Page 995 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 495895945985993994995996997 ... LastLast
Results 9,941 to 9,950 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I started using linux in 2005 I think. I remember upgrading to Debian sarge and I was recommended to try Ubuntu so I did but for a long time I was a Debian user until someday I gpt tired of Debian and started to use Ubuntu because of the LST releases .

I did not use windows all that time but recently (last month) I got a couple of old laptops which has windows installed and I just use them as they are until I find time to install a BSD system on one of them and a Linux on the other one.

the first linux installation I did was from a book that included a CD with corel linux on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corel_Linux so its a old distribution but I cant remember exactly the year I switched to using only linux. there is nothing I I Need I cant do on a linux system and I never played computer games so there is really no need for me to use windows at all.

I will use windows if its the only thing I can get access to but I have a hard time figuring out how to use it after all these years of using linux.

Beans

I think Windows still the most popular system.

Beans

I did. Been working on Microsoft Beta software for two years. But, it ruined my hard drive. So I changed linux, which is much easier to work. And I no intention of running Windows again. It is not as nice as Ubuntu.

Beans

I use Ubuntu 99.9 percent of the time. I run one software in Wine. There are several games like my jigsaw puzzle software and my majong software that I run in Windows 7 in Virtual Box.

I'm not a "gamer".

One is not required to never use Windows software again; one can run it in Wine or in Windows in Virtual Box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lorenkjr View Post
    I did. Been working on Microsoft Beta software for two years. But, it ruined my hard drive. So I changed linux, which is much easier to work. And I no intention of running Windows again. It is not as nice as Ubuntu.
    Although I generally agree with the sentiment, some information should be corrected: OSes do NOT ruin hard drives, not even Windows. Standing for what you like is great but please only with truthful statements, not by spreading FUD.

Beans

I'm still bound to running a Windows VM for office. The web app are good, but not perfect. Also, the laptop drivers for the XPS I'm running are good, but not superb - some screen tearing, etc.

I think Linux is almost there. I'm waiting on MS to port some functionality over and for this machine to become old enough that the driver bugs are fixed.

Beans

I am making the leap for the second time as I write this. Used Ubuntu back in 2005-6 on an older laptop when I worked abroad.
    Now I have just build a new computer and am sick of bloatware that bogs windows down.
    Only 2 apps hold me back to windows. Autocad and Premier pro.
    Planning on running them on a virtual machine inside Ubuntu.
    Still ironing our plenty of niggly problems. (WIFI dongle not recognised, Virtualisation not allowing 64bit OS, have to find an elegant replacement for Macrium reflect for system backups, etc....
    I know its off topic but if anyone has a tip on any of these issues, pls DM me. Id be super happy.

Beans

I started experimenting with Slackware in the Stone Age and even coherent for a while.

Then ran Debian for years. Then Suse.

For personal use I've been using Linux 100% full-time since 2001.

I mainly run ubuntu variants now - anything that best suits the hardware.

Office tasks, coding, and the usual browser related stuff - and never have too much trouble finding answers to problems when they crop up.

However, for work, I have to use their systems which run Windows for Autodesk Inventor, AutoCAD, among others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Over the last 14 or so years I've been in the Linux community (my presence here goes back to 2007, but the account I used is far and long forgotten), I've had spurts where I've used Linux exclusively.

Usually the decider in me leaving is League of Legends.

At the moment I've been taking the tool approach. I've got an Intel NUC I use for persistent servers I write. Currently running 18.04. It is... by far the quickest thing to set up as a host. I also have an RPI just running the base Raspbian for use as a microcontroller.

I have a Chromebook with the built in Debian Wheezy container, and my desktop is currently Windows 10. Mainly the reason for this is cost and the form factor. I can get a C++ compiler on it without selling my soul to anyone, so that's the biggest win. In Windows 10 - what C++ development I want to do is mainly via the remote mode on CLion to my RPI.

I had a MBP for a while, but it's just really not the development heaven I thought it'd be. Apple locked down the Unix portions of the OS pretty hard, and the directory structure is *scantly* Unix. It's nice if you want a commercial Unix, but it's really not as well done of a development experience as Linux.

In an absolutely perfect world, I'd be running Linux on everything for the shared ecosystem benefits. But 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The most popular O.S here in Philippines is Microsoft Windows and most of the Filipino never heard such Linux O.S only few Filipino who knows Linux and I am one of those. I knew Linux since 2003 by that time it is "Red Hat" I encounter, then I encounter the "Ubuntu", the 3D one, that is the time that I begin to have the interest in Linux until then, But I don't have the machine yet to use at that time. I never denied that I've started to learn computing using Microsoft O.S. But now, I have my Ubuntu installed in my machine till then I never switch to Microsoft.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Page 995 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 495895945985993994995996997 ... LastLast