Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Printer Support on Virtual Windows with VirtualBox OSE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Printer Support on Virtual Windows with VirtualBox OSE

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    In the VM where there a menu for Devices, do you see an USBs listed?
    Negative. Do I need to install another package to make that work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I got it working! Apparently there's two versions of VirtualBox, one with USB support and one without.

Now that I've got the printer working with the windows side, is there a way for native linux apps to access the printer through the virtual machine? How?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Would you tell us which of the VBoxes have USB support and which don't?

I'm sure there is a way to hav Ubuntu use the printer that is setup in Windows but I've never done it, even tried to do it.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,16G RAM | Dell Laptop 11.6" N3050.
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win8 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    Would you tell us which of the VBoxes have USB support and which don't?

I'm sure there is a way to hav Ubuntu use the printer that is setup in Windows but I've never done it, even tried to do it.
    The closed binary package has USB support, whilst the open package has USB support removed.

Here's chapter and verse culled from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox

There are two versions of the VirtualBox software. The full VirtualBox package comes under a proprietary license which allows using the software free-of-charge for personal and educational use and evaluation of the product.[10] Licenses for commercial use of the full VirtualBox package can be purchased from innotek.
    A second version called the VirtualBox Open Source Edition (OSE) was released under the GPL, from which the following features are missing:[11]

• The built-in Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) server.
    • USB support (see above) and the combination of running the RDP server with support of remote USB devices.
    • The iSCSI support for virtual hard disks (see above).
    If you wish to download the closed version you can get it from here (the open source version is at the bottom of the page)

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
    I find that randomly pressing keys often solves as many problems as it creates.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the info... I used the closed version in parallel with vmware server for a number of weeks and decided to go with vmware, for its speed, features, maturity. All free... what a blessing.
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,16G RAM | Dell Laptop 11.6" N3050.

Beans
    Distro

Does VMWare Workstation have USB sharing? It's one feature that I find indispensible, mainly due to the fact that the Epson printer I have works very well under Windows and very oddly under Linux.

Beans
    Distro

VMware Server sure has USB support. I use two printers, one is a Canon i9100, the other an Epson R220. and a scanner, all USBs. They work great under WinXP virtual.

I'm sure Workstation supports USB sharing.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the information.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

So is there a way to share my printer from the virtual machine back to the host?

Or should I be switching to another virtual machine software program for that?

I have an Epson photo R320. Works great under Windows, but prints 50+ pages of garbage when you try to use it with Kubuntu.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12