Try it, you'll find yourself buying less music on iTunes and supporting more independent artists.

when wall charging:
    remember that your device actually heats up while wall charging, and even more when the screen is on and the wifi (many people do this to sync), so don't leave your iPhone connected to the wall for more than the necessary time, and if you're syncing wirelessly, install insomnia through cydia, this reduces A LOT the temperature when syncing over SSH and wall charging.

Happy syncing =)
    Last edited by xrecar; May 14th, 2009 at 05:11 AM. Reason: revision
    Karmic | Compaq Presario CQ50 Notebook | AMD Turion X2 64 | 3GB RAM | nVidia Graphics
    "I owe a lot of my success to the Internet"
    -Armin Van Buuren

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Useful Tips for iPhone (and iTouch) Users

Nice set of tips; approved and thank you for your contribution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for the tips, i knew some, but i didn't knew that now the sync with songbird can be done perfectly (as you seem to say) without itunes. I guess i'll give it a try, the only thing that bothers me is the ssh sync... is soooo slow, and my ipod touch 2G data is over 21 GBs last time i checked.

I read somewhere now its possible to use itunes under virtualbox and get it sync via USB perfectly, have you ever tried this? What are your thoughs about it?
    - In a world without walls and fences... who needs Windows and Gates? -
    - In the box it said "Require Windows VISTA or better... so I installed Linux -
    - Software is like sex... it's better when it's free -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

@jacobmp92 Thanks a lot =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuki_NdranC View Post
    Thanks for the tips, i knew some, but i didn't knew that now the sync with songbird can be done perfectly (as you seem to say) without itunes. I guess i'll give it a try, the only thing that bothers me is the ssh sync... is soooo slow, and my ipod touch 2G data is over 21 GBs last time i checked.
    You're welcome.
    No, the sync can't be done yet in songbird, not with the iPhone or iTouch, or at least not over SSH. I do, however, manage my music collection with songbird since it writes the meta-data on the songs (including album art) and this way I don't have to manually edit later over GTKPOD. GTKPOD is the best app so far to manage the iPhone and iTouch in my opinion.

On the other hand, there is a team already working on syncing the iPhone and iTouch with libiphone and ifuse, a driver being developed to sync without SSH and over the cable, which will probably allow syncing via cable with other programs such as songbird, rhythmbox and banshee. In the current state it supports syncing of your data.

I read somewhere now its possible to use itunes under virtualbox and get it sync via USB perfectly, have you ever tried this? What are your thoughs about it?
    Yes, it is possible and I've read about many users doing this, however, I haven't tried it. If you ever try it, I'd like the feedback.

One more thing: I like your forum signature.
    Last edited by xrecar; May 14th, 2009 at 05:13 AM.
    Karmic | Compaq Presario CQ50 Notebook | AMD Turion X2 64 | 3GB RAM | nVidia Graphics
    -Armin Van Buuren

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by xrecar
    You're welcome.
    No, the sync can't be done yet in songbird, not with the iPhone or iTouch, or at least not over SSH. I do, however, manage my music collection with songbird since it writes the meta-data on the songs (including album art) and this way I don't have to manually edit later over GTKPOD. GTKPOD is the best app so far to manage the iPhone and iTouch in my opinion.
    Oh then i totally misread what you said. You use songbird as a music database-like manager and use GTKPOD for the actual syncing? I'm sorry if i seem a little bit off, but i just got my ipod touch 2g and a new laptop (installing ubuntu jaunty right now) and so far i just know the theoretical part of my soon to be itouch under linux experience.

I must ask though... I'm a neat freak with a big OCD when it comes to have all my music and videos organized with all sort of meta-tags and album arts etc. Is songbird gonna be able to deliver in the same (or better) way that itunes does? and if so, will GTKPOD allow me to sync that to my itouch in the exact same way it is set in songbird?

On the other hand, there is a team already working on syncing the iPhone and iTouch with libiphone and ifuse, a driver being developed to sync without SSH and over the cable, which will probably allow syncing via cable with other programs such as songbird, rhythmbox and banshee. In the current state it supports syncing of your data.
    That would make my year.

Yes, it is possible and I've read about many users doing this, however, I haven't tried it. If you ever try it, I'd like the feedback.
    I'm going to do just that plus GTKPOD/songbird combo and see the whole pros/cons chart, probably is gonna take me a week (on finals right now) but i will. Expect my reply.

One more thing: I like your forum signature.
    This old thing? I had a bunch of them written down somewhere, but i lost it, don't mean to sound like such a fanboy, but it's my little way to blow off some steam after a day with vista.
    Last edited by Ryuki_NdranC; May 14th, 2009 at 06:42 AM.
    - In a world without walls and fences... who needs Windows and Gates? -
    - In the box it said "Require Windows VISTA or better... so I installed Linux -
    - Software is like sex... it's better when it's free -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

thank you so much for this!! now i dont need windows at all anymore!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hello,

For the record I was able to Sync without errors using Itunes via Winxp running on my VirtualBox 2.2.2.
    Also I was able to flash the Rom and update the Software, however Quickpwn did not function, when checking the readme file it stated having issue with virtual environments.

So yes you can sync via virtualBox and can upgrade your software, but no jailbreaking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Oh then i totally misread what you said. You use songbird as a music database-like manager and use GTKPOD for the actual syncing?
    Excatly

I'm sorry if i seem a little bit off, but i just got my ipod touch 2g and a new laptop (installing ubuntu jaunty right now) and so far i just know the theoretical part of my soon to be itouch under linux experience.
    Oh, excellent. Jaunty is Great!

I must ask though... I'm a neat freak with a big OCD when it comes to have all my music and videos organized with all sort of meta-tags and album arts etc. Is songbird gonna be able to deliver in the same (or better) way that itunes does? and if so, will GTKPOD allow me to sync that to my itouch in the exact same way it is set in songbird?
    Yes, as far as I know, songbird fetches album data from various sources, which means that if it can't find it on last.fm, for example, it will search another source. And if it doesn't find the info, It allows you to manually edit it.

And yes, GTKPOD does allow you to sync it in the exact way, and, if for any reason anything goes wrong, you can manually edit it later, and batch-edit a full album too.

Quote Originally Posted by lost_soul View Post
    Hello,
    So yes you can sync via virtualBox and can upgrade your software, but no jailbreaking.
    Oh, thanks for the 411
    Last edited by xrecar; May 14th, 2009 at 01:40 PM.
    -Armin Van Buuren

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

That would make my year.
    This will be even easier to do with the 3.0 software, because the new API's allow music library access, and allow dock connector access, so all one would need to do is create an app that would talk to songbird/rhythmbox/banshee. That wouldn't even require jailbreaking.

Beans

Plenty of useful tips in there as promised. I was thinking about buying an iPhone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast