Page 997 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 497897947987995996997998999 ... LastLast
Results 9,961 to 9,970 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I started using Ubuntu in around 2009. since then i have to 95 % only used Ubuntu.. The only reason that i still use Windows sometimes is Fifa.

Beans

I mostly switched to linux way back in 2006/2007. I kept a dual boot every now and then for things that only worked on windows. Sometimes I wiped the dual boot and only used linux on my laptops.

Had the second gen Surface Pro tablet cause I thought I'd be able to install linux onto it, but linux support never got fully working for the first few years and then I accidentally dropped it onto the ground and the screen broke badly.

Then in 2015 I bought the intel NUC5i7 and installed archlinux onto it and it's still working good. I distro-hopped a bit but am back to archlinux on it for now, but might turn it into something else like a HTPC now that I have the NUC10i7.

I also bought the 2017 Pixelbook and used that for a while but it broke and became unbootable. The Pixelbook was cool and had a linux kernel based on gentoo with grsecurity and ran wayland. It was fun to mess around with crostini and chromebrew, but I missed a full linux distro desktop environment, and crostini was very new and being developed at the time. I did not like the android apps that never worked that great. VPN support was bad back then, and I was bummed out that the Pixelbook couldn't support 4k HEVC GoPro videos and had to film in 1440p. (If the Pixelbook hadn't bricked then I might have been able to use crostini to work with ffmpeg and kdenlive, but it broke before I got a chance to try it, and I doubt it had enough ram to do it)

I purchased my first Apple product, the ipad pro 4th gen with the magic keyboard, and I really like it for the very professional apps for banking, credit cards, amazon, instacart, grubhub, and social media like twitter. Safari is pretty decent on the ipad pro and the apple pencil is fun to draw with.

My newest computer is the intel NUC10i7 and it's running ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. I had clearlinux OS working nicely on it right before I installed ubuntu. I felt like giving ubuntu a try since I hadn't used it since 2007 and am very glad I did. Clearlinux was cool but you had to build most things from scratch like ffmpeg. Firefox never really worked that great like it does in ubuntu with everything working out-of-the-box perfectly, and VLC didn't play 4k videos that I could play with ffplay. The main thing I wanted to do with my new NUC10 was to edit GoPro videos with kdenlive and so far ubuntu has been working perfectly for that.

ubuntu using all 12 cores while using kdenlive: https://imageshack.com/i/pmDU94Msp

kdenlive on ubuntu 20.04.1: https://imageshack.com/i/pmI4oncmp
    Last edited by howefield; August 19th, 2020 at 06:49 PM.

Beans

Started with Ubuntu 12.04 in 2012(?) and then had 16.04 mate and W7 on a single dual boot drive for 4 years or so. I had a number of issues caused by Windows that nearly lost me my data and decided a few months ago to run 3 separate drives: updated Linux, W7P (W10 is shite) and Data. I've been working my way through different distros looking for a mixed of speed, functionality and idiot-proofness. I've now come almost full circle and am now running 20.04 mate and the last time I used windows was a few months ago. Wine does most windowsy type stuff and frankly, for me, the few things it doesn't are those which I can do without...so I do

Beans

I have fully switched but still need windows for turbo tax and a program called myheritage.com. Figured how to use crossover for Microsoft office so only two programs holding me back are those two. Prefer desktop version to cloud for TurboTax or else to web version. Frustrating.

Beans

I was a Liinux on-and-off Newbie distro-switcher and then quitter for about fifteen or twenty years then about a year and a half ago, maybe two, I switched all my machines and all my operations to Ubuntu Linux and used all free applications and no paid ones. I do all my paperback book layouts, all my book-cover designs, all my personal correspondence, all my internet surfing and all my media viewing and listening through it. I have no operations whatsoever on Windows or Apple OS in my house, although all my machines are Apple machines, an almost-ten-year-old iMac and an almost-eight-year-old mac mini.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Thompson View Post
    I was a Liinux on-and-off Newbie distro-switcher and then quitter for about fifteen or twenty years then about a year and a half ago, maybe two, I switched all my machines and all my operations to Ubuntu Linux and used all free applications and no paid ones. I do all my paperback book layouts, all my book-cover designs, all my personal correspondence, all my internet surfing and all my media viewing and listening through it. I have no operations whatsoever on Windows or Apple OS in my house, although all my machines are Apple machines, an almost-ten-year-old iMac and an almost-eight-year-old mac mini.
    How has been your experience with Ubuntu on a Mac?
    I have both a PC with Ubuntu installed and a Mac laptop with OSX. I find my Mac laptop more reliable, but I was afraid I would regret getting rid of OS/X. I am hesitant to make the move now.
    You said you aren't using any paid application, but did you have to install non-free kernel drivers to get all your devices working correctly (webcam, Apple headset support, etc)?

Beans

I am completely switched to linux and 99% happy 1% crying to fix basic stuff.

Beans

I migrated back then to Linux, because I couldn't do anything under Windows 2000, I was fed up with paying versions of EDI for Java on a voluntary and commercially limited basis. The advantage is that it forced me to learn my system admin culture and it is intellectually much healthier

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

it is intellectually much healthier

Beans

I completely switched to Linux (Fedora) in 2010.
    I switched to Ubuntu 20.04 some months ago.
    I don't use any Windows applications

Page 997 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 497897947987995996997998999 ... LastLast