Page 866 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 366766816856864865866867868876916966 ... LastLast
Results 8,651 to 8,660 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Good to hear of another (almost) total Linux convert.

Most hardware problems arise from very new equipment that the developers haven't had time to write drivers for yet.

Beans

As my sound card drivers are working on ubuntu beta I want to move to linux but before I would like some advice on which one is better to use and faster
    Linuxmint or ubuntu. I had tried both of them and linuxmint doesn't have drivers yet for my sound card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Technically I've not switched completely to Ubuntu, as I installed it on one partition and left Windows on the other. After Windows overwrote Grub files so that I couldn't access the menu, I've stuck with Ubuntu since I got the menu back. I don't want to risk that happening again, and the few times I've needed Windows aren't worth it.

So, technically no. In practice, yes!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GuiGuy View Post
    Over the last week I have moved all my ubuntu OS pcs to Mint.

All of a sudden so many things that have annoyed & frustrated me are working!? USB transfer speeds, fixed. Running multiple tasks at once, fixed. Quick boot, fixed. Unity, gone. Cinnamon, great.

What I don't understand is if Mint is derived from Ubuntu, why does it work so much better?

Anyway, I can now see myself in switching off Windows on all but one PC I need for Windows development work.

Cheers
    I've considered Mint myself. I think only three things are holding me back.
    1. Ubuntu still ships on CD, not DVD (I hear main Ubuntu is going to DVD, but not the derivatives I use)--yes this is a tiny inconsequential item, but I'm still kind of in love with the CD installer, as something to show how much more lightweight Linux is than Windows.
    2. I have a silly preference for sticking with a type of *buntu that still has the name (it's especially silly since I don't use mainstream Ubuntu, but its derivatives).
    3. The only important reason: Xubuntu and Lubuntu do everything I need, so there's no pressing reason for me to switch.

Beans

I've dual booted Ubuntu once before, then I got rid of it for some stupid reason. Yesterday I tried to setup multiple partitions but after installing Ubuntu, Windows 7 went into a 'bootloop'. So I just installed Ubuntu over Windows.

Smartest.Move.Ever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Every computer I have had in recent years has had Windows Problems and Related Microsoft Problems. First of all let me Point out that I have always Supported Legal Software including MS Software.
    a-My First Linux Computer Was IBM Thinkpad With Windows XP OEM that I installed RED HAT 8 When RH was Free. I got RED HAT Linux 8 Unleashed a Rather Clumsy and Big Book with 2 CD's The ThinkPad was OK when New but Went to Peaces about 18 Months And MS License gave Support for only 30 Days from IBM.
    Eventually I stopped using it as HD was to small and to repare poor Screen and Motherboard could cost more than a New Computer.
    b- this Computer is a Lenovo Desktop that came with Windows Vista Basic Pre-Installed
    I added many Linux Partitions and it Crashes from time to time. I stopped using The Windows Partition that is Non Bootable.
    c- I got a ASUS PCeee with DVD OEM from ASUS with Win XP ASUS version. That is still working with Ubuntu Fedora and Linuxmint. BUT it always gets stuck on .Net that I am not interested at All.
    I had WIN 7 Beta but MS "threatened" me so I have removed it.
    What Next...
    Samuel Cohen
    CHANA Systems LTD
    Jaffa Israel

Beans

Havent't booted windows in a month, since i installed linux..

Beans

I have not used Windows for two+ years (and that was running under a VM on a Mac). The last reason to keep Windows was that our office information system worked with Explorer only. When they opened it up to universal browser support, I shut down Windows forever. Now I run a mix of Mac and Linux. Our office system runs best with Ubuntu/Chrome but there are still things Mac OS does better like Mac Screen Sharing (KRDC needs frequent re-starting).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I keep my windows about mainly for games and compatibility for old programs that are favourites of mine, but im new to ubuntu and ive already learnt more on this than my years on windows so im thinking a full switch over at some point.
    Never seen my crappy netbook run so fast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS at office, Lubuntu 11.04 in an old laptop at home, and just updating to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS wife's dual-boot laptop.

Page 866 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 366766816856864865866867868876916966 ... LastLast