Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: foobar2000 tips & tricks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

foobar2000 tips & tricks

Since I didn't find much on running foobar2000 under wine, I thought I'd share some ideas (in the selfish hope of having others share their experiences too What versions have what problems, how best to avoid skipping and glitches, etc.?

This is a wine forum, so please no "why don't you just use [insert Gnome native player of choice] instead?" posts, please. Shoo, go away.

Enough said. Here's the fruit of my efforts:

Global hotkey functionality
    To achieve the equivalent of the media global shortcuts in GNOME (play, pause, stop, next etc.) you can use the fact that the foobar executable accepts parameters (and that Wine will pass them along). With foobar running and playing, try opening a terminal and enter:
    Code:
    wine [foobar2000 path]/foobar2000.exe /next
    and foobar should skip to the next song in the playlist.
    This can be systematised by adding such commands to your window manager's custom commands list and assigning it a hotkey combination.
    Here's a few more selfexplanatory commands that should work:
    Code:
    wine [foobar2000 path]/foobar2000.exe /play
    wine [foobar2000 path]/foobar2000.exe /pause
    wine [foobar2000 path]/foobar2000.exe /stop
    wine [foobar2000 path]/foobar2000.exe /next
    wine [foobar2000 path]/foobar2000.exe /prev
    wine [foobar2000 path]/foobar2000.exe /show
    wine [foobar2000 path]/foobar2000.exe /hide
    Version 9.5
    'Minimize to tray icon' results in an empty outline when you focus the window. Use 'Always show notification area icon' instead.

The 9.5 version has an integrated album list (as opposed to a separate freefloating window) which tends to work better with regards to switching focus. On the downside is that adding files to the playlist by means of double-clicking or pressing Enter doesn't seem to work - you have to right-click and choose 'send to playlist'.

When switching workspaces and foobar2000 is not maximised, it will shrink to a small cramped window size. Either keep it maunally maximised or use Devil's pie.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: foobar2000 tips & tricks

This thread is a really great idea. I hope some people can contribute, I've just installed foobar myself (gotta have that gapless playback).
    Last edited by portach king; February 10th, 2008 at 05:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have a look here. There's loads of info and a very good guide to installing foobar2000 on the linux platform.
    Linux #416781 - Ubuntu #9075
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ―George Bernard Shaw

Beans

I can never map my keys to it, but foo_joystick works fine in wine.

Beans

Does anyone know how to use the number pad for global shortcuts? <Control>5 doesn't seem to do it, with or without Number Lock.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Does anyone know how to use the number pad for global shortcuts? <Control>5 doesn't seem to do it, with or without Number Lock.
    If you're using compiz this is pretty easy to do. Open the settings manager (if you don't have it, sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager) and go to General Options. Click on the commands tab, set your command under commands and choose the appropriate key binding. Enable it and then have it grab your key combination.

If you don't feel like doing that and prefer to use gconf-editor, without numlock on the keys are:
    Directions - KB_Left, KB_Up, etc.
    5 - KB_Begin
    0,1,3,7,9,. - KB_Insert, KB_End, etc.
    Enter,+,-,*,/ - KB_Enter, KB_Add, etc.

With numlock on, it's just KB_#.

One thing I'd like to add is that the component foo_runcmd.dll is very useful. You're not simply limited to the standard playback commands, but you can do anything you'd normally be able to do with a shortcut in windows.

For example, I have:
    Code:
    wine ~/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe /runcmd="Playback/Stop After Current"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sorry for the double post, but I was adding files to Foobar (didn't feel like building a database yet) and I missed the enqueue context menu in windows, so I made up this script:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # Enqueue in Foobar
    wine ~/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe /add "$@"
    Replace ~/.foobar2000/ with the location of your foobar2000 executable.

Stick her in ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/ and make it executable. Now whenever you right click on a file and select that script in the right click menu, it'll add it to the current playlist. I'm sure more advanced commands could be done (send to specific playlist etc.), but it was enough for my purposes.
    Last edited by quazi; August 7th, 2008 at 05:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Since I didn't like foobar opening every time i pressed one of my multimediakeys, (like while watching a video,) I decided to write a script that started and stopped running with foobar2000. I've based it upon a script for amarok http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=60910. Anyway any time you run foobar2000 you can now also start this script, It detects start/pause, pause, stop, next and previous. If you've already made a shell script to start foobar2000 you could simply change the line "wine <path to foobar>" to "wine <path to foobar> & <path to foobar-gnome.py>

included with this post is the script.
    Hope someone else finds this useful. NESFreak
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by NESFreak; August 31st, 2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: typo in the script

Beans

Hey folks. After using the default IU with wine for a while and finally running across instructions to get art to display in a non-hideous way, I'm finally trying to reconstruct my old columns UI setup. It's mostly working out, other than some things like 16x16 buttons not working and whatnot. But I no longer have "send items to playlist" in the right-click context menu from the columns playlist view. I probably just forgot to install a component, but I can't figure out which one. Anybody know what the problem is, or an alternate way to send individual tracks from one playlist to another?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by rotwang888 View Post
    Hey folks. After using the default IU with wine for a while and finally running across instructions to get art to display in a non-hideous way, I'm finally trying to reconstruct my old columns UI setup. It's mostly working out, other than some things like 16x16 buttons not working and whatnot. But I no longer have "send items to playlist" in the right-click context menu from the columns playlist view. I probably just forgot to install a component, but I can't figure out which one. Anybody know what the problem is, or an alternate way to send individual tracks from one playlist to another?
    drag n drop?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast