Page 996 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 496896946986994995996997998 ... LastLast
Results 9,951 to 9,960 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Working from home via VPN to my work desktop that runs Win10 Pro. My laptop (Ubuntu 19.10) doesn't have enough screen for the setup at the office so I'm using an HP Pavilion Mini 300-20 that originally came with Win Pro 8! and now running Lubuntu 20.04. Our IT folks got me the Linux application for the Barracuda VPN ("We don't support Linux", he said and left me alone with it.) Anyway, the little HP works just fine, a tad slow with copy and paste perhaps, but more than adequate. The only change I have made to the HP was swapping out the original HDD for an SSD. Highly recommended!
    "The piano ain't got no wrong notes."

-Thelonious Monk

Beans

I started experimenting with Linux (FreeBSD) probably close to twenty years ago but used Windows as my everyday OS. Since every Windows OS from Win98 on has gotten bigger and slower, with a lot of (for me) unnecessary bloat, I began to use it less and less. A few weeks ago, while installing 20.04 I inadvertently trashed my Win 10 install. Rather than reinstall it on my second HDD, I am now running it in a VM in my Ubuntu 20.04 OS. I really only use Windows anymore on my downstairs PC so I can run my flight simulators.

delta1071

Beans

I'm new to the forums and so leaving my first mark here seems appropriate. I've been using Ubuntu exclusively on two machines for ~6 months now. I still have Windows 10 installed on a second partition on my 'gaming laptop', so I can still play racing games and far cry, etc - I'm not a big gamer tbh.

I've experimented with various Linux flavours for probably about 10 years, maybe a little longer, but I've never felt the need to switch full time. I honestly switched to Ubuntu a few months ago just as something to do one weekend and it stuck. I'm still picking up lots of little tips and tricks to make day to day life easier, but I'm enjoying Ubuntu more than Win 10. It's hard to pinpoint why, I just like the 'flow' of using it. I feel like I'm more productive.

Beans

hey man,

I've sort of switched, still got macos on a different partition but don't log into it often. It seems to run what i need, some issues with fonts due to my retina display but all good. To be fair, i mainly switched as i need to learn more linux.

jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm basically 100% on Ubuntu now although I have a Virtualbox VM running Windows 10 as a backup. I'm remoting into work using OpenConnect VPN and FreeRDP which does multi-screen remote desktops. I'm not a gamer really, but I wanted to get all my old games up and running again. I downloaded half life and Rome total war from steam using my old CD keys, and I've got C&C red alert 2 and PES4 running via PlayOnLinux so all my old games work on Ubuntu now anyway! Steam is brilliant nowadays, 10 years ago you had to struggle through installing stuff with Wine with mixed success, but no longer.

I used Red Hat when I was a PhD student and have always liked the fact if you wanted some software you could just download it, and generally there were numerous options for what you wanted to do. It makes the software so much more accessible and means you can be way more productive.
    Last edited by drjdmartin; May 18th, 2020 at 07:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Wow, this thread started in 2004 and was talking about switching from WinXP to Linux in the desktop space.

I am a mixed bag personally.

Most of the PCs/laptops at home came with Win7/Win8 and were upgraded to Win10 when it was free. My personal PC is Win10 mainly because of the large Steam collection of games.

At work, our PCs are also Win7/8/10 mainly because of services that REQUIRE Internet Explorer and other Windows-only apps. I wanted to setup Linux-based desktops but just couldn't do it because of so many Windows-required apps which would have killed my Citrix servers.

We have many Windows servers which are here because of the selected service requires it (e.g. medical equipment). The decision on services was never about the OS they ran on, only what they offered and whether or not we could host it. However, when given the choice, I tend to setup Linux servers for better utilization of the shared resources in virtual environments. It's hard to beat setting up a server that only requires 10GB of space and 512MB of RAM...not to mention a reduction in the hassles of licenses and the ability to roll out virtual machines with a touch of a button and only need to change the IP address and name to make it unique...unlike the pains of sysprep cloning.

LHammonds

Beans

I was a win user since win 3.1 switched my legacy laptop 6 months ago. now this laptop maybe 3 weeks ago, got tired of unfixed issues with win tech support (one issue i spent 2 weeks almost every day with level 3 tech support and they coulnt fix it) and poor legacy support. For me Ubuntu 20.04 beats win by by several lengths hands down. Things win techs couldn't fix Ubuntu worked out of the box, and on other issues better than win ever did. I will never go back.

Beans

Also I can add if your a gamer at heart you can use "Steam" or "GOG" or any emulators like "Rygel" "DosBox" and a slew of others. OrI use Ubuntu 20.04 and there is a large amount of games from canonicals repository. You have lots of choices.

Beans

I have completely switched to linux, though my system is still dual boot. The problem with some linux releases are that they don't work well. Synfig does not display texts while installing from the program manager.
    Does anyone have a solution for this. Also copy paste experience is not like window. It is best to still use cntrl C and cntrl V for it. Using mouse menus sometimes does not work. The problem is people develop, software for windows as it is a popular operating system. They try to make a linux installer for that, but a lot of things are over looked. I have also found that some of the menus that are available in Libre Office on windows are not there in Libre Office linux. Libre office was a program supposed to give a smooth office suite experience for linux users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I completely switched to linux in 2009 went from windows 2000 to ubuntu (wife had xp and I didn't like it at all with the cancel or allow BS, extra click for no reason). I tried fedora I liked it but took quite a few tweaks to get running unlike ubuntu which mostly worked out of the box. I tried linux mint it was ok got a couple of people to use it as it seemed to be the most similar to using windows. I stopped using ubuntu when it started using the unity desktop so I switched to xubuntu instead and have been using it ever since. Wife still has windows 10 desktop for certain apps she can't get or use on linux although she is not very happy with windows 10 she says she has to keep it. Her laptop has xubuntu 18.04 ( not upgraded it yet). My main laptop and desktop have xubuntu 20,04 and I have 1 laptop that still has xubuntu 18.04 on it and it is my ham radio link from radio to internet via echolink using wine to run it. We have windows 10 at work on 2 computers on a small network last week 1 upgraded and I had to spend an hour trying to get our settings back so that they would actually talk to each other (1 is used as a server for an accounting app so they need to see/talk to each other).
    Linux User# 479698 Ubuntu User# 24230

Xubuntu 20.04 on almost everything

Page 996 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 496896946986994995996997998 ... LastLast