Page 998 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 4988989489889969979989991000 ... LastLast
Results 9,971 to 9,980 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I always have a windows station, you must not put all your eggs in the same basket, I only keep it for leisure: itunes and steam

Beans

About every 6 months I try out Ubuntu or another Linux distribution. Very fascinating. I love the quiet user interface and fastness or response. Sadly, at some point sooner or later I need Windows for fast software testing. I use Linux for problems I cant address with Windows. I have many friends always struggling with Windows, for which I think Ubuntu will be much more simple and stable for them. But then they want to write a document with Libreoffice, and dont pay attention how they save it, and run into compatibility problems, and give up Linux.

In my opinion Ubuntu should be completely compatible with Windows for the most important software files, like from Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Crreative Cloud and other important production output software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In my opinion Ubuntu should be completely compatible with Windows for the most important software files, like from Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Crreative Cloud and other important production output software.
    Please address your concerns to the companies you just mentioned, Microsoft and Adobe.
    Software is what needs to be made compatible with the SO, not the other way around.

Beans

I switched in about 2015 as a way to keep our elderly desktop working on when Windows became too heavy and slow. I am seriously not a geek, and it took a lot of help from a friend, but the Ubuntu environment is so much a more pleasant place to experience that I wish we could dispense altogether with Windows, which is more intrusive and interfering. As it is, such things as updating the Satnav mean that a dual-boot laptop is sadly occasionally necessary. We've also discovered during the Pandemic times that Windows appears to handle Zoom calls much better.
    Meanwhile I depend heavily on the helpful goodwill of people in this forum to help when updating either versions or machines leads to problems, and am very grateful for this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Under Ubuntu or under Linux? They're different. For example, I've never been able to get my Brother scanner to work in Ubuntu based distros, but it works great in all other distros I've tried.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Under Ubuntu or under Linux? They're different.
    Indeed. The latter is a kernel, the former an Operating System based on the Linux kernel.
    That said, considering the spirit of the thread, such distinction is irrelevant.

Beans

switched completely to linux about a year ago . couldn't be happier

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by iamjiwjr View Post
    Under Ubuntu or under Linux? They're different. For example, I've never been able to get my Brother scanner to work in Ubuntu based distros, but it works great in all other distros I've tried.
    Ubuntu is from Linux. All other Linux O.S Distro is carrying a kernel so, again its Linux. Its not about the distro its about how you configure it. Its the configuration between your machine and the devices connected to your system. It is how you enable it using some tricky script, its weird though but fun. And for your additional info; I've got to work my Brother Scanner/printer using Ubuntu in any different Ubuntu machine and its via wifi IP configuration using some IP script. It runs smoothly via xsane and simple scan apps.
    Last edited by mIk3_08; February 21st, 2021 at 03:15 PM.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans

I switched in 2006 completely at home, still used windows at work until I retired in 2010 now all linux xubuntu past 2 years.

Beans

I did about seven years ago. Haven't looked back either. I developed a personal hatred for Bill's bugs as I was consistently betrayed by his malware OS for 15 years.

Page 998 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 4988989489889969979989991000 ... LastLast