Page 308 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 208258298306307308309310318358408808 ... LastLast
Results 3,071 to 3,080 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I've had to re-install an XP partition after being windows free for several months. Why? F***ing Netflix!!

If you want to go legit watching video you have spend $100 bucks on a OS just to use it then give up 3Gb for an XP installation and then keep a further 3GB free to watch a movie. A 6GB partition on my drive just to stream a movie.

Apparently...you could watch platform independent Divx DVD quality movies, hosted on stage6 without any of the crap Netflix makes you put up with (please wait a further 15 mins for play back to 'adjust', in the middle of my movie!!)

I would be happy to give my $10 a month to stage6 their service rocked... by all accounts..
    Xubuntu 10.04 on a HP DV5215US Laptop, 1gb RAM, 80GB HDD, with a ATI Radeon Express 200m.

Gimp tutorials for photographers - http://goingmanual.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I use removable drives, Ubuntu and Windows live on separate drives (both of which are cloned). I can judge my Windows usage by how often I swap out the Linux drive and put in Windows. I haven't done this for months. I would say the switch is pretty much complete. I use Ubuntu Studio since I am a composer and love the applications. I started with Studio to Go! a few years back, they took a good crack at making a great music app oriented distro, but unfortunately ran out of steam. Ubuntu Studio is just as good, if not better in some ways. Kudos to Ubuntu. My experience with Mandriva was a bit disappointing...

Beans

I've installed Linux through Wubi..I've got xp and Hardy Heron ..I'm thinking of switching to Linux only in case I manage to install a lan scanner since mine doesn't work with Linux.

Beans

My main box is Ubuntu 8.04, and I made the switch about 2 weeks before it's release, to 7.10. I am enjoying it.

I have a 1.6GHz WinXP box for my Line 6 Hardware, but that's all it does.

The one thing I can't get working properly is the java runtime. It is installed in the Synaptics, but java.com says it's not there. I haven't the slightest as to why.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Been a linux user for some 15 years or so.

But finally made the switch at home about a year ago. Couldn't be happier.

I'm currently running Kubuntu 8.04rc AMD64bit
    Hardy Heron
    kernel: 2.6.24-16-generic
    4 Gigs Ram
    AMD64 X2 Dual 6000+
    ATI Radeon X1200
    ATI 8.476 video drivers
    KDE 3.5.9 (just not ready for 4.0 yet)
    Linux IS user-friendly... its just picky about who its friends are!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mbenson111 View Post
    My main box is Ubuntu 8.04, and I made the switch about 2 weeks before it's release, to 7.10. I am enjoying it.

I have a 1.6GHz WinXP box for my Line 6 Hardware, but that's all it does.

The one thing I can't get working properly is the java runtime. It is installed in the Synaptics, but java.com says it's not there. I haven't the slightest as to why.
    If you open up firefox and type "aboutlugins" in the address bar (without the quotes), do you see java installed?

Beans

Thumbs down Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

me may linux rule forever

Beans

i switched to Ubuntu last august, but i have used Linux on and off since 1999. i switched completely in august last year since all i need to do, i can do now in Linux. I have windows installed as a VM, but i only use it to show people that if they need Windows, why not run it as a VM in Linux, it's much more stable and offers, at least in my experience, better performance, dont ask me why

as far as games goes, i used to play anarchy online, but i havent been able to get it to run in Linux yet, since i dont know how to apply the patches manually *blush*, but i can live without, thinking of trying Cedega though.

i use Ubuntu because in my experience, it is one of the easiest Linux distros out there that is easy to use, and that is important for me as i try to make my friends to convert to Linux as well and they need to see that it is no longer an exclusive geek club like it was in the late 90's, Linux first appeared in 1991 i think, correct me if im wrong please

anyways, i never regretted converting to Linux for a second, and as far as anarchy online goes, i will make it work someday, but it is not a neccesity

9. Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Hi all,

I've been linux-only since at least 8 years now and have been dual-booting linux and windows for some two more years.
    GPL rules

I have switched between redhat, mandrake, suse, debian sid, debian testing, gentoo, some more debian sid, ubuntu, debian sid and finally ubuntu (something close to this order). Same thing for the desktop of course, between X only without any window manager, enlightenment, icewm, gnome and currently kde.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I first really started to use anything other than Windows back in 2003 with Free BSD 5 on a small web/mail/irc server (1 GHz AMD T-bird ftw!).

After that, I still used windows mainly but played around extensively with Gentoo until about a year ago. Almost exactly a year ago I changed my server from Gentoo to Ubuntu 7.04. Just last night I changed that server to a virtualized 8.04 32-bit on my desktop (which runs 8.04 64-bit).

On my desktop though I removed all traces of windows about four months ago since Vista just doesn't cut it for me.

Page 308 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 208258298306307308309310318358408808 ... LastLast