Page 999 of 1000 FirstFirst ... 4998999499899979989991000 LastLast
Results 9,981 to 9,990 of 9991

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I switched about 20 years ago. I first tried Red Hat, but didn't care for that distribution at the time. Then I went with several Debian distros before coming to Ubuntu with Feisty Fawn (7.04). I have been with Ubuntu since that time. I was so glad that there were realistic alternatives to Microsoft that it made no difference to me that I was responsible for my own support. Obviously Ubuntu has grown significantly since I first started using it, but the journey has been worth the ride.

Beans

Red face Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Microsoft Windows 10 was running my HDD almost constantly and slowing my system even for standard operations. I was paying for MSOffice monthly for the suite because I used it for the work I do.

I started looking at Linux packages last month, struggled with getting my computer to boot from the USB drive (finally unplugged all the other drives), and got it installed to another HDD. I haven't booted to Win10 since Friday. Ubuntu has a nice package of apps that load from the "Ubuntu Software" app for most programs I was running.

There are some geek-tastic prickly points still, but it feels like I have my process, HDD, and memory back from slavery.

dp

Beans

Its been 2 years i have using Linux its really an awesome experience & little complicated some times.

Beans

As long as Microsoft keeps pushing bloatware/spyware i don't think Linux has anything to worry about

Beans

I used gentoo for a couple of years. After my hard drive cratered i got lazy and installed ubuntu rather then go through the work of setting up gentoo again. I'm not a gamer so ubuntu does everything I need. I have plenty of hard drive space so I will leave windows there but unused.

--glenn
    Last edited by psychohermit; September 11th, 2021 at 06:46 PM.

Beans

I dated two geeks in a row, and both were passionate about Linux. They converted me to their cult. I'm now a believer for over 15 years, though I'm far from mastering/understanding it all.

My old printer was over 20 yrs old and died. So I had to go to a printing shop for awhile, until I could afford to buy a new printer. The shop is using very slow computers with Windows OS. How irritating.

Everytime I go there for a printing session, I'm so glad and relieved to come back home to my good old xUbuntu.

Beans

Trashed windows in 2002. adopted slackware. no package management, compile your own kernel figure out how X works, and get KDE working. Lot of effort, steep learning curve. But loved the built in terminal and scripting languages.
    Then MacOS came along, and I never looked back.

Today, 2021, Linux is still unusable out of the box. It still requires tinkering, and on any forum there are no authoritative answers. There are a thousand wrong answers on any question how to do things. Linux desktop is going to lose momentum and will be gone within 10 years. Chromebook etc will take over because we're all getting used to iOS and android.

Linux server - different story. There is no equivalent or alternative.

Today I'm running macOS. Not because it's the best, but it is not as bad as linux desktop and much, much better than windows.

Getting Linux come up as winner? Easy. Stop striving to make an improved Windows. Start striving to make a better macOS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by toot-fluegelhorn View Post
    <snip>

Today, 2021, Linux is still unusable out of the box. It still requires tinkering, and on any forum there are no authoritative answers. There are a thousand wrong answers on any question how to do things. Linux desktop is going to lose momentum and will be gone within 10 years. Chromebook etc will take over because we're all getting used to iOS and android.

Linux server - different story. There is no equivalent or alternative.

Today I'm running macOS. Not because it's the best, but it is not as bad as linux desktop and much, much better than windows.

Getting Linux come up as winner? Easy. Stop striving to make an improved Windows. Start striving to make a better macOS.
    Unusable? Really?

I don't know why you believe that, as in my opinion it is just about the only OS commonly available that is usable out of the box. Certainly after installing Xubuntu I can manage to do almost all of the things for which I now need a computer.
    I do not know what applications come by default with the Mac OSs, but Windows seems to have fewer and fewer installed by default other than a browser and email software, or it did the last time I installed and used it. Has that changed now?

Install any of the Ubuntu family of OSs and you should find, assuming the hardware is compatible, that you have an OS that can be used to do the majority of activities that many computer users need.
    It will have a browser, email application, office software, multimedia software and graphics software already installed and ready for use!

What more is needed by most users?

I see that your other posts are largely about quite hi-tech minor use applications, eg remote desktop, and its connection with a Mac machine, something most users will never need.
    You say we're all getting used to iOS and android; well android maybe, but iOS, I think not. It's far to expensive and is locked down too much according to many.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Stop striving to make an improved Windows.
    Nobody is trying to do that. We don't want Linux to be like Windows.

Start striving to make a better macOS.
    Why? There is already a macOS. We don't want Linux to be like macOS.

It still requires tinkering ...
    No, it doesn't. Unless, of course, you want to.

Remote desktop? Easy as doing it from one Windows machine to another. I work from home at our farm and use it from my works out of the box Kubuntu installation for my clients who are Windows shops. The only thing I need is some information from the client to understand their setup. I have no idea about macOS. If it is troublesome, then perhaps that is an issue with macOS?

You may have had struggles. But you are hasty in making the generalization that everyone else does.

No OS is perfect and one is bound to find help forums, some with terribly wrong answers, for any of them. What appears to be "everyone" seeking answers is only a subset of users. What percentage of users asks for assistance on a support forum? Of those, how many are simply asking the best way to do something? How many Windows or macOS help forums are there? What percentage of users of those OSes is represented in those forums.

I can tell you from my experience helping people on Windows forums that the nature of the questions is absolutely no different than Linux. And I often had people invoke cmd to solve issues, just as Linux forums do. Why? Because the command line is powerful and fine grained. In Linux, it is especially helpful because nobody needs to know the intricacies of every one of dozens of DEs. The terminal is the lingua franca that works across the board.

You have based your assumptions on a sample size of one. You do not consider the millions of others who use Linux without any issues at all. Those people don't come to forums to complain about things working correctly, nor do they ask for help in making them not work correctly.

We have many a drive-by critic passing through here spouting FUD. You are neither unique nor particularly insightful. Don't like Linux? Don't use it. And don't spend your time trying to convince a community that knows Linux works that it doesn't.

You are free to toot your flügelhorn elsewhere.
    Last edited by QIII; October 2nd, 2021 at 08:12 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

My Macbook Air (bought in 2011) was "given up" by Apple (no updates anymore). Ubuntu gave it back a life. I erased MacOS completely. Will need to find a similar solution for my iPad Mini. Never felt comfortable with MacOS or Windows.
    Ubuntu / Linux feels great. I am not addicted on gaming. I care for a socially (civilized) behaving community. I like a revolutionary attitude.

Page 999 of 1000 FirstFirst ... 4998999499899979989991000 LastLast