Page 850 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 350750800840848849850851852860900950 ... LastLast
Results 8,491 to 8,500 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unhappy Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Until OpenOffice or LibreOffice can really handle Office 2010, no can do.

In addition, dealing with dual monitors with 11.10 is ridiculously difficult.

Until stuff like that 'just works', can't completely switch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I switched over completely several years ago. (Bill Gates, the great promoter of open-source! turned thousands of people to using Linux by releasing Vista!)

The only thing I really miss is Silverlight support for Netflix streaming. (Yes, I know about Moonlight, but it doesn't work for the Netflix site, which is the only place where I needed to use it anyway.)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

For work, be it home or office, I use XP. It does Turbotax and converts my home videos and it enables me to make modifications to my phone software.

For fun I used to use Ubuntu, then I switched to Mint.

My home server does use Ubuntu 10.10 server.
    Acer Veriton N231G, 4G Ram, 320G HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ageofsteam View Post
    I switched over completely several years ago. (Bill Gates, the great promoter of open-source! turned thousands of people to using Linux by releasing Vista!)
    And here I thought I was all alone in turning to Linux as a result of Vista. Sure I had toyed with the idea for years, but it was the realization that XP was a dead end and Vista (at the time) looked to be the future, that finally prompted me to take the plunge.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i like to think i have switched to linux i have been using it fr the last 4 years, but then i need to scan something so i to dual boot to xp because i have never got my scanner to work on linux, i have been trying on ubuntu since version 8.04 tried all the different ideas and installed the drivers from avasys dozens of times . also i find the photo printing progs not as good or very limited on options to print. so i still have not fully switched from that virus ridden os .

Beans

Unfortunately, my multimedia interests, which include a media course at my high school, requires me to continue using Mac OS X in order to get the best possible Multimedia software. However, when the time comes that Linux will do the job just as well, I will be switching over to it entirely. Unfortunately, I may be forced to buy another mac with one of the newer versions of Mac OS X before that...which I don't like the idea of.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bregale View Post
    i like to think i have switched to linux i have been using it fr the last 4 years, but then i need to scan something so i to dual boot to xp because i have never got my scanner to work on linux, i have been trying on ubuntu since version 8.04 tried all the different ideas and installed the drivers from avasys dozens of times . also i find the photo printing progs not as good or very limited on options to print. so i still have not fully switched from that virus ridden os .
    That's unfortunate. I have (or have had) three Canon scanners and an Epson all-in-one.

The Canons just worked (whereas in Windows I had to install drivers, Ubuntu recognized them automatically), and the Epson worked with a bit of installation and coaxing (it's an all-in-one, after all, and I'm accessing it over the network).

Beans

My advise for gaming is to have either a smallish windows partition or separate drive and boot that when you want to game or get a console like PS3. It is what I plan to do since I currently don't have windows on this box at all. Some games will work with wine and playonlinux. Search around and see if what you play can run well on Linux and you might be able to save yourself the agony of a messing with dual boot.

Blue skies!

Beans

For graphics and multimedia, which is really my thing, Linux as a desktop OS simply isn't practical. I wish it were, and if it ever becomes so in the future, I'll consider it.

Beans

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
    Same problem with me also and one more thing downloading i did not get any software like idm(downloading speed) in linux...

Page 850 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 350750800840848849850851852860900950 ... LastLast