Page 994 of 994 FirstFirst ... 494894944984992993994
Results 9,931 to 9,939 of 9939

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I switched to Linux in 1996 with Debian from FreeBSD. I don't really have much Windows experience but I do play a few windows games via wine and a few steam games. I currently run Kubuntu 19.10 development on my main PC, Raspian stretch on my pi and Ubuntu Server 18.04 on my firewall/file server. I also have experience with most all other Linux distros too including Fedora/RedHat/CentOS, Arch, Gentoo, and Linux Form Scratch (LFS).

Beans

Use Oracle VirtualBox. I use it to run Windows 7 because my stupidly expensive Engineering software is windows only
    It's really easy. Down load it from Oracle then install and start up a VM environment that you call whatever you want, and install Windows from the OS disk. Then within that virtual environment that you just made, navigate to a drop down called Devices ( it'll be in a black area over the Windows screen) and select "Insert Guest Additions CD image" That'll give you a set of drivers to enhance graphics and other things. Then you are golden to run any windows **** you want.

Beans

I switched fully - again today.

I have been using Linux for over 15 years, but the time felt right. I've found a distro I really like, the ubuntu mate with the fork of gnome 2 and ubuntu server for the backup pc.

The mate project has made me love using desktop linux all over again.

Beans

Switched over 20 years ago, then 2 years ago switched completely to FreeBSD. Switched back to Linux about a week ago. Was a huge distro hopper and it drove me nuts. FreeBSD is an amazing OS but on the desktop, it can be problematic. I got so tired of hopping from one Linux distro to the next, searching for something that just works. Ubuntu just works, even though I can't stand the "dock", it's not a deal breaker.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 19.04 Disco Dingo

Being on Ubuntu Studio since around 2008 - moved to UbuntuStudio because I did not like Unity in Ubuntu. Still have a copy of Windows running to do occasional Windows-only tasks such as updating my GPS, iTunes and various mobile phone apps.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    Sent from my iSomething running Linux - safe, fast and it is free! Didn't have to pay for the badge

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I haven't used Windows for anything since about 2010. I've hopped around with several distros, settling on Xfce as my favorite desktop, and using it on a few Ubuntu-based distros (Mint, Linux Lite, etc) and several non-Ubuntu-based distros (PCLinuxOS, Salix, Debian, Manjero, MX, antiX) and keep coming back to my old favorite, reliable, stable, solid, perfect-out-of-the-box Xubuntu. I got through all my college coursework without any need for Windows-only software, except for one mandatory "computer course" in my Freshman year that required Windows, but I was able to demonstrate that all the same tasks could be accomplished on Linux just as effectively and just as simply, free of cost and free of all the interruptions, dangers, and hassle of doing it "their way." I really hope more schools and colleges will see the folly of locking everybody in to a single vendor.

Beans

Not used Windows since about 2005. I was developing a software system at the time that I had to build fairly often and it took 7 minutes. About the time it takes to go make a coffee. I was drinking more coffee than working.
    I figured I needed to upgrade my laptop but that was in the days when a new laptop would come with Windows Vista which everyone was saying was bad.
    So I installed Ubuntu and tried it out. When I ran that build it was.... 1 minute.
    So I never went back to Windows.
    A couple of years ago I convinced my wife to switch from Windows XP over to Lubuntu. She held on to XP for years because she knew it well and the newer versions of Windows looked too different. When support for XP stopped she had to switch to something and Lubuntu looks quite a lot like XP so that works for her.
    Now there are no Windows machines in our house. We don't even use Wine any more.

Beans

Unfortunately I have retained by windows PC, as I live to record my (not very often) runs. I have a tomtom running watch, and the manufacturor does not support Unix. So, I am left with Windows. Sad times. But apart from that, I use Ubuntu for everything else.

Beans

I can not completely switch to Linux for a number of reasons.
    1. MS office Linux analogues are sooooo damp
    2. There is no "mail.ru agent" at all
    3. Dota does not work, the wine is buggy

I use Linux only for work.

I hope someday I will completely switch to Linux.

Page 994 of 994 FirstFirst ... 494894944984992993994