Page 2 of 1002 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

on the 5 computers that I use, they run solely Ubuntu (yes -- I did wipe Fedora yesterday... BURN IN HELL)

In my house, I have two systems running XP -- one for my parents' day-to-day work (they still prefer Windows for some reason, though my dad is starting to grow attached to my linux computer...), and one for microcontroller programming (too many proprietary programs -- most won't run well under WINE, either)

I may add that 80% of my administration headaches are with those two boxes, the other 20% with my ex-Fedora installation!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gabbman
    My main box has been windows free for 2+ years.

The only thing I thought I'd miss is a linux version of Quicken. I tried many things to compensate for this from win4lin to codeweavers.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, it was easier to site in front of OO spreadsheet and design a budget and financial tracking template. Which has been a lot easier for me to plan and track, and more personalized for me then quicken ever was. Online banking can be done from any browser in my case so that was never a need in Quicken for me, just a convienience.

The updide of that is Quicken has reverted to licensing tacktics and upgrades annually. (my sister still can not let go).

So in addition to being windows free, I've save about 3 upgrades of Quicken and Quicktax.

Once you make up your mind to see the computing world without windows, you will find a way to accomplish the same tasks.

Gaming may be a whole new ball game. (or obsession)

I think if you are 'thinking' about going windowless, you are ready, JUST DO IT and learn to have fun.

i got quicken to work in wine.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thumbs up Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

>>>
    i got quicken to work in wine.<<<

Oh, I could too, but I am running older hardware (tyan 1854 mobo with 400 mhz celeron) so the wine, codeweavers etc reduce the resourse horse power to the point it is anoying.

Which is another positive thing for me using ubuntu, everything I need, with as few apps installed as posible, on a 2.6 kernel, so that combined with my 320 mb of ram, this old box has another few years of respectable life left in her.
    cheers - gabbman
    Linux, The Desktop of Choice

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gabbman
    >>>
    i got quicken to work in wine.<<<

Oh, I could too, but I am running older hardware (tyan 1854 mobo with 400 mhz celeron) so the wine, codeweavers etc reduce the resourse horse power to the point it is anoying.

Which is another positive thing for me using ubuntu, everything I need, with as few apps installed as posible, on a 2.6 kernel, so that combined with my 320 mb of ram, this old box has another few years of respectable life left in her.
    right i understand. i use vanilla wine that i apt-get from universe, its a bit jumpy when you open it and you gotta full screen the program or it will bug out on you, beyond that its not too bad.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jdodson
    right i understand. i use vanilla wine that i apt-get from universe, its a bit jumpy when you open it and you gotta full screen the program or it will bug out on you, beyond that its not too bad.
    I stopped using Windows in about 2000-2001 or so. Before that I had been using Linux part-time for about 3 or 4 years in '97 or '98.

Beans

Unhappy Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I would switch to live CD's completely except I can't find any of them can play MPEG movies . ..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    I would switch to live CD's completely except I can't find any of them can play MPEG movies . ..
    they dont include mpeg playback because of patent restrictions. the only way i know of is to add that functionality when you install ubuntu.

FX is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans

On here I only have Ubuntu. On my file server for backups I have only Ubuntu. On the kids pc I have only Ubuntu. (don't have to worry about stupid viruses and crap with them on the net.) On my gaming machine I still dual boot with XP for gaming. Linux just isn't up to snuff yet. I've heard all the arugements too about Wine/WineX/Cedega and it don't cut it. Especially for the games I play.

Besides right now I'm pretty crabby with Linux. Been using it for about 2 years now and to this day I still get fustrated. Somedays I just get sick of jumping through hoops to get things to work.

FX

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FX
    Besides right now I'm pretty crabby with Linux. Been using it for about 2 years now and to this day I still get fustrated. Somedays I just get sick of jumping through hoops to get things to work.
    FX
    Yeah i know whats its like as a heavy gamer/game artist. I would be more inclinde to ditch windows if 3d studio max and photshop were ported to linux. And a whole lot more modern games such as Tribes Vengeance and Dawn of War.

Next upgrade ill be dual booting with Ubuntu tho i have no room atm and have it on my brothers pc...

Beans

I still have WinXP on my hard drive, but I only use that for getting my printer to work (it suddenly stopped working one day, I finally reinstalled two pkgs to get it to work again) and to view any vids if I can't get mplayer to work (wmvs won't play for some reason).

I think that, at least for the rest of this academic year, I'll have WinXP be a vestigial structure.

Page 2 of 1002 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast