Page 898 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 398798848888896897898899900908948998 ... LastLast
Results 8,971 to 8,980 of 10014

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have no windows in my household. I dearly miss Netflix and Evernote. Oh Well!
    Amor cuerdo, no es Amor.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by donniezazen View Post
    I have no windows in my household. I dearly miss Netflix and Evernote. Oh Well!
    Are you sure you have no windows in your house.

Beans

I love Linux, but the content base and stability (yes stability) of windows is just too significant. Linux has made some fantastic advancements and I LOVE using it for so many reasons, but it's still not close to being par with Windows. At least, not Windows XP, or Windows 7. XP has been around long enough to become extremely solid, and Win7 is solid as well. Vista was always a Joke, and, while I've never used Windows 8, It looks like it belongs on a television set, or tablet from what I've seen and it looks hard to take seriously... I can't be objective though because like I said, I've never used it. As it is, I have two machines running full time. One with Linux, and another with Windows 7 Pro, and I couldn't do without, because there are simply too many things each can do that the other can't. (actually, I *could* fully run Linux in a VM in windows and get the full deal, but not the other way around) but I decided to make a dedicated Linux box, third-party drivers and all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Euroman View Post
    Have you tried any of those games in Wine? It's not the perfect solution but you could be lucky on some of the games especially when they are older (no DirectX version higher than 9). Just saying because I bought a Windows game last weekend, Plants Vs Zombies (only €5 couldn't resist), that seems to work really well with Wine 1.4.
    "Plants vs. Zombies" isn't a *real* game. May as well be solitaire, if you know what I mean.

And actually I believe there is software available that you can push it up to DX10 or so by running it all through OpenGL. Never went that far because I've never had the need, but I've read about it, and was careful looking at my OpenGL/OpenCL specs when buying my graphics cards with that in mind, if I were to some day find the need/desire to do so. I think there is a commercial fork of PlayOnLinux, also aimed at Mac users, so they can attempt to play some of the PC titles. Been awhile though, forgot what it's called.

Beans

I have completely switched myself. I only run 2 programs in wine that i use occasionaly. Mkv2vob for converting mkv for my ps3 and mp3tag because i find it much easier to use than linux alternatives. One day I will probably build a gaming rig or buy a mac just out of sheer curiosity but until then 100% linux.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Full switch a few days ago. Both desktop and laptop now run Xubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I completely switched over (haven't used any linux before I switched over) for 5 or 6 months ago (just an estimate, don't remember which month I made the switch). Ubuntu is so great that I have no need for windows.

And the reason I jumped over to linux, was the spyware that will be installed as default in windows 8. Microsoft can see anything you do, they can even shut your computer down (making it unusable, until you format the HDD). I will not support a company that do such things.

So I will not buy any more microsoft product until they change their ways.

Actually, linux was the only option. Apple is even more control freaks than microsoft, and I do not buy any of their products either.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pompel9 View Post
    And the reason I jumped over to linux, was the spyware that will be installed as default in windows 8. Microsoft can see anything you do, they can even shut your computer down (making it unusable, until you format the HDD). I will not support a company that do such things.
    Spyware? What are you talking about exactly?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

This spyware: http://log.nadim.cc/?p=78

They do not call it spyware, but essentially it is spyware.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinzzz View Post
    Went back to Windows!(Windows 7) seems to be a solid OS

well 1191 beans and back to windows. What were doing on this forum for so long?

Page 898 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 398798848888896897898899900908948998 ... LastLast