Page 801 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 301701751791799800801802803811851901 ... LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,010 of 10014

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I am trying to move completely Linux.. But I started using Ubuntu since I recently became a supporter of OSS. Unfortunately, I could not find a match for MS Office (at least for Word) for writing technical reports. Especially for equation editing. I am a engineering masters and need to write papers and reports with lot of complicated equations. Even though Libre and Open office support some equation editing, they are not as good as MS Word. If i could solve that problem, I will definitely move completely to Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I think it says Ubuntu Classic. 11.10 won't have that, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I still have Windows 7 installed because my dad is a n00b when it comes to Linux... >.>
    But, if I could delete Windows, believe me I would.
    Ubuntu shall reign supreme!

Beans
    Hidden!

I wish I could go full-on Linux but I still need Photoshop. Blender also bonks out using non-proprietary drivers, and it's a headache getting the proprietary ones to work on anything but Ubuntu. So I still have Windows 7 and use it daily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wow. A 7-year-old, 800+ page thread, and still going strong.

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I'm an IT professional and I've been using Ubuntu as my primary OS for years, but tended to keep Windows around for gaming purposes. One of my kids was surfing an art website while XP was running and managed to get nailed by a drive-by rogue antivirus program, which was pretty much the last straw.

Upon acquiring a new laptop which shipped with Windows 7, I gave Windows a shot for the 1st six months with the understanding that Microsoft has improved their security dramatically, and grew to dislike it immensely.

I recently acquired a 60gb SDD, put it as the primary drive and loaded only Ubuntu 11.04 on it. I boot into Ubuntu Classic (no effects) and am currently playing World of Warcraft and Minecraft using ATI proprietary drivers. It's very fast, boots in about 10 seconds, GIMP loads in 2 seconds, & everything is sweet. The laptop had an unused drive bay so I purchased the necessary caddy and attached the original 500GB drive as secondary. I still need to blow away the Windows partition and expand the EXT3 partition to the full capacity of the drive, and set it to mount automatically on startup. I'll then set up symbolic links for the Videos and Pictures folders and anything else I'll want to store there.

Now if only I could get my employer to let me ditch Windows, I'd be free...
    I <3 my Debian + Drupal webserver: Fated to End Sometime

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

90% Linux user, 10% Windows Gamer.

Windows gets fired up whenever I feel like playing a game on my system (As my console systems are woefully ancient and need to be updated - but I don't want to update them until the newest comes out.) and nothing else.
    I am not here for your hearts and your minds - we have enough of those in stock, what we really need right now are feet and elbows...

Beans

I've been using GNU/Linux full-time since about two months before I registered this account, my computer crashed and I just completely switched, after that I haven't touched windows, even though it was a hardware problem and the switch didn't fix it. <3

I was quite a gamer when I used windows, so I had to completely stop playing the games I usually played, which I don't regret now really, because they were a waste of time as I see it. Now I use even longer time sitting in front of the computer, but I do useful stuff and learn about computers. I still game a little though, my favorite games are Mines from gnome games, and Tetris.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I switched a little over a week ago. Right now, I am totally lost. I think I maybe should have kept windows until I became familiar with Ubuntu. I am in sink or swim mode, and haven't a clue. Oh, well. I am presently trying to find a tutorial on using unix commands so I can understand the advice/help I am getting on these forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ihartmydoghead View Post
    I switched a little over a week ago. Right now, I am totally lost. I think I maybe should have kept windows until I became familiar with Ubuntu. I am in sink or swim mode, and haven't a clue. Oh, well. I am presently trying to find a tutorial on using unix commands so I can understand the advice/help I am getting on these forums.
    You can always ask for help on here on Ubuntuforums.org--I've gotten answers to a number of questions/issues here, either by searching or asking. And with newbie stuff, I might be able to help.

One handy thing I've found is to keep a "Linux" folder somewhere, full of text files I write up on how to do certain things I've had trouble with and needed to get help on. Now when I'm setting up a new box I get the how-to-do-that from my text files rather than having to look them up on the Internet again.

Page 801 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 301701751791799800801802803811851901 ... LastLast