Page 751 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 251651701741749750751752753761801851 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,510 of 10014

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by jerenept View Post
    You cancelled Netflix in order to have only Linux?
    We won't think any less of you here if you use Windows, you know.
    lmao I know that, but netflix was really the only thing tying me onto windows, and for the few movies I was watching it wont kill me to find them on sites like hulu or elsewhere, or even by a dvd/blueray

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tadcrazio View Post
    lmao I know that, but netflix was really the only thing tying me onto windows, and for the few movies I was watching it wont kill me to find them on sites like hulu or elsewhere, or even by a dvd/blueray
    I use Linux exclusively on my PC, however I still have a Netflix account. I just use Netflix through my PS3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I get laughed at all the time because the tech school I go to has the microsoft IT academy accreditation and I refuse to use anything but Ubuntu. Although it makes things tough when I take courses like server 2008 configuration and windows 7 configuration and I have no way to study, but with my major, i have a feeling that linux is going to be more of a major player. there is a misconception that microsoft dominates all markets and that simply is not the truth. so for the time being ill swallow my pride and take the courses for my degree but i wont compromise and put windows on my home machines.

Beans
    Distro

However, I'm still looking for that "wow" factor. Ubuntu does everything that other OS's do, and more, and better, but it hasn't really shaken me to my core. I swapped over for simplicity, not for innovation: I've already been converted, but is there something I'm missing?
    For me, Gnome and Compiz Fusion were Linux's "killer app". Switching to Ubuntu and ticking a few boxes meant that I suddenly had a much prettier interface that really looked futuristic at the time, switching from Vista. Really, though, OSX is equally pretty, and equally quick, stable, and secure, for that matter. The wow factor for me was really predicated on switching from Windows, not OSX.

But it was wowing at the time. = )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I used to dual boot, but what a pain. Now I have XP installed in a virtual machine for the two programs I need it for, Quickbooks and Chief Architect.
    I'm not a gamer, but if I were this might not be an acceptable setup as the VM uses a lot of memory. I have 2GB and probably should have 4. I have no desire to go back to Windows.
    "Named must your fear be before banish it you can."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu is the only OS on this machine. I use XP at school though, because that's what the school computer have. I tried using Win7 on my mum's computer, and it sucked. I couldn't do anything that I could on Ubuntu.
    Blog|Twitter|NO FACEBOOK

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cf0531 View Post
    I get laughed at all the time because the tech school I go to has the microsoft IT academy accreditation and I refuse to use anything but Ubuntu. Although it makes things tough when I take courses like server 2008 configuration and windows 7 configuration and I have no way to study, but with my major, i have a feeling that linux is going to be more of a major player. there is a misconception that microsoft dominates all markets and that simply is not the truth. so for the time being ill swallow my pride and take the courses for my degree but i wont compromise and put windows on my home machines.
    You know, it wouldn't do you any harm to install VirtualBox and set up the Windows configurations you need to study with. Then you can just delete the VMs when you don't need them any more--shoot, you could make a party out of it! Pop a cork, think out loud "I've learned your OS, now here's what I think of it", then press the delete key.

Beans

Thanks to the Ultimate Boot Disk CD I was able to save the data from a Billy box a friend has . Of course that program boots into Linux. Reminds me of why I don't do windows.
    If I have to go to a never version of quick books I will buy Crossover Linux before I use windows again.

Beans
    Distro

I got my MCP certification in 2003. Since then, i've switched to OS X, and then to Ubuntu. I do love my Macs but I've switched all the PCs at home to Ubuntu, and I just bought myself a System76 Pangolin laptop for Christmas! I've got our kids all switched over to Ubuntu from windows, and they love it as well.

I've even installed it on my computer at work and use VirtualBox for the software that is windows only. I don't see myself ever going back.

Beans

Switched from windows XP to Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04) also for my work in May 2009 shortly after it came out but I was already following Ubuntu with an experimental dual boot PC at home since Breezy Badger (5.10).

Before that I had installed and played a bit with Red Hat 8 on a small 200MHz 128MB PC. In parallel I had another 66MHz PC running OpenBSD 3.6 which I updated until 4.1 and I used mainly as a home firewall/router.

I used Mac's (also for work) until 2001 (so never used MacOSX).

I work in a scientific engineering research environment but nevertheless need to contribute to papers, presentations and documents which are still mainly in the MS Office format.

Although Open Office gets better and better it is (in my honest opinion) for some aspects still not as good or "user friendly" than the MS suite (I know the 2003 quite well) but most importantly the documents do not always translate well between Oo and MS.

So sometimes there is no other solution than to fire up a virtualbox PC with windows XP and the MS Office 2003 suite to work on some of the documents.

For my scientific programing I switched from Fortran to Matlab back in 2000 and since 2008-9 I've switched to python (iPython, scipy, etc ...) and I am very happy with it.

One other piece of software that I regularly come to miss is AutoCAD. I don't seem to have found anything yet that is as stable and fast as the original for linux ... again virtualbox comes to rescue.

It's just life : MS still rules out there !

In the mean time the whole family followed and my son, daughter and wife all switched to Ubuntu at home and for their school work (they all have their own laptops or desktop). We have still one PC which is dual boot and which has a series of Windows games on it and which is not connected to the internet.

I provide most of the IT services and support at home : it is still the case that using linux, even Ubuntu, requires to sometimes google and consult forums a lot for solutions and/or alternatives to software : most annoying are e.g. installing printers (e.g. Lexmark x1150 = Dell A920). Without my support and my natural interest since forever for "things to do with computers" I do not think that the switch over from MS to Ubuntu would have been successful at home. Now, I think the family won't go back to Windows ...

If I had one wish it would that Oo and MS Office would become even more compatible OR that a MS Office Suite for Linux would exist ... I was once told that the big Apple - MS 'look and feel' lawsuite of the 90's was resolved with an obligation for MS to produce an MS Office compatible product for Mac's 'for ever'. Yes, that was very thoughtful from the Apple boys at that time.

So in conclusion, linux and in particular Ubuntu, has become a real alternative provided that 1) you have some good experience and courage to be able to solve some interface and document compatibility issues between the still vastly dominating MS world out there and 2) (probably) your not a gamer.

Page 751 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 251651701741749750751752753761801851 ... LastLast