Page 408 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 308358398406407408409410418458508908 ... LastLast
Results 4,071 to 4,080 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Only got Ubuntu installed on my machines, thats three laptops, 1: Thinkpad E570 450Mhz PII 192mb ram running Fluxbuntu| 2ell Latitude C540 1.6Ghz 1280mb ram running Xubuntu 8.10 | 3: HP pavilion dv9232eu 1.6Ghz TL52 X2 2GB ram running Ubuntu 8.10.

Kind Regards MikeDK
    I LOVE UBUNTU period

Beans

LINUX FTW!!

Beans

This laptop is indeed running on Ubuntu 8.10 as my signature says.

I still dual boot our P4 home desktop with XP and Ubuntu 7.10 for the sake of my wife who doesn't like Linux much.

I have found an old P2 desktop on which I installed Fluxbuntu 7.10.

There is another P3 laptop on which I'll try to install Ubuntu 8.10 whenever I have the time.

Man, I'm spawning Ubuntu!
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have 5 computers in my house, I am leaving 1(ONE) on winders... I still need to use my ipod....
    I have my XBOX360 streaming media from my MythTV box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

On my desktop Ubuntu is my default OS now, has been for about 3 weeks or a month or so.
    I re-installed XP on the other HDD in the machine, hoping a fresh install with only the minimum of additions would speed it up. It didn't its still bloody awful!

I'm keeping XP because of my Canon printer, the drivers in linux are very limited for this printer (and scanner/copier) so if I want to print in a 'non-standard' way I need XP. Also I use Pinnacle studio video editor and I've got a handful of add-ons for it -which I paid for! so I need it for that also.

Its ubuntu all the way for 'net and office stuff, which is 90% of what I do.

Its faster, better to look at and I like learning how to do more stuff with it.

Jay

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
    If I can't get a Windows program to run under Ubuntu then I use either Wine or VirtualBox. VirtualBox is neat since it lets me use any OS while running Ubuntu.
    Don't spend your time thinking of the problem. Spend your time thinking of the solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by maestrobwh1 View Post
    Agreed... There are more things I can do with Ubuntu than I can do with XP.

1) boot so fast that I will actually stay at the computer and wait for it to boot.

2) not worry about making sure my antivirus is up to date and then wait an extra minute at every boot for that to happen.

3) firewall is set and forget. guarddog doesn't ask me questions.

4) have my all my system update in a few clicks. oh, and just upgrade when I ask it to and not want to restart after the upgrade. can windows do this? nope. Oh, and its software doesn't ask to restart after updating either. Half the programs I install in windows want to restart to computer to work. Really? Why can't a dll just be made active?

5) not have my software or system obsoleted by a new release. have you ever tried to upgrade windows? what a nightmare. okay, w2k to XP went sort of okay.

6) have a cool looking system that doesn't look like everyone else's.

7) shutdown so fast that I don't need to go do something else before packing up my laptop. what is windows constantly needing to do when I shut down? just shut down... NOW because I asked it to.

8) Not have to have this struggle after an update: "No, I don't want to restart my computer now... no, not now.... no, stop it. I am working on something. shut up! Stop asking me to reboot!"
    OMG! Yes! Right on!

Personally, I've been using Linux off and on since Warty came out. I've tried Archlinux 32 and 64-bit versions, tried installing Gentoo (what a nightmare), attempted the last beta release of OpenDarwin (too bad my hardware didn't like it), played around with DSL and Feather Linux and still keep coming back to Ubuntu.

I've completely ditched Windows now. I'm free of the shackles and countless "Restart your computer now?" dialog boxes! I swore I would do so as soon as my wireless started to work (it does!) and as soon as the biggest gaming obsession of mine was 99.0% stable in Wine. Now World of Warcraft is installed. The 1% remaining problems can probably be fixed with an optional addon and I couldn't be happier.

Now... if only I could find uses for the huge number of apps at my disposal. *dreams*
    I would like to say that I refuse to be branded. However, if Ubuntu is doing the branding, I have no choice but to feel honored.

Beans

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Not got rid of windows, but after a week or so, i have only dual booted into windows once, just to check email settings, for setup on Ubuntu instead.
    Can't see a reason to go back, unless any of the kids games don't work on here.
    Yes, some of the install gave a few probs, but everyone here helps loads and quickly.
    Had just as many probs in Windows installing, which is partly the reason to get this installed.
    Also noone denies the problem you suggest is not happening, unlike microsoft!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have been using Ubuntu for the past year and love it. I can actually do a lot more with Ubuntu than i can with windows. In Windows, most decent programs have to be paid for. I find that whatever i need to do on my computer there is a free program for doing it in Ubuntu. I have pleasant dreams about it every night instead of having nightmares about windows.

Gaz.

Beans

I administer the systems for a business with 24 Desktops/Laptops and 4 servers. We have one iMac/G5. It runs OSX with Virtual PC to run XP in a window which is required by an automatic payment processor that some of our customers use to pay us. That application is the only work we do with Windows. The only Windows we run is on cellphones and it's barely acceptable for that.

Page 408 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 308358398406407408409410418458508908 ... LastLast