Page 993 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 493893943983991992993994995 ... LastLast
Results 9,921 to 9,930 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

i was using XP in 2016. now im using lubuntu. i run XP way beyond, when i should have. i started using linux in 2016. i havent used my 1st. hard drive XP, in over a year. i dont regret the change a bit. i still have information, on the 1st HD, when i finally get around to retrieval, both drives will be linux. the 2nd HD is only linux.
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

When i´ve bought my first Raspberry Pi, mostly for Pi-hole currently, i´ve first really asked myself more seriously on why i was still staying on Windows 10, despite having an extremely great experience with Rapsbian and also that other Ubuntu OS that i´ve installed instead of Win 8, because it was completly useless with that original OS.
    I´ve came to the conclusion that the only real thing that was retained me, was the games. Well, I´ve said that, but i was just in time for the Steam proton release, who completly scratched that last reason on why i was still using Windows 10.
    So, i´ve decided to switch on Ubuntu Studio, due to the preference of my Video editing preferences.
    So currently, I´m having issues to play my whole favorite video game, can´t adapt to pass from Photoshop to GIMP, and still didn´t format all the partions on all of my hard drives, but i surely don´t regret that, and won´t switch into other non-GNU os again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have been a Mac and Linux user all my life. I never really had a computer running Windows as my personal computer. I gave up on Mac at some point, did not like what their system had become... Then they introduced OSX, totally fell in love with the Linux inspired new Mac system... But I was always going back to Linux for raw power and ultimate command line control...

I used Red Hat distro back in the days, but switched to Ubuntu somewhere in the early 201X...

I let Ubuntu down for a while but I was missing it... Bought a PC two weeks ago, erased Windows, loaded 18.04 LTS (deep breath) : felt so good again!

I've been struggling with it ever since ) After 2 weeks I still havent a full functioning email, and I dont know how to access Evernote (my Tusk wont work , I dont know why...). I am trying to find a copy of all the Bash scripts I wrote and used on a daily basis back in the days.... Trying to remember my 2 bits of Perl etc. I'm happy!!!

Beans

I have loaded it before and played around with it, but that been a while back. I'm running a PLEX media server on Windows and don's like all the overhead of Windows, so I decided to go with Ubuntu 18.04 server and make it a headless server for my media server. I'm been working on it on and off for a couple of months, but I have it up and working, still have a lot of reading and playing with a test laptop and learn by trial and error. My name is Tony aka "Madlad" and I'm new to the forum and new to Ubuntu server, I've run the desktop in in the past, but now have the desk running on one P/C and just loaded Deepin on Friday and my laptop. I the type of person to try and figure this out before I ask for help, so if I post a stupid question, let me know and forgive me, I will apologize for that now, I sure it will happen.

-Madlad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I complete most of my work on Ubuntu...but sometimes it becomes essential to switch to windows for my graphic work (as i prefer to work on photoshop instead of gimp) and for playing games. But personally I like Linux more than the windows...

Beans

I haven't gone 100% ubuntu - infact i use several Linux distros. Just that if I can avoid it, I avoid using MS windows!
    In fact I am about to make a server for my network on one of the distros - Just not sure which one (yet) , and am very curious about the "hardening" in that I currently am the main user on my system; however, I will be subnetting, and wanting to make a server for the "home business subnet" and a server for the "personal home use" subnet - with both servers actually being clients to the broader supernet server. its primarily about learning how to use UFW, and iptables, etc, etc, to create better security before I actually open it up as a "Production server" with access through the internet

Beans

Myself and my entire family are using exclusively Linux for 10-15y, and exclusively Kubuntu for some 8y.
    My parents are using exclusively Kubuntu since their first PC. Kubuntu was chosen because:
    - IMH it's the best Desktop Environment in the world since Kde4 became stable. The GUI by far exceed Ubuntu default GUI. Not easy to detail, but just to name a few : Klipper (for copy/paste history, programmable actions, ...), Notification management, KdeBluetooth and Kde Connect, QT is nicer generally, Konsole & tabs, generally better integrated tools, and for long. (Remember kdcop, and all the scripting that was already available 10y ago). Other GUI have since improved a lot, but are still missing the right setting at the right place.
    - I did not want my family to get lost in case they have to use a Windows at work or at school. They know they just have to press the windows Icon instead of the K one. Kubuntu tend to be more "conventional" in regards to MS Windows basics.
    The exception is a brother that is much more interested in Gaming.

But after 15y without Windows (except at work in some cases), I bought a Windows License with my new PC, and I'm using it more and more. The reason is VR. VR support is still not easy to get working. It's definitely not easy in Windows, and is worse in Linux. I bought only Linux compatible HW (HTC Vive) and I buy only Linux supported software (Blender extensions, X-Plane, G-Earth, Metro Last Light). But still many showstoppers in Kubuntu 19.04. It probably would have better worked if I would have stayed in Kubuntu 18.04. I'm confident that the issues I have with 19.04 will be fixed in few months, and I look forward not having to boot Windows daily, but in the meantime I'm back to Windows. Really hard after 15y. I almost forgot how the Konsole equivalent is a pain in windows and how the file explorer is a shame. (No tabs, no F4 to get a quick command line, cmd.exe is still a nightmare for copy/paste, search, ... Even not a proper PDF reader like Okular... Powershell is good but often overcomplicated when you just want to loop on processes or easily accessible stull like in bash... I've been impressed to see Ubuntu console, that gives a decent experience even if there's no graphical interface. Just missing a way to manage tabs properly. And it still does not compete with ease of use of Konsole + Bash + qdbus ... The windows store is a real pity compared to apt... You still have to go back downloading stuff from various sources, have to cope with all annoyances to go to a specific web page and sometimes register instead of just apt search/install <your software>... Even not a good scripting language install by default such as Python to just type some calculations or basic loops in a REPL... I lost days in just browsing sites downloading stuff from sources I do not necessarily trust just to get what comes by default in Kubuntu or is very straight forward to get... Have to switch regularly to Linux just to use excellent free tools such as Kdenlive or Blender.. Yes, Windows still has no included advanced Video editor... And still have very poor experience. Windows copy Kubuntu in many ways, but it's 5-8y behind...

Unfortunately, Windows still benefit from it's large install base, and developers first fixes things in Windows, which makes total sense.

Well, I hope this Windows nightmare will reach an end for me as soon as possible with the HTC Vive/Steam/X-Plane Linux Support Fixes
    Last edited by pivert2; June 11th, 2019 at 12:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have completely switched to Ubuntu as of this week and am having to learn everything from scratch, it's quite exciting having to learn something new! Is Ubuntu 19.04 the best versions to play steam games?

Beans

I switched to Linux in 1996 with Debian from FreeBSD. I don't really have much Windows experience but I do play a few windows games via wine and a few steam games. I currently run Kubuntu 19.10 development on my main PC, Raspian stretch on my pi and Ubuntu Server 18.04 on my firewall/file server. I also have experience with most all other Linux distros too including Fedora/RedHat/CentOS, Arch, Gentoo, and Linux Form Scratch (LFS).

Beans

Use Oracle VirtualBox. I use it to run Windows 7 because my stupidly expensive Engineering software is windows only
    It's really easy. Down load it from Oracle then install and start up a VM environment that you call whatever you want, and install Windows from the OS disk. Then within that virtual environment that you just made, navigate to a drop down called Devices ( it'll be in a black area over the Windows screen) and select "Insert Guest Additions CD image" That'll give you a set of drivers to enhance graphics and other things. Then you are golden to run any windows **** you want.

Page 993 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 493893943983991992993994995 ... LastLast