Page 937 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 437837887927935936937938939947987 ... LastLast
Results 9,361 to 9,370 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by 1l0vel1nux View Post
    I want to go to solo Ubuntu 12.04 - now I have the windows XP dual boot I have seen others speak on.. xp was on it's last leg when Ubuntu came to the rescue in my case. My wife uses the Ubuntu and it is great!! and I really want to make the leap but I guess I am still a little cautious. t if I change from dual-boot will my dell still respond the same way or could it become less responsive to Ubuntu 12.04 - I guess that is my concern...

It will run just as well, better if you consider that you won't have to select the OS every time you start your machine.

The only thing you may want to consider is if there are certain Windows specific apps that you use. Then you may want to try installing those apps on your Ubuntu and see how well they run in Wine, Cross-Over Linux or Plan-on-Linux.

I have had Ubuntu installed on my laptop solely for about 5 years, and have never had any performance issues (my laptop originally came with Vista Home Premium, so Ubuntu was a spectacular upgrade and I've never looked back!)

Beans

I run completely ubuntu for 3 years now, I used mandrake, fedora, debian, windows before. I also installed ubuntu server at work for 1 year now on all servers. The servers run apache, bind, sql, postfix very smoothly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I have completely switched over to Linux mainly due to religious/siritual reasons. What I do on my computer has not changed all that much, in fact they have grown in the things that I do and accomplish.
    Originally Posted by TheMTtakeover:
    You switched to Ubuntu for religious reasons? Oh please do explain.
    Good question! jeje
    Last edited by José Serra; March 31st, 2013 at 01:58 AM.

Beans

If you have problems with gaming on Linux, make a Windows Virtual Machine. Install VirtualBox from the ubuntu software center, make a new virtual machine, set its specs, and install windows. Then you can stay with Linux and still be a gamer.

Beans

Never had anything else. I built my first PC, was broke. Started with Mandrake, and now I use a Ubuntu version of PuppyLinux, LucidPup-528. Tried the Precise Puppy version, but for the moment I prefer this Lucid one. Habits die hard. I'm going to try out Arch Pup for my new server, but it is complicated in comparison.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Puppy Linux 5.2.8 I think is my all time favorite Linux distro. I try and use other ones but I keep coming back to 5.2.8. Absolutely LOVE it!! I have Icewm, Openbox, jwm and xfce as my choices. Any other good ones to try?
    Randy McElligott
    www.mcran.com

For the best in Jazz, In Transition every Sunday from noon-2pm EST www.chuo.fm

Beans

I switched to Ubuntu from a Windows 7 and for this 2 months I have it I like it. Yes I am still a n00b for a Linux OS but I learned some things. It's more safer than any Microsoft OS and more stable. That's from my exp. so far. Yes on Linux it's sometimes more complicated to install a game (it's not all "next to next" button mashing ) but I like it that way. Give you more satisfaction when you are done. Idk what else to tell only that I will never ever use Windows. Plus when I learn a little more I am thinking of installing Arch. I like the idea of building OS basically from scratch. Hope this help to convert more of people to Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unfortunately still holding a win 7 version on one of partitions. I used it idk maybe 4 times in last year but still some software just doesn't offer what I need in open source world, thus the hold of win copy for now, I'm not fan of wine thus reason why dual boot is better solution for me. I quite new on ubuntu, first distro i installed was 9.10, but at time was not convinced With 12.04 i somehow returned to ubuntu and started to work on, and use regularly only ubuntu. However my wifes laptop hold a copy of xp in dual boot with mint and so far she did not start up xp neither once

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Cool Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I started using Free BSD about 1998, switched to Ubuntu around 2001, haven't looked back, just installed 12.10 64bit.
    my guilty secret is that I have win xp installed under virtualbox to run a couple of apps.
    dont know anyone running windows who hasn't had a virus or some kind or hack......
    Dread the thought of Windows 8, the more I hear of it, the less I want to have anything to do with it.

Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by MaxLinuxLover View Post
    If you have problems with gaming on Linux, make a Windows Virtual Machine. Install VirtualBox from the ubuntu software center, make a new virtual machine, set its specs, and install windows. Then you can stay with Linux and still be a gamer.
    Do you have an idea how much resources that would chew up? && If it's a hardware/drivers issue, Virtualbox won't do anything.

Page 937 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 437837887927935936937938939947987 ... LastLast